Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #1

SUN #11636
Othermark747 is an unknown quantity at this point
2753 tongue jack

I have just t failed in my attempt to install a 12v tongue jack to replace a manual crank. Who cann explain why the upper hole in the A-frame is 1/8" larger than the lower? I don't get it.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:26 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Here are my thoughts on the your question. I have not read this from a manufacture, but have found it to be true on the many power and manual tongue jacks I have installed. Other forum members may have other thoughts.

The upper hole in the ball coupler "is often larger" then the jack tube.
I have not really ever seen one that is size to size fit with the jack tube.

And many (not sure of all) power jacks and some manual jacks have slotted holes in the mounting plate that is welded/attached to the jack tube. The slots in the jack tube mounting plate allows the 3 tapped holes in the ball coupler to line up in case there is some misalignment.

The larger ball coupler jack tube hole allows the trailer jack tube to move in the larger hole so the tapped holes in the ball coupler and the jack mounting plate can be aligned. If hole in the ball coupler was an exact fit, then the there has to be an exact manufactured jack mounting plate to ever line up the bolt holes. Basically, the larger top ball coupler hole allows for a degree of freedom for fit up process to many different brands of jacks.

The larger hole in the ball coupler can also accommodate jack tubes that have heavier upper jack tubes for heavier jacks. The ball coupler often times (most all the time) is rated for much higher tongue weights then a travel trailer. Thus the jack tube is thicker and the larger hole allows full capacity of the ball coupler to be used on heavier jacks.

The lower jack plate, is not part of the ball coupler. The lower plate helps create support to the jack tube to not bend so easy only being supported by the top jack mounting flange. That lower support plate has to be mounted in the middle of where the jack tube ended up. Many times, a fixture or a jack tube is installed in the ball coupler, then the lower plate is welded onto the A frame of the trailer. That is done so everything lines up.

The hole in the ball coupler plate being larger by 1/8" should not prevent a jack from being installed all by itself or create a problem under most situations.

What problem are you having that the new power jack does not work? Your question seemed to point more towards a mechanical mounting issue then an electrical issue that the jack would not run.

Give us some more to go on and we can help better.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #3

SUN #11636
The outer tube meets the edges of the lower A-frame hole and stops. This leaves the mounting plate 3 inches high. I tried repeatedly to align tube ans applied different degrees of pressure. The tube simply won't fit into the lower frame hole, which by my best estimate is 1/8" smaller in diameter.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:16 PM   #4

SUN #89
If the jack mounting plate is 3" high from touching ball coupler and the outer jack tube is hitting the lower jack tube support plate, the only way to make to make that combo work that comes to mind is,

1. A different power jack with smaller diameter outer tube to fit your lower plate.
2. Use the new power jack you have and change the lower plate. They do sell different sizes, just you need a welder to cut off and weld on the new lower plate.
3. Use the new power jack you have and open up the hole in the lower plate.

The last option my be the easier option. Not knowing what tools you have access too, a grinding stone on a die grinder or a drill motor can grind it out. It will take a bit of work to grind it out, but the lower plate is thin so that will be easier.

There are carbide die grinder cutter/debur bits that will take remove the 1/8" out fairly fast. You can use the bit in a drill as well. Here is one of them. https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/85284982

If you go to grind/cut out the lower plate, suggest using a sharpie etc and draw the new circle size in ink, centered over the lower hole. Then grind free hand to the edge of the ink line. Support the camper on jack stands or the tow vehicle and come up from the bottom to make the lower hole bigger.

Hope this helps

John

Old 02-14-2022, 09:21 PM   #5

SUN #89
Curious, what model year T2753 do you have and what brand/size/ model power jack do you have?

I added a power jack to my 2004 T1950 and with the Ultra Fab jack I had, it fit. And that is a smaller sized weight camper then yours. And that said, over the years I too had to grind out the hole to make a power jack fit, but it was more like 1/16" then an 1/8". Different brand jacks can have different sized tubes pending the jack capacity.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:24 AM   #6

SUN #11636
Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #7

SUN #402
flbradjr
My 2753 has the original Atwood power jack. Last summer it was operating erratically but I was able to fix it. I believe Atwood's are Manufacture Discontinue. But they have had multiple buyouts and maybe you can trace that info. Last Summer JohnB and others recommended -- Barker. Worth a try
flbradjr
Old 02-25-2022, 07:13 AM   #8

SUN #11636
Thanks, everyone