Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #1

SUN #1632
WandaLust is an unknown quantity at this point
A TV and PC

Do you all bring a PC and TV camping with you? I've noticed campers sitting ourside with laptops, talking on cellphones or watching TV. Or do you leave it all behind when camping?

Old 11-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Nope - I bring the PC, the TV is always in the TT and I never leave home without my cell phone!!!!! Most of that is from having a business, which was "Internet based" - we could go away, enjoy ourselves and still keep the business reservations coming in!

Business has been sold, but we still bring all of the above...hard to teach old dogs new tricks!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A TV and PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda~Lust
Do you all bring a PC and TV camping with you? I've noticed campers sitting ourside with laptops, talking on cellphones or watching TV. Or do you leave it all behind when camping?
Like Poppy & Nana, our 13" TV lives in the TT.

Both cell phones are always with us, and Gail's laptop goes too. It doubles as a DVD player on those rainy days when we need to keep grandchildren occupied and (mostly) quiet.

When we camp at DEC parks in the Adirondacks, we can usually find free WiFi connections in nearby towns. Even the Trading Post outside of Fish Creek Ponds has it now. The public library in Tupper Lake also has free WiFi.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #4

SUN #1632
We bring our cell phones, flat screen TV and laptop also. Unfortunately most of the CGs we've visited didn't have wifi or decent TV reception. Only the KOAs had these services (cable TV, wifi) but are the most expensive places to stay at.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #5

SUN #307
purplesuebug
We bring it all as well but it usually stays under the bed unless it rains or we have really bad neighbors (It's happened a time or two) when it's easier to just go inside and watch a movie. We do a lot of hiking so the cell phones go with us in case of injury or Sue gets us lost I keep my camping journal on the laptop with pictures and video so sometimes I sit by the fire and update my journal. Electronics are cool unless you allow them to run your life. Take Care................Marshall & Sue
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #6

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Electronic

We have an LCD TV and satellite dish/receiver permitting us to get TV just about anywhere. We do carry a Dell Laptop and use Verizon wireless broadband service, this permits us to get fast Internet virtually everywhere. We also have Verizon cell service. We travel nationally every year and find Verizon to have good signals most everywhere, though it is a little more expensive.

Norm and Ginny Milliard
Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #7

SUN #256
Bobo
We have a LCD TV in our coach and of course cell phones. We mostly stay at the campsite doing our little hobbies. Amy does beading making jewelry and awning hangers. Since we usually camp next to a major watersource, I shipwatch, feed the local rodents and work on crosswords. The stereo is constantly on for background music or a nature sounds CD at night to make the mrs. happy. A DVD player is there in case we really get stuck in the coach.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
We have two TVs in our coach. A 13 inch TV/VCR in the bedroom, and a 20 inch Vizio LCD in the living room. We have a dvd player, and if we are going on a long trip or expecting foul weather we'll grab the Playstation or the Wii. I'm still a big kid. Mostly they stay off because we spend most of the time lounging outside, walking, or riding our bikes. The cell phones always go, but spend most of the time tucked away out of earshot. I still haven't broken down and bought a laptop yet.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #9

SUN #1632
CDs!!!! I didn't think of that. Our laptop plays CDs. Taking a few movies along for bad weather sounds like a good idea. It rained 3 days of our trip to NY in Sept. and we were where there was no TV or wifi. We sure did catch up on our reading and napping and eating......... :P
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
The TV and DVD/VCR player lives in the camper. When nasty nights come, we veg inside and watch a movie. For some reason we rarely do not watch broadcast TV.

Cell phone is always on, glued to the hip, primarily for on call with work. And to call in case of a break down on the road or to contact the kids etc if they are coming to visit us in the camp ground. The “kids” come with grand kids now a days….

The Lap top. It too comes, but again for work most all the time. We do not have a lot of parks with WIFI yet but use the hard drive. Most times it never comes out of the case.

So one might say, gee you bring all those modern electronic things with you camping? Yes we do. Along with the fridge, HW heater, Microwave, running water, AC, flush toilet, queen size bed, dry roof, etc. Towing our coaches to a campsite and setting up temporary home is the escape to the great outdoors that draws us all there.

