Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-30-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

SUN #12816
golfah40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nube Advancer L25r lite owner

Hi all
Picked up a 2000 L25R lite today.
Needs a good cleaning and a new hot water tank.
Any suggestions on where and how welcomed!

We are so excited. Havent had a trailer in more years than i want to say. Hoping to get it in shape for an early fall trip to the white mountains.

Any advice welcome
Barb

Old 07-31-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Barb!

Congrats on your new Sunny! Good times ahead.

On the new hot water tank, we can help you locate the right part number of the tank to look for, but we need some info from you to make sure the one you have now is still the original brand Sunline put in, as a prior owner may have changed something.

NOTE: Due to supply shortages, it is very difficult to find a complete new water heater right now due to Covid. However, you asked only for a new tank, they may be available. We can help you look for a new tank, then you would reuse all the other older parts off the heater in the camper now. We can help on how to do all this when the time comes.

We need the model number of the water heater. To find the heater model tag, go outside the camper and open the outside water heater compartment door. Facing the water heater, on your right hand side should be a sticker with the brand and model number, assuming it is still an Atwood water heater.

The tag will look similar to this, just this is a different heater then yours would be.

The tag will look like this, but have a different model number

If the model number sticker is unreadable, then post a picture of the outside of the water heater with the white door down and inside the camper, take a picture of the back side of the water heater which shows how the pipes and any wiring hooks up.

Ideally take and post a few pics of the heater with the door open even if the model number is available. We can see if you may need any other parts that may have been too far rusted and need replacement.

In case you want to add pics, there are 3 ways to add pics.

1. Upload pics to a specific post attaching them at the end of the post.

2. Linking them in from a public viewable web photo hosting service you have.

See here for 1 and 2 https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post86041

3. You can upload pics to the forum in your own personal photo album. Then link them to anywhere in the text of a post. See here on how to create an album. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post87945

If you still get stuck, let us know. Pic's go a long way in helping show things you are working on or needing.

Hope this helps,

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #3

SUN #12816
golfah40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi John
Thanks. I added picture to online album. But must say after pulling it out it really needs all new.

I have read about tankless heaters for RVs and wondering if any experience with these. Seems like not having a tank would be good???
Barb
Old 08-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Barb,

For your model heater,

That model comes out to use a Atwood part number 91593 service tank kit.
Here is one place, RV Upgrades, I get parts from and they have pics of all 4 sides what comes in the service kit.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Atwoo...-p/42-0323.htm

Now the bad news, I looked on 8 of my normal go to places for Atwood parts, and all of them are out of stock on the tank kit. It seems, since a complete Atwood water heater is not available, many have caught on to rebuild the old one. You can also check some local RV dealers with that part number, some may stock it. There may be someone in the US with one still on the shelf. It will be a hunt with all the Covid issues in supply.

That part number I listed came off of the older Atwood service manual, page 40, (pdf page 51) that we have on our FILES section here on the forum. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/d...do=file&id=461

If you go to buy this, suggest calling the place you are buying it from and confirm with your model number the part is correct. It should be, but always best to check.

You mentioned it looked like the rest was bad, I did not see a pic of the rest but this may help you if you have to buy much more then a tank, assuming you even can find one. Earlier this year I rebuilt an Atwood heater on one of my project campers. The tank was good but the gas valve and gas burner needed to be replaced. Since the tank was good, it was cost justified to fix the rest. You can get some of the cost off the bill of material sheet on this post.
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post154839

There is another option for an all new tank type water heater that will/should fit in the same hole, Suburban, the other big name in RV water heaters makes a replacement heater for the Atwood. See here for more info
https://www.airxcel.com/docs/default...rsn=f5031d6b_2

If you go that route, make sure the hole in the camper will fit the new heater. It says it should, but still check. There also may need to be some piping changes on the back, but it should fit in the camper.

You mentioned the tankless heater, Suburban makes one, I have never seen it in person, they claim to covert a camper that had an Atwood, you need a door upgrade, and vent. https://www.airxcel.com/rv/suburban/...d-water-heater

I have never done one of those conversions, just passing the option along. You will need to work through the changes needed to hook up the pipes, electric and LP gas.

Hope this helps,

Let us know how you make out.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote