Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-01-2023, 01:15 PM   #1

SUN #8474
jsm5394 is an unknown quantity at this point
Awning repair

Hi,
My 2004 2499 awning needs repair. It was repaired once by previous owner but now coming through. It is a linear weakening about 10” out from the reel. Can see spots of daylight coming through. What is my best repair method? Also, one of the little black plastic clips that holds the exterior louver of the domestic fridge broke. Any idea on locating replacement? Thanks all

Jim M

Old 07-01-2023, 01:42 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim,

What you are describing sounds like sun deterioration of the exposed part of the awning, starting at the gutter rail and outwards about a foot. The rest of the swing may be in OK shape.

Is this what you are seeing?

If your awning is the original, you are lucky than most, or the camper was stored under cover a lot. The sun bakes the exposed part rolled up when the camper is not in use. About 10 to 12 years is normally all they get when stored outside uncovered.

Replacing the entire fabric is the normal correction if what I have described is what you have. Once you get the new vinyl awning, assuming yours is vinyl, use 303 Aerospace UV protectant on the awning helps save it. I have tried to extend the life with awning repair tape, but it is short-lived.

I hope this helps,

John

If you plan on replacing the fabric yourself, let us know. I have done many, others have also, and glad to share how to.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:50 AM   #3

SUN #8474
jsm5394 is an unknown quantity at this point
John,
Thanks for the advice. The camper was stored inside until I bought it a couple years ago. I keep it covered in winter. I’ll take your advice and replace the fabric. I’d appreciate any tricks you can share on how to do it. It’s a beautiful camper and I want to keep it that way. P.s. one of the little black latches on the exterior refrigerator louver is broken. Where can I source replacements?
Old 07-03-2023, 05:46 PM   #4

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm5394 View Post
.s. one of the little black latches on the exterior refrigerator louver is broken. Where can I source replacements?
This is what I think you are after. I found these to work well, and the cost was a lot better than getting a Dometic replacement part, which pre-covid was about $32 ea. (crazy for sure)

The back side with the part number that JR Products part number is supposed to be a 2 pack

JR Products is sold in many different RV parts places.

Amazon has then, and sold by Amazon; they list the qty as 1 item.
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-0...60&sr=8-1&th=1

But in the description, it states 2pk. In the past, I bought them from Amazon, and that two-pack came. Not sure what you might get. Their wording is confusing.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
Old 07-03-2023, 06:36 PM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm5394 View Post
John,
Thanks for the advice. The camper was stored inside until I bought it a couple years ago. I keep it covered in winter. I’ll take your advice and replace the fabric. I’d appreciate any tricks you can share on how to do it. It’s a beautiful camper and I want to keep it that way.
Tricks to share, sure.

Brands, Two that I know of beyond Dometic.

SunWave, I have bought several from them, 5 to 6 of them; I'm losing track. They also have a 5-year warranty.
https://www.sunwaveproduct.com

They seem to sell them from different sites. I even called them about that and they told me as they all ship from the same address. Check the freight, as one pace had the free freight, and the other did not. This is where I order mine from https://www.rvawningsmart.com/shop/

Tough Tops. I have never bought from them, but I think I got the lead from another Sunline friend who did. I can't recall who... They appear to be very well made with a good warranty.
https://www.toughtopawnings.com

Here is the first one I bought in 2013, and it is still doing well. They are from China, but the quality is still there. I just installed one in May this year. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ics-14771.html

That first install was a one-person install, and it will work, but; I now do it differently and use two people. Two people are so much faster. I have a boatload of pics of the new method, and I am willing to share them, but I have never made it into a post yet or uploaded them to my photo site.

But I found this U tube to help another Sunline friend install his own. It is close to the method I use. The awing comes off the camper the same way, just the non-latched arm end cap is different, and I do not install the new fabric like they do as the non-latch arm has to come apart.

Tags
awning