RV’ig is a choice and we each choose to do it slightly differently. However we all enjoy it and that is what this is all about.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
UM, YEP.................cell phone, yep got it, laptop, yep, got it, it lives in Sunny, TV...................yep a 19 inch antique in the living room and a 15" LCD/HD in the bedroom. Computer not used a lot when camping on the east coast, but I do use it a lot when I travel out west.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #12

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
Our coach has a 20-inch tube-type TV and a Sony DVD player which live there year-round. We've added a digital tuner to prepare for the coming broadcast television change next year.

We tend to watch DVD's more than broadcast TV, but still use them to keep up with weather or current events or COLLEGE FOOTBALL. They don't get used that much... not NEARLY as much as at home.

We both are also tethered to the cell phones. With the parents in their 80's and the daughter off in college, we need to be "available".

Wife brings the laptop to work on school stuff when she's got homework. Otherwise we leave that at home.

We have satellite radio in the Chevy and a portable boombox we can use the receiver in for maximum flexibility. And we are looking at FRS radios for communicating with our fellow campers but have not decided which ones to buy... too many choices.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #13

SUN #149
nasa42a
We make do with a TracPhone cell & a small (19') LCD TV. The Que had a 16" model, but the HiLo's TV rides on the front sofa, and storage size isn't an issue.
==> We find the TV is essential to stay on top of the news on multi-week trips (radio has largely left comprehensive news behind), other than USA Today (which we cherish when we can find it).
==> Our TracPhone ($99 for the phone, a year's service, and 450 minutes which probably won't all be used) is for emergencies or the occasional brief call homeward to the kids. We aren't much for casual, lengthy calls.
==> Sharon's PocketMail became obselete this Fall, and we're considering a card for her laptop, which will probably accompany us in the future.

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #14

SUN #1632
Camping sure has chaged since the 1970s (and before) when I lived on the east coast. Most of my friends camped in tents or Van conversions. No TVs, no cellphones or PCs back then. No porta-potties. I'd be lost camping without these things today. I just got my husband interested in camping last year. It's new to him. He doesn't remember the "old" days of camping. We hope we can find more CGs with cable TV in case of bad weather and PC to check email.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #15

SUN #292
Electronics

Now that we're virtually near full time, electronics makes travel much easier.

Probably most important, the Internet allows paying of bills on line. We have Bank of America because they have ATMs virtually everywhere. When an ATM is not convenient we use Walmart's for cash; they will give up to $100 when using your debit card.

For Internet we use Verizon wireless internet, $39-59 a month. It is expensive but we can often get solid Internet even when our Vderizon cell phone doesn't work well. We also carry a regular wireless card because many campgrounds now offer free wireless.

In the SD Badlands we were well down a dirt road on an Indian Reservation and were not able to get our cell phone but did have Internet.

Also virtually every library has wireless these days and in Canada we are always able to find free wireless at CAP centers. town halls and librarys.
We do have antivirus and a firewall on our computer that updates everyday.

Our computer is a Dell Laptop, under $500 and now four years old. You can get even smaller lighter laptops today for under $400.

We splurged and have Dish Satellite TV $50/month and a small LCD TV. The TV will run off a 50 watt plug in a cigarette lighter Inverter as will the satellite receiver. Neither draws very much power. We also use the small Inverter to charge the cell phone in the car or to plug our laptop in when parked in front of a Library using their Internet.

As well we have a 1000 watt Inverter that can run the whole trailer; we have no microwave or air conditioner.

Our cell phone is a Verizon and we pay about $50 a month for 450 minutes, again more expensive then some plans but we have service almost everywhere. This was not the case when we started traveling 8 years ago; places that did not have coverage do now.

Good travels to all,

Norm Milliard
Old 11-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #16

SUN #1632
Re: Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda03842
Now that we're virtually near full time, electronics makes travel much easier.

For Internet we use Verizon wireless internet, $39-59 a month. It is expensive but we can often get solid Internet even when our Vderizon cell phone doesn't work well. We also carry a regular wireless card because many campgrounds now offer free wireless.

Norm Milliard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm surprised you get a signal from where most CGs are located. We can't even get a good signal here at our home, only 5 miles from a large TN town. We have Satellite TV and PC.

When camping we do our TV watching and Interneting at night, when the CGs die down. When there isn't much to do. You can only read so much after dinner. I don't think we'd care to look for a library in a strange town at night. Another thing I've noticed is campers were more friendly and outgoing in the past. TVs and PCs weren't really needed. Or maybe they were friendlier because those things didn't exist back then - TVs were too large to cart around. Almost every evening we'd find someone to hang out with around a fire or at a picnic table. Sometimes large groups would form around someone's campsite. Not anymore. Most campers seem to keep to themselves and some don't even leave their rigs. CGs are also much quieter than I remember them. The most fun I ever had camping was when several couples got together and camped, even in mid winter in NY state. I wish we knew some people here who were into camping.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #17

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda~Lust
Almost every evening we'd find someone to hang out with around a fire or at a picnic table. Sometimes large groups would form around someone's campsite. Not anymore. Most campers seem to keep to themselves and some don't even leave their rigs. CGs are also much quieter than I remember them. The most fun I ever had camping was when several couples got together and camped, even in mid winter in NY state. I wish we knew some people here who were into camping.
I thought I was the only one who noticed that change over the years...

Time was, you could hardly ever do campfire alone on your own site. You'd either end up with all the neighbors at your place or you'd quickly get invited to join someone else's at campfire.

The SunlineClub.com Meet and Greets are a notable exception to this trend, just like most camping club outings. And there are darned few camping clubs left.

I can hardly get most neighbors to even say hello, let alone have a real conversation.

Best time we had in this regard was camping up in the Adirondacks for 10 days in mid-June this year. It was all empty-nesters like us (school doesn't get out until the 3rd week of June around here) and you could not take the dog for a walk without stopping at nearly every site to chat.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #18

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
We have been VERY fortunate to find ourselves in a camping group down here in south Georgia. Actually, we're in TWO.

About eight or nine years ago, we lucked into a meeting with a group of folks from the Atlanta area who camped together. Most of them had popups like we did. Over the years, most have migrated to larger rigs, and we still camp together a few times each year.

Using that experience, I helped form another camping group... again focused on popup owners... about five years ago in north Florida. This group has also migrated to larger rigs over time, with us being one of the last popups in the group until September of this year when we bought the Sunline. This group camps almost every month throughout the year.

Both the Georgia Campers and the North Florida Popup Campers (yes, we kept the name even though there ain't but maybe ONE popup left) are fun groups of people who enjoy camping. While group camping may not be everyone's cup 'o tea, we like it.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #19

SUN #292
Camp fires

We belong to a couple of camping groups and the campfire is a mainstay along with the pre potluck happy hour. We are new to RVing, 8 years, and find RVers to be among the friendliest people and find the couples to actually like each other.

The interaction of couples, with each other and others, was something I did not expect. RVing is a wonderful world.

Norm and Ginny Milliard
Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #20

SUN #292
Getting on line

The Verizon Wireless is very good. I was able to get a good signal at the Meet and Greet at OLd Forge and all the way across the country; we are now in Seattle.

As to using librarys and the like. I to generally write my emails at night but during the day while out and about I can stop in front of a library, or in Canada at a CAP center and in an hour do all my Internet work. In the USA I never have to go to a library with Verizon Wireless.

Weekend camping and fulltime camping are two different animals. As fulltimers you do everything yo need to do to live versus going home after the weekend or the week when you can handle the every day aspects of your life, paying bills, visiting with families, catching up on news.

For example on the road we rarely get oir local newspapers and never magazines, just too much hassle but the Internet provides all that and more. We are in constant touch with friends and family via email and actually spend more time with our far away kids than we might if they lived in the same town. For example I'm parked in my son's yard for a month right now.

Norm and Ginny Milliard