Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #1

SUN #371
dennisb
Propane tank clearance and refilling

Hi,

On our Que, the two propane tanks are horizontal and are housed inside a cavity within the trailer body. A vanity cover hides the tanks, and the battery box is installed on the trailer tounge. My questions are:

1. The horizontal notched metal bar that holds the two tanks to the regulator assembly is 11 inches long. When I install the tanks, the high pressure pigtails are pressed and collapsed by the protective metal around the tank valve. If I had a notched bar that was 14 inches long, I could keep the tanks farther apart and cure the interference. What have others done?

2. How do you remove and replace the tanks to refill them? I have to remove the battery and squeeze the tanks past the regulator and pigtails to get them in or out. Seem like there should be an easier way to refill the tanks.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dennis

Old 09-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #2

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Hey Dennis!

1. We do not have this issue. Is it possible that you need to put the pigtails on "upside down" from how they are now? (just guessing, as we do not have this issue! )

2. We just pull 'em out. It does help to have an extra set of hands handy to hold the pigtails outof the way, but we have never had to remove the battery. Although, I like the way I fill it- it is much eaiser then when DH does it. When I take it into the RV place, the guy gets the tanks out for me- sometimes I just LOVE being a girl!

Old 09-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #3

SUN #371
dennisb
Here is an update to my dilemma. Two pictures of the tanks on my Que, one un-retouched and the other with the problem clearance areas circled. The tanks are not connected to the hold-down bracket, since the clearance is too tight for the pigtails (they get flattened). I have thought of adding two 90 degree ells to the propane lines to remove the interference with the tanks.

Any help or comparison to other Que propane lockers would be appreciated!

Dennis
Old 09-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
Dennis,

This assembly is tight - but here's what I did. I mount the tanks using the outboard -most (3rd) notch of the 10 inch bar. I collapsed the regulator bracket L shape ends slightly to allow the bar to go on top of it - instead of below it as Sunline had it , also lowered the bracket a bit more by switching the position of the retaining nut on the all-thread piece from above the frame - to below the frame. This allows the pigtails to route downward below the widest part of the tank rim where it begins to curve away from the regulator a little. The pigtails also run slightly in front of the tank rim - but even compressed against it - it appears the bend is tight but not damaging. It is still tight but acceptable. As you can see from photo -- (my wife will post)

To remove the tanks :
1. unscrew the large wing nut and remove the bar completely
2. unscrew the pigtails from the tanks (big green plastic nut)
3. Lift the regulator bracket off of the all-thread at the topmost mounting hole and move it aside opposite the tank you wish to remove. (NO need to pull it off completely)
4. pull out the tank - over and aside of the battery (which should be positioned with long side of box running front to back unlike your photo )
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #5

SUN #371
dennisb
Quetse,

Thanks for the post. I'll try your solution tomorrow and see what happens!

Dennis
Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #6

SUN #128
Tweety
Sorry it took so long. Steve posted that. I need to get him to sign if he posts something. Although any time it's a technical solution it's not going to be me that wrote it !!!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #7

SUN #371
dennisb
Pam & Steve,

It took some time, but I finally got to make the changes you suggested in the propane tank mounting for the Que. I am happy to report that the high pressure propane hoses are now free without binding! My tanks now look just like yours. The battery mounting is another story, however. My battery fits perfectly across the frame within the two steel channels welded between the frame rails. It looks like your battery mounting is different. Thanks for your help.

Dennis