Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-20-2023, 05:50 AM   #1

SUN #402
flbradjr
Propane Leak

T-2753 It seems that my full tank emptied fast. We did smell gas while in bed. Smelled gas at hot water heater. We switched tanks (2-30s) and it seemed to stop. Why?? Previously I looked to see if there was a turn off switch at the gas heater - but couldn't find one. Any known culprits causing such a leak? Thanks
Brad

Old 08-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Brad

Here is a quick response as I have almost no signal

On the LP tank that leaked out fast, did you have the tank valve wide open until it stopped or only partially open?

On these LP tanks there are 3 seals on the tank shut off valve.

Fully closed valve. This is a very good seal and positive.

Fully open valve. When the valve is wide open to the dead stop, there is a non serviceable seal that is very positive to not have a gas leak out of the valve stem when the valve is fully open.

Partly open valve. The valve stem seal can and will leak if the valve is partly open, not full closed or full open. The problem gets worse as the tank gets older. New tanks normally do not leak at the valve stem, but still can.

From my learning on this, was instructed to always open the valve full open to engage the end stop positive seal or else you may have a valve stem leak.

This info came from my gas company who does my tank rectifications. They see the valve stem leaks often but they stop leaking when the valve is fully open

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #3

SUN #402
flbradjr
Hi JohnB Yes the valve was open fully and when I realized the tank was empty I opened the other tank. I only like to open one at a time to control which one is being used. If it flips automatically - how do I know?
Trailer is going in for service so I'll ask them to check out the gas smell at the hot water heater. Thanks Brad
Old 08-21-2023, 05:37 PM   #4

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
John's tip regarding valves also applies to water valves in our non-wheeled homes.

Brad, just curious if you have a propane detector in your camper, and it's been replaced recently enough to presumably be effective? Replacement every 5-7 years is generally recommended.

I guarantee that thing would have gotten you out of bed. Having said that, I don't know if our human sniffers are actually more or less sensitive than one of those.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:12 AM   #5

SUN #402
flbradjr
Hi Tinstaafl - I have an Atwood Protector LP Gas Detector that was installed in 2005 and never changed - a bit over the 5-7 yr mark. Pressing the TEST yielded only quiet. You learn something new every day. My internet search confirms your 5-7 yr advice. Thanks.
Going to be changed ASAP.
Trailer service guy said when a tank runs low/empty - you can get a gas smell. Which explains our nose alerts and the fact that the smell stopped when I switched tanks.
Anyone else uses one tank at a time or do folks let them switch automatically. And then what - refill #1 tank each year?
Old 08-23-2023, 06:06 PM   #6

SUN #10986
I have two tanks, but no auto-switching setup. If it was there, I wouldn't use it. Way too easy to forget to keep an eye on the indicator, and then you find yourself in BFE with zero LP.

When a tank runs out, I manually turn it off, turn the other one on, and get the empty refilled at the first opportunity.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:23 PM   #7

SUN #10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by flbradjr View Post
Trailer service guy said when a tank runs low/empty - you can get a gas smell. Which explains our nose alerts and the fact that the smell stopped when I switched tanks.
Not the first time I've heard that, but never actually looked into it.

After a bit of Googling, turns out that the stinky stuff they add to LP isn't actually 100% soluble in that liquid. Over time it tends to settle to the bottom of the container. So when your tank gets really low, there's a significantly higher percentage of stinky stuff in the gas you're getting from it.

Thanks; you got me to learn something.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:52 AM   #8

SUN #9070
Stubborn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
We don't use an automatic switching either. Replacing and testing of sniffer key. As well as smoke detector. Good thread, Be Well, Terry