Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-18-2022, 12:54 PM   #1

SUN #11457
Yellowjacket is an unknown quantity at this point
Selecting replacement axle T1550

Hi everyone,

I have had issues getting my 87' sunline t1550 electric brakes to engage fully. The magnets they use seem to not be availible anywhere and the hubs are welded to the axle and cannot be replaced. I'm trying to locate a replacment axle and hub assembly. I measured the spring center at 62" and the hub face seems to be about 76 1/4". Would this axle be the appropriate replacement?

https://www.easternmarine.com/dexter-76-round-tube-straight-trailer-axle-3500-lb-4766649

Axle Type: Round/Straight
Load Rating: 3500 lbs.
Track Length: 76" Hub Face to Hub Face
Spring Center: 58" - 66"
Overall Length: 80.75"
Spindle Size: 1-3/8" x 1-1/16" EZ-Lube Spindles

Brand Dexter Axle
Manufacturer Part Number 4766649

Thanks in advance

Old 03-20-2022, 10:13 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Yellowjacket,

Good to hear from you again.

A few things about the axle you listed,

The link is for an axle tube only. You would need to buy the brake plates and the drums separately. You may be able to buy a complete brake axle cheaper.

There is one concern, they are expecting the user to weld the axle seats on themselves. There is a needed alignment of the axle position to make sure the axle seats are clocked (rotated) in the correct position to the very top of the axle tube and in the same plane as the opposing axle seat. Will you be doing this setup and welding? If this is not done correct, the wheel alignment will not be correct, the wheel toe will be off and the camber could be out of phase if they do not get the top of the axle correct.

I'm not saying that it cannot be done by someone who has been through this before, but it needs to be understood and then done.

Here is an option to consider. Call these folks, Axle Inc. Axle Inc. - trailer axles, axles and service, brakes and drums
tell them you want a quote on a complete brake axle with brakes and drums and the axle seats welded on.

You will have to tell them the hub face distance (distance from machined drum face where the wheel seats against from drum to drum). And the axle seat distance. Both from the old axle. They will have the axle built up from Dexter and ship it to you. They need firm numbers on the distance as that is exactly what they will build it too.

You can also get new U bolts from them as part of the deal.

That way, you know the axle is assembled correct. Then you just have to install it, and make sure the axle is installed correct which way is top and which way is front and back of the axle. The arch in the center of the axle tube is up, and the wire hole in the axle tube points to the back of the camper to create front and back correct. The wheel toe and camber will then come out correct.

We can help also on how to check and tweak the thrust angle of the front axle to the tow ball, and how to make the rear axle parallel to the front if you have tandem axles. Getting this right will help make your tire wear to be very good and even on all 4 tires. There are 3 of us who have posted on doing this, See these 3 posts for help.

Mine: https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ics-10043.html

Tod's: https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ued-18949.html

Russ's: https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post153169

We may have others too that have done this, just I do not recall them posting pic of the process, but they can help.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:01 PM   #3

SUN #11457
Hi John,
Apologies for my delayed reply. As always, you're a wealth of high quality knowledge. Thank you so much! Yeah, not a welder so, thats a no go for me. Since writing the post, I found magnets. Different part number, but same dimensions and mounting holes. They are kelsey hayes and someone on ebay had stock from the 80's they are selling. Put one on today and it worked great. Seems like one of the leaf springs is a bit tired too. Think I put on some helpers and leave the axel work alone now that the brakes work well again. Again, that you very much for your help and support.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:20 PM   #4

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Yellowjacket,

Do you mind sharing your source on eBay? I was informed that I may need replacement parts, which they didn't think they would able to find, this year or replace the whole axle.

Thanks,
Tommie

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:59 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Yellowjacket,

Your welcome and glad to hear you worked your way way out of the parts issue.

As Tommie asked for, if by chance you happen to have any pics you can post of the old and new parts you found, and what Ebay source, that would be a real help. This can be a post itself with maybe the wording, "Kelsey Hayes brake parts" in the subject line so it is easier to find.

This older Hayes brake parts question comes up often, and you are the first one I can recall in a long time who found a current place to get brake parts.

If you get into needing new leaf springs, they may be a bit easier to sort out.

Thanks,

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:33 AM   #6

SUN #11457
Hi Thomascine and John,

Of course. Here's a line to the magnets. I installed both. They definitely fit and work. Right now it says the seller still has more than 10 available. They are stock from the late 80s early 90s by how the box looks when received. Link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363710162117
Old 03-30-2022, 04:59 PM   #7

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you so much for this!

Tommie

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote