Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Northern NYS, Southern NYS along PA boarder and North PA Road Trip - Need ideas.

Hi Fellow Sunline Campers

Last year for our 2010 road trip we asked SOC and ended up staying at 4 great campgrounds sugested by SOC members and seeing several wonderful sites. So we are asking again. Can’t seem to go wrong with a fellow Sunline camper recommendation!

We are planning our 2011 Sunline road trip and looking for some campgrounds and sites to see to along the way or in the area.

A little about the trip. Timing will be later June to early July.

We are heading up into the northern Adirondacks as Cindy wants to see the Lake Placid area and I really enjoy camping in that area. Boondocking is not a problem. Have no idea what to expect in the Lake Placid area, hoping there will be some type of Olympic museum or something there to see centered around the Olympics.

Looking for campgrounds and places to see anywhere in that area within a few hours drive of the Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake, Lake Placid area. Two Adirondack places we have found to see are: (Have no idea what to expect at either place. Anyone ever been? What does one expect?)

Santa's Workshop, North Pole NY
Great Camp Sagamore

Last year we visited the Adirondack Museum from a tip from a fellow Sunliner and it was great. So no need to suggest that one again and I highly recommend it to anyone but looking for more sites to see.

After the Adirondacks stay we are working our back to Ohio along the southern NY boarder area along the top of PA or the top part of PA. So again looking for campgrounds and places to see in that area.

As far as campgrounds we are looking to camp in CG’s in great natural beauty. State Forests, State Parks, DEC or Army Corp’s parks. And even open to private CG’s too. Our camper is 32 feet long so that is a consideration, we have to get in and out.... and only sites that we can reserve.

For places to see, this again are places of great natural beauty, interesting museums, unique towns with little shops, that something special to the area for starters.

So any suggestions? Any and all greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John and Cindy

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
Since you asked...if you stop at Ives Run (COE) over the July 4th weekend you just may run into a few other Sunlines It's a beautiful park with full hookups (in some sections) on a lake. You can walk to the fabulous fireworks display over the lake. The nearby town of Wellsboro has cute shops and restaurants. The Pine Creek rail trail is nearby, as is kayaking on the upper Pine. One of our favorite spots. Be forwarned that it's one of those places that it's tough to get a reservation.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
My mom visited North Pole, NY back when she was little in the '60s. I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since then... From the pictures I've seen though, it looks like it was a unique and interesting place back then.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a lot to do in the Lake Placid area. There is a museum in town and Google their website and you'll see the many other things to do there. There are too numerous campsites to mention between Placid and Saranac and Whiteface Mt areas so google that too. Note the Old Forge Adirondack meet and greet as well as the Western NY meet and greet near Rochester to see if they fit your plans. Travel back south down rt 30 and there are endless lakes and wonderful campsites for 80 miles from Tupper Lake. If you like hiking you'll have time for nothing else.

Enjoy
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
There is a lot to do in the Lake Placid area. There is a museum in town and Google their website and you'll see the many other things to do there. There are too numerous campsites to mention between Placid and Saranac and Whiteface Mt areas so google that too. Note the Old Forge Adirondack meet and greet as well as the Western NY meet and greet near Rochester to see if they fit your plans. Travel back south down rt 30 and there are endless lakes and wonderful campsites for 80 miles from Tupper Lake. If you like hiking you'll have time for nothing else.

Enjoy
Paul,

Thanks. I have been to both Nicks Lake and Southwoods M & G's in the past and they are GREAT!! In fact we liked Nicks so much last year we vacationed there. This year my work messes up our September camping plans big time. We have a big project install and it may wipe out Sept completely for camping so we have go earlier and then we have to fit the road trip in around other family (Grand kid) things. So Nicks M & G I know will not happen this year.

I have been researching the ADK area and I even have a full hard map of the area. I could spend a few years camping all the time trying to get to all the CG's in ADK park... And hope to some day.

I have found this site which has both attractions and campgrounds. Been reading and reading. Trip Planner | Visit Adirondacks - Official Travel Information for the Adirondack Region of New York

I know the campground names but it is hard from the web to figure out which ones are the best. Lot's of choices. Was hoping some have camped at them and can give a field report.... or been to a really neat place of interest. Don't miss this place.... Word of mouth goes a long way.

So many places to go, so little time.....

Thanks

John

Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
Since you asked...if you stop at Ives Run (COE)
H'mm, gee isn't Ives Run in PA! Every time I camp in PA it seems like it is Sunline Country. They are everywhere. Ya never know when a Sunline might just show up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
My mom visited North Pole, NY back when she was little in the '60s. I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since then... From the pictures I've seen though, it looks like it was a unique and interesting place back then.
Jon, LOL Gee, I resemble that comment..... From what I have read they are trying to make it like it use to be... In fact doing web research the Adirondack Railroad Adirondack Scenic Railroad | Utica | Thendara | Saranac Lake | Lake Placid | New York | Polar Express | Foliage has a Polar Express right now that will have a destination of the North Pole to see Santa. Looks really cool for the little ones and even us bigger ones...

Thanks

John

Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #7

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
John,

Last August/September we stayed at the Whiteface Mountain/Lake Placid KOA. Beautiful campground with lots of trees and huge, full hook up sites. Restrooms were spotless. This is a big KOA but the sites feel like you're in the woods. There are a couple of gorge walks close by as well as the ski lift to Little Whiteface. There is also the road to drive to the top of Whiteface which we didn't do because I refuse to drive up mountain roads to mountain tops. Marshall did the ski lift to Little Whiteface and loved it. Lake Placid has the Olympic games facility and just seeing the towers used for the ski jumps is overwhelming as they are on tops of mountains and you need to take an elevator to the top. There is also a scenic railroad between Lake Placid and Saranac. The drive from the KOA to Lake Placid is about 10 miles along the river and very, very scenic with pull offs. The river is also a favorite of trout fishermen.

There is one grocery store in Lake Placid but it's very nice and has great produce. We made a couple of trips there. And of course, plenty of restaurants in Lake Placid.

We ended the trip with a stop in Watkins Glen, NY, and toured a vineyard and brought home a case of wine.

Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote