Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2023, 11:51 AM   #1

SUN #12992
Rlanger is an unknown quantity at this point
My Sunline T-276 SR roof flipped it's lid... Literally!

Greetings Sunline club folks! I've been haunting the forums here for awhile now. Getting lots of great tips and tricks for repairing and maintaining this trailer that we purchased 3 years ago (wish I had known about the moisture meter then but still glad I purchased it. It's a great trailer!)

I've done a lot of work repairing water damage to the slide floor, back of the slide and the entire back of the trailer. Earlier this year I found a wet spot on the driver side front roof (thanks water meter) and my buddy and I set about to repairing it. Following some of the great tutorials here we peeled back the rubber roof replaced the bud board back to the first vent, fixed a small section of rotted wood (fortunately the inner ceiling was fine) and even removed the front of the trailer to repair some water damage there.

After all that work, I went around and scraped off all the old caulk all the way around the roof, over vent covers etc. Again following the great how to posts I found here. All seemed right with the world.

OK sorry for the back story. All of that is to say, we finally got out camping for the first time after the repairs. When we stopped at the first rest stop I happened to look at the top of the trailer and wondered how that cardboard go wrapped around my vent. It didn't take long for me to figure out that what I was seeing wasn't cardboard, but the bottom of the rubber roof folded back on itself.

There wasn't much I could do about it in the parking lot without a ladder so we continued on to our destination. Once we got there my friend climbed up on the side of the truck (It must be nice being 7 feet tall) to take a peek.

What we discovered is that somehow, the rubber roof must have worked it's way out from under the front molding trim piece, caught some air and ripped off the roof.

So now I have two basic questions I'm hoping you folks can help me with:

What the heck happened? What did I do wrong with the original repair? I thought we did a really good job fixing this thing to begin with then to have this occur. I want to make sure whatever mistake we made we don't make again.

Is there any possible way I can fix this without having to replace the entire roof? I have very limited work area in my driveway. I had to take down part of my neighbor's fence in order to do the original fix and the caulking. My neighbor's pretty cool but I don't want to push my luck. That and the fact that it's outside is going to make it difficult for me to remove EVERYTHING to replace the whole roof.

For now, we've folded the roof back down, put a tarp over it (tied down) and will be putting plywood, 2x4 and ratchet straps over it to get us home.

For now, We're enjoying our stay at Knobel's till we head out on Thursday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user12992_pic7522_1692721889.jpg (74.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg user12992_pic7518_1692721883 (2).jpg (104.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg user12992_pic7519_1692721883.jpg (119.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg user12992_pic7520_1692721883.jpg (99.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg user12992_pic7524_1692721889.jpg (106.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg user12992_pic7525_1692721889.jpg (119.5 KB, 2 views)

Tags
repair, roof