Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-20-2008, 02:03 AM   #1

SUN #1632
WandaLust is an unknown quantity at this point
Roof Sagging

We notice the A/C unit on the roof is making the roof sag and hold water. A pool forms where it's sinking down. It's not well supported. How can this be fixed? It seems like an awfully big unit for such a small TT. You can't see the sag inside and there are no water stains on the ceiling.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 AM   #2

SUN #379
2beagles
When I pulled down the ceiling in our 15 1/2 SC, I was surprized to see how little there is holding up the roof. It's just 1 1/2" cross pieces every two feet or so, which are tapered from center to side to provide pitch to the roof.
As for a fix, there's not much you can do without pulling the ceiling down and reinforcing the ceiling supports. I'm using angle steel reinforcements under the center vent to allow for AC installation.
You might be better off to just make sure the AC stays well caulked, and keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't get worse.
You might also make a temporary support to put between the floor and the ceiling that you can put in place while towing and storing and then remove when you use the camper.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Those older coaches were really not designed to have AC in them, because it was a pretty new thing at the time. Later on it did become an option, but they did at least prep it with extra support.

If you really want to give it good support, you could remove the AC and install some more bracing inside the hole.

Another (expensive) option would be to replace the AC unit with a newer, more lightweight/efficient model. If you use the AC often at your house where you pay for electricity, this may be a cost-efficient move.

Also, the 15 1/2' SB does have the advantage of having a lot of windows, so, as Norm & Ginny have found, AC really isn't necessary. I'm sure you could find a good sized roof vent (more like an escape hatch) to fit in the hole. An exhaust fan might work well too to draw air through.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #4

SUN #1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beagles
When I pulled down the ceiling in our 15 1/2 SC, I was surprized to see how little there is holding up the roof. It's just 1 1/2" cross pieces every two feet or so, which are tapered from center to side to provide pitch to the roof.
As for a fix, there's not much you can do without pulling the ceiling down and reinforcing the ceiling supports. I'm using angle steel reinforcements under the center vent to allow for AC installation.
You might be better off to just make sure the AC stays well caulked, and keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't get worse.
You might also make a temporary support to put between the floor and the ceiling that you can put in place while towing and storing and then remove when you use the camper.
====================================

It's hard to see except from the Porch, looking down on it You can't tell from inside. If it sags slowly we wouldn't notice it. The unit seems huge for the size of the cabin. My fear is it will sag and sag and finally fall through to the floor - hopefully when no one is under it. Or a good snowfall (added weight) will cause the roof to collapse and do some serious damage inside. It's something we're going to have to address.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:32 AM   #5

SUN #1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Those older coaches were really not designed to have AC in them, because it was a pretty new thing at the time. Later on it did become an option, but they did at least prep it with extra support.

If you really want to give it good support, you could remove the AC and install some more bracing inside the hole.

Another (expensive) option would be to replace the AC unit with a newer, more lightweight/efficient model. If you use the AC often at your house where you pay for electricity, this may be a cost-efficient move.

Also, the 15 1/2' SB does have the advantage of having a lot of windows, so, as Norm & Ginny have found, AC really isn't necessary. I'm sure you could find a good sized roof vent (more like an escape hatch) to fit in the hole. An exhaust fan might work well too to draw air through.

Jon
================================

On close inspection I can see the roof isn't designed to hold the weight of this unit. It's also sagging unevenly. Any bracing looks like it would need to go from wall to wall across the entire roof so as to give it good support. I don't know if that can be done through a hole. The 2x4's would need to be nailed to the wall piece so they didn't move around and the A/C anchored to them. This sounds like a big job for my husband. We couldn't see this sag when we bought it as it doesn't show from the inside.

We have A/C in our home but that has nothing to do with the TT. You lost me. The A/C in the TT would be used at the CGs only and that's included in the price of camping.

Norm and Ginny don't camp in the south in the summer from what I understand. Here in the south, no amount of windows or vent fans work in the summer. A small RV can easily reach 105 to 110F with the windows open in a semi shady spot. You're talking mid to high 90s with humidity and no breeze from mid June to mid Sept. Nights are stultifying. Fans are almost useless. Few of us older folks can cope with that kind of heat.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda~Lust
We have A/C in our home but that has nothing to do with the TT. You lost me. The A/C in the TT would be used at the CGs only and that's included in the price of camping.
I just thought if you were to go to "Camp Driveway", you'd have the coach plugged into the house.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #7

SUN #379
2beagles
I have some photos of the roof framing in my camera. I'll post them tonight so you can see what's up there.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #8

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Summer Camping

You're right we don't camp in high temperatures. We are rarely in temperatures exceeding the 80's. However I have noticed on summer days in NH that do reach into the 90's that our little rig is liveable with all it's windows, though living in coastal NH you do get ocean breezes.

I can't imagine that it would take much of an air conditioner to cool our little sunlines. I suspect that they don't make one really small enough for our rigs, certainly the smallest room air conditioner would do the job.

I've never seen a 15.5 with air, though I know they exist. One possible solution is not to do any thing on the inside but rather to do it on the roof.

It's a little work but you could take the load off the roof and transfer it to the walls. Remove the air conditioner, purchase two pieces of angle iron the width of the trailer, lay them across the roof, attach them to the walls at each end and set the air conditioner between them over the existing opening. Just a thought, obviously no details.

Though considering all the years it's been up there I don't think I'd worry about it too much unless water's been getting into the roof.

Norm Milliard
Old 11-22-2008, 12:29 AM   #9

SUN #1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beagles
I have some photos of the roof framing in my camera. I'll post them tonight so you can see what's up there.
---------------------------------
That's great. I'll make sure my husband sees them. I think he reads this Forum most days, but he doesn't post. Between his cold and the cold weather here he hasn't worked in it for a awhile.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #10

SUN #1632
Re: Summer Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda03842
Though considering all the years it's been up there I don't think I'd worry about it too much unless water's been getting into the roof.

Norm Milliard
==============================
The angle iron sounds like a really good idea and would certainly strengthen the roof. We have no idea when the roof A/C unit was added or by who. It doesn't look new. The man we bought it from knew little about the TT. He didn't realize just how small it was when he bought it last summer, too small for him, his daughter and her 3 small children. Picture 5 people and his medium size dog in it.

There is no sign any water is leaking in, but a puddle sits aroud the A/C after a rain.