Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

SUN #12810
Mainereb is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Relatively "new" owner

I have owned my 2007 Que now for 2 years. Haven't got a lot of use from it, but I want to maintain it as well as possible. I have a patch job I need to do on the front area of the trailer. Repair was done by previous owner, but it hasn't held up very well. I also want to replace wheel seals,but can't find the brand of axle in my manual. I know it has the 3500# axle by the plate on left front of trailer. I had one side apart and noticed that someone had used a Speedi Sleeve, but couldn't discern a number for the seal. It has 10"x2 1/4" brakes, which I think I'm going to replace with new and avoid problems.
Can anyone help me out with a seal number? Also, is the exterior skin of this thing fiberglas or some form of vinyl?
Any and all help/response is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Yes, I am not the sharpest on trailers, but I can do mechanical work just fine

Old 07-29-2021, 07:29 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Mainereb!

A 10" x 2 1/4" brake size is common for a 3,500# axle. Any chance you can post a picture of the brakes with the drum off? I can often tell by looking at the brake shoe assembly which brand it is.

OR, look on the axle tube for a axle tag. Sunline used Dexter, Alko and Lippert (LCI) during the 2007 time frame pending camper size. The 3,500 # axles where normally Dexter, but the Que is special and it might have something else. If you have the Sunline manual they would record the axle brand and numbers on a yellow inspection sheet in the manual.

There are 3 ways to add pics.

1. Upload pics to a specific post attaching them at the end of the post.

2. Linking them in from a public viewable web photo hosting service you have.

See here for 1 and 2 https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post86041

3. You can upload pics to the forum in your own personal photo album. Then link them to anywhere in the text of a post. See here on how to create an album. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post87945

If you still get stuck, let us know. Pic's go a long way in helping show things you are working on.

If you are thinking about replacing the brakes, they sell entire brake plates with shoes, magnets, adjusters , springs etc. as unit. You just bolt the entire break plate on and adjust the shoes to the drum. It is often cheaper to buy the entire brake plate ass'y then just buying replacement brake shoes.

The siding I "believe" is thin filon fiberglass siding bonded to a backer board and glued to the wall studs. The front and rear walls, were a one piece fiberglass molded cap. The Que was special, and what I described is what I think they did based on how they built the normal travel smooth side campers trailers and the fifth wheels with molded end caps in that time era.

You said they used a speedy sleeve, if that is what is called a Brake Buddy, a spring loaded end cap with a grease fitting, they can be bad news on a travel trailer with brakes on it. If that is what you have, I suggest you convert back to a standard bearing end cap or the EZ lub bearing end cap if the axle spindle has a grease fitting in the end of it.

Or are you referring to a shaft seal liner like this from SKF, https://www.skf.com/us/products/indu...-speedi-sleeve They are use to help correct a worn/rough shaft finish.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:03 AM   #3

SUN #12810
Mainereb is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanx

Thank you so much for your reply. The Speedi Sleeve I refer to is the later that you mentioned. I had already planned to just replace the brakes as you suggested on both sides. Seems like the easiest/best way to go.

The reason I asked about the material of the exterior is that there was a repair done on the front of the unit by a previous owner that is not as "permanent" as hoped for and now needs to be done again. I'm hoping a "normal" fiberglas repair will do the trick.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:44 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainereb View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. The Speedi Sleeve I refer to is the later that you mentioned. I had already planned to just replace the brakes as you suggested on both sides. Seems like the easiest/best way to go.

The reason I asked about the material of the exterior is that there was a repair done on the front of the unit by a previous owner that is not as "permanent" as hoped for and now needs to be done again. I'm hoping a "normal" fiberglas repair will do the trick.
Sounds like you have the brakes under control, I do believe (not totally sure) the front and rear end wall caps are a solid molded cap, which the "normal" fiberglass repair should work.

Let us know how you make out and any before and after pics. This really helps others coming behind you.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote