Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
2011 Sunline Road Trip with pics

Hi Folks,

Finally found time to post this. Here is a recap of our summer Sunline road trip. This year we did this in July due to work being really busy in September when we usually go.

The trip started off heading to NY from central Ohio with an over night pit stop the first night at Cindy’s Mom’s place on lake Erie.

Cindy’s Mom has a cottage on the shores of Lake Erie. Been in the family since the 50’s. Here is a pic looking over Lake Erie from the beach house.

Then we headed off to the Thousand Island area for a night. Here is a stop along the way at a rest area. Just admiring the Sunline.

Then over the water to bridge to Wesley Island in the Thousand Island area.

We stayed 1 night here as a rest over. Next year we may go back longer. Cindy went to this area as a child and wants to see the castle again.

Seems this park is home to these very large birds that make really big nests in the strangest places. Any power pole was sort of fair game…

Lots of water up there…. Everywhere

We where then hitched back up and headed east into the Adirondacks. More water on the way out of Wesley Island…

After a nice drive through the upper portion of the park we ended up here. Rollins Pond. This was sort of the pinnacle of the trip.

You are in the woods…

We had a great site with a great view.

In the morning when I was out fixing breakfast you can stare out onto the lake that is a paddlers dream. We call this paddling on glass. Boy this is hard to leave….

During the stay we made a trip to Lake Placid to visit the Olympic city the world came to see. I lived in NYS for 32 years and never made it up here. Now I go back to vacation…LOL

The older ice rink.

The Olympic museum.

Learned something new. Never knew the Bob Sled started in out in Albany NY which was about 40 miles north of home.

Sadly we had to leave… and headed down to the lower Hudson valley to visit with my Mom for several days. Mom’s place is near the land of Rip Van Winkle. The bridge over the Hudson river.

And the Castle up on the mountain you can see coming off the bridge.

If you where up in the Olana parking lot and looked due east you would see our farm. Our back property boarder the state lands which now owns the Olana historical site.

Here we are camped at camp Barca next to Mom’s house. Yes Kitty, NY has hills too….

After we trimmed up all the bushes, fixed some things on the house and did what else was on Mom’s list, (Mom is now 87) now back on the road again. We ended up here in western north PA.

Cowanesque is a Army Corp park. Nice camp ground.

Here we are in our site. Boy was it hot…. The good news is since we where boondocking in the Adirondacks it was great weather there and we did not need the AC on. But here, it was brutal without it.

H’mm then I look down the camp road. What’s that? Is that another a Sunline! Hey we are from Ohio and seeing another Sunline in the same campground is a big deal…. Don’t see them too often.

Yup it has to be.

Well we had a mini Meet and Greet with Frank and Kathy (aka “Frank”, you know the TT builder guy) from here on the forum. Frank does one heck of a pasta dish…. Yummy!

We did a trip to the Corning Glass Museum. OMG… never seen so much glass all in one spot… If you come to this area, this is a must see.

Just one of the hundreds of glass displays.

While I had preconceived notions of this museum being glass figurines it was more then that. It had many interesting exhibits on the advances of Corning cook ware, how to make glass and then techy stuff. Never dawned on me, fiber optics started here at Corning on a commercial scale. It may have been what helped save the company as one can only sell so many pots and dishes… Interesting to see how this part of history is now a big part of how data is delivered everywhere shining through stands of really thing glass fibers. The glass museum was one of Cindy’s highlights of the trip.

Then we where back on the road again to Ohio. Stayed the last 2 nights at this state park which we have used several times coming back from PA or NYS.

A little over 1,600 miles and 18 camping nights. It was a great time. Thanks for looking.

John and Cindy

For more pic’s of the trip see here: 2011 Sunline Road Trip

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
... sigh .... can't wait for the warm summer weather camping

Looks like you had a nice trip. Thanks for the pictures John.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
Beautiful ...thanks for posting!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Great trip report John,

Looks & sounds like Cindy & you had a really nice trip. In all my travels, I have to admit I never spent any time in New York, might be something Gary & I need to think about. Looks like there are a lot more state parks up there than there are in my area. Thank you for posting the pictures with descriptions.

I see you also had your "Sunline Spotting Glasses" on Gary & I always have SOC cards with us, that way we can hand them out or leave one on the rig in case the owners aren't around.

Glad you had such a wonderful trip.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

SUN #89
Thanks Folks, Glad you liked the pics

Yes it is time to start thinking about next year camping trips already. So many places to go, so little time... It looks like work is going to wipe out September again. We really like to fall camp. Just got the word last we week have another plant shutdown for 2 weeks in Sept. next year. These shutdowns are a big deal for our department. It's like you blow up the plant, tear it down and then 2 weeks later it has to run round the clock again for another year.

Kitty, New York has a lot of places to go see and camp at and so does PA and the surrounding states. Each with a different charm. The more we camp in these areas the more I realize it is going to take many years to see it all on the east coast before we ever head west... Want to get into MA, NH, Vermont and Maine too and then down the east coast.

Right now the roads trips are surrounded by a pit stop in the middle to visit Mom. It is like 800 miles out then 800 back just on different roads through different areas. Maybe this year we will head back through the middle or lower PA on the way home. PA state parks are really nice from what we have seen so far.

Thanks

John

Old 11-21-2011, 04:08 AM   #6

SUN #96
rebellious78
Great pictures John! Thanks for sharing them with us. We haven't been to far north yet, but we are going to put Rollins Pond on our trip list, for when we get up that way. It looks like an excellent place.

David & Mary Ann
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7L Powerstroke
2006 Sunline Solaris T-264-SR
2012 Palomino Bronco B1500LB
rebellious78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #7

SUN #1108
KathleenNY is an unknown quantity at this point
John, if your family farm is next to Olana, you are really in God's country. Been up and down that road many times and across the bridge too! Olana has a picture perfect view of the Hudson Valley. New York has so many beautiful sites. iThanks for sharing the pictures!
KathleenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #8

SUN #89
Mary Ann,

Rollins is for sure a great spot. They even have a fire wood truck and a ice cream truck go by twice a day.... That was a first for us to see that.

We really lucked out on the weather. The black flies and heavy skitters where gone by the time we came. The days where sunny and the nights cool. It was picture perfect. There are many camp grounds up there. We are just starting out in this area. Lots to see and camp at. Trying to figure out now which park we will go to for 2012. The size of our bigger camper makes us need to be a little more selective but there are folks with big 5th wheels bigger then ours in there too.

If your thinking of Rollins or the Fish Creek area the camp hosts created this amazing web site with ratings and pics of every site.... Fish Creek and Rollins are in the same area and you actually drive through Fish Creek to get to Rollins. This site has it all...Fish Creek Pond Campground - Rollins Pond That is one amazing site those 2 created. Very thankful for their kind generosity. And yes we found this great place from good folks here on SOC.

And the rest of NY. It is a big state. Lots to see.

Happy camping

John

Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #9

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenNY View Post
John, if your family farm is next to Olana, you are really in God's country. Been up and down that road many times and across the bridge too! Olana has a picture perfect view of the Hudson Valley. New York has so many beautiful sites. iThanks for sharing the pictures!
Kathleen,

Yes our farm was directly behind Olana. If you where coming off the Rip Van Winkle bridge and drove straight over the mountain you would end up in the back corn lot/Vineyard of our what was our farm. And yes it was God's country.

Glad you liked the pics

John

Old 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

SUN #3125
jtriggs1941 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, how beautiful! I wish winter was past....

Terri
jtriggs1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #11

SUN #3038
johnmanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, realy enjoyed the photos I feel like leaving now Jonn Manna
Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #12

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Great pix John, thanks for posting! Barbara and I love camping in NY state, the state campgrounds are really nice and the scenery is spectacular! She keeps asking when are we going back to Wellesly Island SP? Maybe next year.
Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #13

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
John,
What a wonderful and beautiful trip you guys had. The Olympics Museum was especially interesting to me.... thanks for sharing your trip!