Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #1

SUN #1632
WandaLust is an unknown quantity at this point
Winter Camping

What do you guys do in the winter for water when you camp? Surely the line would freeze between the RV and spigot. Do you carry water with you? Is there a danger of the waste water tanks freezing if the temp drops but the cabin or coach is heated?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Wanda

We Winter camp in our Sunline. Our new to us one has enclosed tanks that I have added more insulation to. It has heated ducts that heat the compartment. This enclosed tank feature is not a common option and some how I lucked out getting it.

Pending how cold you go and what time of the year it is, (if ground is already frozen) the normal exposed tanks can deal with a level of cold. On warm ground from the day, going to 30 is not some much an issue if the following day it warms back up to 40’s or higher. And as an added measure you can pour some pink antifreeze in the black and gray tank.

However you still have the fresh tank to deal with it you have water in it. When we winter camp before we had this latest TT, we left the tank empty and I did not have to worry all night long of an issue. But by this time it is December/January when ground was already froze even if days are warm. They do sell tank heaters but you also have to deal with the actual drain valves too.

What we do in 20 deg nights is leave tanks dry, take the porta potty from our PU for late night runs…. We also winter camp near an actual latrine or some times better a heated shower house…

For water we bring drinking water in ˝ gallon juice bottles and then 2 3 gallons jugs for dish washing etc. In the sink for a quick face wash we put the drain plug in, then put a plastic type wash tub or such in the sink and use water form the 1/2 gallon jugs.

Since we do a lot of winter camping, we also use the clear plastic shrink film on the windows. It helps for sure.

AND make sure you vent the TT well at night while sleeping. Put up the roof vent 1 full inch on the one end to let the moisture out. If you do not vent you will wake to water soaked walls. The vent we crack open is on the opposite end of the TT from the bed room. We have also had good luck cracking the window open as well, son them about ˝” open. We do this on the stove area widow as it is not covered with plastic to vent when using the stove.

Winter camping on sunny winter day is really nice. It is cool to have an entire state park to yourself or share with about 2 other winter campers.

Good luck

John

PS your signature pic is not coming thru. Just use the img commad before the http and then end with the closing img command. I'll on purpose left off the starting and ending brackets [ ] so you can see the addressing. Add a bracket before and after all this

img]http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/attachments/photobucket/img_73845_0_0c2d7ed5f52e6bb1e7cd2fe7f25e259b.jpg[/img

Here it is working

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Experience

We have found that we can go down to 20 degree nights and above freezing days with our Sunline. The black tank and the water tank are both inside and the grey tank seems to do fine though exposed. Of course we typically don't have a lot of water in the grey tank over the weekend and it's flat shape probably helps.

The major problem is the hose if hooked up. We have found that a water system under pressure is a problem. If it freezes a problem can occur because the pipe and hose are already expanded due to the water pressure and have no margin for expanding ice. AS a result we never go to bed with the hose connected or the trailer water system under pressure.

Of course we keep the internal temperature of the trailer above freezing by running the gas heater or a small electric heater.

Norm Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5 SB
2004 Honda CRv
Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
We ordered our coach with the heated grey/black tank and fresh water tank heaters. We have camped down in the teens overnight with 30 - 40 degree daytime temps over a weekend without a problem. All three tanks are exposed (underneath) on our model.

We disconnect the water hose and drain it overnight, keep the fresh water tank (remember it's got a heater) full and use the pump for overnight potty runs. We also use a small, oscillating electric heater. It has temp settings and 72 will run you out with 30 degree outside temps (and that's with a roof vent opened). We also use the gas furnace, but 90% of the time it doesn't come on with the electric one on.

Never had an issue with drain valves, but we've always drained tanks in the afternoon after the temps have been above freezing.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #5

SUN #1632
Hummmm and that would not work for me (that HTML w/ the [ and] ) code. I'll try it again.

If we do winter camp I think we'll bring water jugs with us and use the camp bathrooms. Night emergenices would be a coffee can with a cover. If it were bitter cold I don't think I'd care to be outside. I don't want to camp and sit indoors.

