Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

SUN #1887
rvcowgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
awning problem

Used our newly purchased 1995 T2160 and read instructions for set up and all went well. Packing up to leave, hubby did not ask for help and the awning arms were not retracted when he let the awning retract. It bent the extendable arms and he panicked and took arm out of release lever area on trailer which threw the arm into the side of the trailer causing a dent and gash. The extension arms had to be gently hammered back into arm because they would not slide. The dent and gash are still there. Aside from getting a husband who reads directions, any suggestions on how to fix/replace the arms and take care of the hole? I'd appreciate your suggestions since we are very new to this.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Welcome to SOC!!

JohnB will be along shortly... He's one of our resident "Fix-it" experts...

Is yours an A&E awning?

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #3

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey girl,

Hope the rest of your trip was better than the packing to go home part. One thing I do know is that here at SOC pictures rule so it would be good to take pictures of all damage and then closeups for clarity.

Glad your here posting with the rest of us newbies.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #4

SUN #1887
Sorry for the delay in response, had a funeral. The answer is yes, it is an A&E awning and yes, the vacation was great! I had no idea we would enjoy a TT so much. We left the trailer in NC on our retirement property, any suggestions for how to fix the gouge or side arm?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #5

SUN #597
henryj
Hi rvcowgirl, nice handle, and welcome to SOC.

I'm still waiting for JohnB's response too. He must be out of town. So this is my take on your problem, with a lot less experience, but I'm way ahead of John when it comes to age .

The awning arms are aluminum which means while they are strong enough, they are also fragile. They may bend a bit, but unlike steel, are more likely to break and they will be very difficult to straighten. Since you may need new ones, you have nothing to lose and can pound away on the old ones to see if you can improve them. I would definitely remove them, I believe the awning will stay up anyway, but don't tow like that. Draw a string along the wide and narrow edges to see where and how much the bend is. Let us know the result. I really don't see how you could straighten them because aluminum will just bounce back as you pound on it. If you lever it against something, it won't give gently and may suddenly let go with a big break.

As to the aluminum siding--is it just dented or did the arms actually pierce the skin? If it's dented that's just cosmetic and we can make some suggestions, but if it's pierced... how big is the hole?... width of the awning arm or just a small slit?... how long is it or how many strips of siding does it cover?... is it just one arm or both?

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #6

SUN #1887
Thanks for your response. It's a dent with a small slit about 1 1/2 inches long. I have the original booklet but it's in the rv in NC and we live in PA. It's a T2160 and do not know what kind of side arms, the awning itself was new. We are selling our farm and felt the TT would be great in the interim we don't have a house and then better for retirement.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #7

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
hi girl, I hope you put tape over the cut in teh metal. That will atleast stop water from entering until you can fix things. I think the metal werk will be pretty simple. Sand metal, make hole as small as possible by pulling metal back on itself and then maybe use a body filler to close the hole. Then sand smooth, prime and paint. Sounds like a small job as far as the bodywerk goes. The awning may be something you might want the camper store to fix. If the awning got away from him once it might do it again when trying to put tension back on the roller.

It all is something that can't be done long distance. Are you going back to NC soon? And just to be nosey, where in NC?

jim

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote