Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-19-2023, 06:27 PM   #1

SUN #13897
subvet is an unknown quantity at this point
New England Road Trip

My wife and I are planning a five-week road trip this summer through the New England states. We will be doing a weeklong shake down stay in Pennsylvania and then heading out for our five weeks.

We have been to various locations in New England over the years, but this will be a first for camping there. Does anyone have any "must sees" or campgrounds that we should definitely try to stay at while there? We are looking to spend about a week in each state.

Thank you in advance for any info you share. It is appreciated!

Steve

Old 12-20-2023, 11:32 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve,

Our club is a great place to ask about good places to camp. I have asked many times over the year and never had a bad recommendation.

Please give us a little more on what your camping likes/needs are so we can help better. Here are a few questions that can help as you create your trip and route.

Campground hookups: What type of hookup are you looking for? Electric only, water, sewer, boondocking (off-grid)?

What states will you visit in New England?

Activities you like to do, in or on the water, hiking, places of great natural beauty, bicycle riding, shopping, etc.?

Kids: Are you looking for kids' activities?

For the last several years, we have started from OH and made a 5 to 6-week trip through the northeast and camped along the route in NY, VT, NH, ME, PA, and then back to OH, about a 2,500 to 2,800-mile round trip. There is a lot to see and do all over. There is so much to see and do in the Northeast; it can take many years, and you still will see only some of it. We also like to stay longer in some places and only one or two-day stopovers for others.

Each state/area has its unique things to do and see. We like to mix up the trip; about 1/2 of our trip is boondocking camping on waterfront area sites. For the rest of the camps, we mainly camp with onboard tanks and have electricity, but sometimes we end up with full hook-ups. It all depends on where and what we are doing. We have 2 or 3 main places we want to stay at, and we reserve those sites in advance, 12 months and 9 months pending the state for the exact site we want. Then, we built a route and other camps to complete the trip.

Good luck and have fun.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:17 PM   #3

SUN #13897
subvet is an unknown quantity at this point
John,
Thank you for your response. I will answer the questions you presented and hope that will further define what we are looking to do during this trip.

Since this trip will be the first time we have ever traveled long-term in our travel trailer, we are looking to stay at campgrounds with full hook-ups or at the very least – electric and water. This really will be a “getting our feet wet” experience so I’m not so sure we’re ready to dive into boondocking. We do realize that this may be a bit more constrictive, but we are willing to put in some miles on a day trip to see something while having the luxury of a full hookup, etc. where we are camping.

We will be making a stop in New York, then heading off to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts. We’re not that concerned about getting to Connecticut on this trip.

We love to hike and especially enjoy waterfalls. We do enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. We won’t be doing any bicycling or things on the water unless it would be an excursion of some type.

My wife and I will be traveling with only our dog so no kids’ activities are needed on this trip. We will be camping with the grandkids later in the summer!

I’d be interested to hear about your 2 or 3 main places you stay. I really think that’s what I am searching for here as well – some places to have as anchor points and then build the trip from there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone may have. They will be appreciated!

Steve
Old 12-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #4

SUN #2061
crburrows is an unknown quantity at this point
Subvet:
We have camped at "Beech Hill Campground & Cabins" P.O. Box 129 Twin Mountain, NH.
It is a simple campground that locates us just North of the White Mountains. The White Mountains and surrounding towns have plenty to see and do.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:05 PM   #5

SUN #655
tcmbk
Steve,

We are fellow campers & hikers from CT, and have camped all over New England. In Maine you have to visit Acadia National Park, it has everything. We like Bass Harbor Campground and Smuggler's Den Campground. In New Hampshire we stayed at Fransted Family Campground in Franconia in the White Mountain area. We found two excellent hiking areas (Bronson Hill Conservation Area & Cooley-Jericho Community Forest) in the town of Sugar Hill. We also like the Newfound Lake RV Park and Campground in Bridgewater, NH. Nice hiking around the Goose Pond area. In Vermont we stayed at the Dorset RV Campground in Dorset, VT last year. A lot of good hiking in the area, especially at Merck Forest & Farmland Center. Happy camping and hiking.

Tom