Can it be seen now? I see it either way.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:31 AM   #6

SUN #1632
My Sunline only has a heated hot water tank. The cold water tank is under the stove but the area isn't insulated. We'll have to insulate it. Leaving the access door cracked and toilet door cracked would keep those tanks from freezing. I suppose a qt of Pink Stuff would keep the gray water tank from freezing when it's bitter cold. Spring seems so far off......
Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 AM   #7

SUN #1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda~Lust
Hummmm and that would not work for me (that HTML w/ the [ and] ) code. I'll try it again.

If we do winter camp I think we'll bring water jugs with us and use the camp bathrooms. Night emergenices would be a coffee can with a cover. Or we could fill the tank and disconnect and drain the hose. If it were bitter cold I don't think I'd care to be outside. I don't want to camp and sit indoors.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:

Your cool little camper is now shining thru now. Looks good.

The porta potty we use "inside" is one from Walmart. I forgot what it cost a number of year ago. Something like $35 Look in the camping section.

Have fun. We where suppose to go this weekend but may or may not. Won't know until Friday. The wind chill is suppose to be like 13F with the wind blowing. Setting up late on a Friday night with the wind blowing at 13F wind chill may sway our minds..... The high on Saturday is 33 with a wind chill of 26F. So we "might" reconsider. It is getting way to cold this early in the year. Setting up at freezing with no wind is not a problem, but that wind is a bone chiller...

John

Old 11-21-2008, 02:08 AM   #9

SUN #1632
Your cool little camper is now shining thru now. Looks good.

The porta potty we use "inside" is one from Walmart. I forgot what it cost a number of year ago. Something like $35 Look in the camping section.

Have fun. We where suppose to go this weekend but may or may not. Won't know until Friday. The wind chill is suppose to be like 13F with the wind blowing. Setting up late on a Friday night with the wind blowing at 13F wind chill may sway our minds..... The high on Saturday is 33 with a wind chill of 26F. So we "might" reconsider. It is getting way to cold this early in the year. Setting up at freezing with no wind is not a problem, but that wind is a bone chiller...

John[/quote]
=============================
I'm glad it can be seen now.

It's cold here also. It was 30F the other morning. I found a camp on the lake only 5 miles from our house and am dying to camp there for at least overnight, but we're both down with nasty colds, my husband sicker than I am. We get nice winter weather here in the 50s and 60s in winter... so I'll just be patient.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #10

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

We get nice winter weather here in the 50s and 60s in winter... so I'll just be patient.
Gosh we won't see 50's - 60's temps until late May or June of next year!!!!!

Woke this morning to 9.7 degrees, our highs today are expected to be around mid 20's and it isn't even winter yet!!!!! At least the wood stove is cranking out some nice heat!

For those of you still camping - enjoy!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #11

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana
Woke this morning to 9.7 degrees, our highs today are expected to be around mid 20's and it isn't even winter yet!!!!!
Last night we got down to 18.7, and my sensor is stuck through the window screen, and the window was cracked open all night! It's 24.4 now, and they expect it to get out of the 20's here today either.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #12

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana
Woke this morning to 9.7 degrees, our highs today are expected to be around mid 20's and it isn't even winter yet!!!!! At least the wood stove is cranking out some nice heat!

For those of you still camping - enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Last night we got down to 18.7, and my sensor is stuck through the window screen, and the window was cracked open all night! It's 24.4 now, and they expect it to get out of the 20's here today either.

Jon
Kathy/Jon LOL…..

As I read your post I start to laugh what technology has done to us. 9.7, 18.7, 24.4…..

Is seems like the weather is starting to take on the gas price effect. $3.98/gal, $2.99/gal etc. Heck it’s 4 bucks and 3 bucks. Those 2 little cents don’t make us feel any better.

And 9.7, 18.7, 24.4… well 9, 19 or 24 are still really cold!!!! Way too cold for this early in the year.

Ended up getting hung up at work tonight and did not make it out camping Friday night. Pulling in the campground at 11:00PM with it being 23 degrees out did not sound appealing…

However on Saturday it is suppose to warm up to 36 and the wind die down some. So we might just sneak out after lunch for a night.

And since we are doing the east coast weather check, it is suppose to drop to 19 tonight here in central Ohio. Seems the northeastern part of the US is all cold. Burrrr

Stay warm and hope some of you can get out this winter.

John