Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing outside fittings --- pics

Our 1991 Sunine Solaris has outside fittings that have seen better days. I've decided to replace them so went in debt for all new pieces. Now the task of off-with-the-old and on-with-the-new.

First is the outside 'utlity' corner of this unit. I have taken a picture but not until I had loosened old fittings. You can see the powercord opening with the fitting hanging on the cord. You can see the hole for the holding tank drain valve, minus the valve. You can see the water fill fitting that is still in place. Last is the hot water heater door that I have already installed the drain valve.

The heater drain valve.

This is the hole the drain valve came out of. It shows the units original color with the colors of the original decal stripes. The hole for the fitting is so small a regular hose clamp doesn't push through so will have to solve that problem with either a different kind of clamp or a larger hole.

Doing the drain valve first because I thought I'd get the easy stuff done early. The old drain fitting had a longer nipple on it than the new. That is how Sunline could clamp inside the compartment. I hunted and pecked until I found a really small hose clamp that fit inside the wall. The drain hose is push on fittings and might not need clamps but since this is in the compartment I store leveling blocks I didn't want to chance knocking something loose, hence hose fittings everywhere.

Next was to do the city water inlet fitting. Not so easy since the new fitting didn't match the old plumbing fittings and I didn't want to cut into the existing lines. To fix this I simply recaulked the old fitting and reinstalled. Easy way out until I get braver.

Then I tackled the shore powercord storage door. The new end on the powercord meant I had no choice but to find a bigger access door and I like being able to reach inside. After being careful about anything I might hit inside the wall I gently started doing surgery. First I marked the opening location, then cut the metal skin and last cut wood for a clear opening. I did cut and install new wood around the edges of the opening for the new screws to grab onto. The new hatch got new caulking and screws.

Next is the fresh water holding tank fill fitting but that will be another day.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hi Jim!

Your job looks great!

From the picture, I can't see the little door in the electric cord hatch...

If there is not one there, now would be a perfect time to install a Marinco detachable power cord. I installed one in our T-320SR and transferred it to the fifth wheel, when we got it. The install thread is HERE...

Oops... Upon closer inspection, I found that little cord opening in your picture...

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #3

SUN #1830
Thanks. I had fun doing it.

I chose the original powercord configuration because of the existing storage location. The larger access door allowed the use of the original storage space and would accept the new handled plug end. If I went with the Marinco fittings I'd have to find storage for the cord and space is limited on this unit.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #4

SUN #1830
Here is a picture of the freshwater fill opening. You can see where the old fitting was removed and the pencil outline is for the new one. You can also see the wood across the opening that is the frame of the bed that I must miss. Only two of the screw locations of the new are into solid wood. All the others, 4, are inside the opening fo the old fitting. I must make something for the new fitting to support. I'll werk on that more after the heat drops some.

jim

Old 05-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #5

SUN #1830
This is my solution to the mounting of the new fresh water fill fitting. It is an old aluminum sign I had, no smoking, that I cut to fit the fitting and cover the old hole for mounting screws.

This shows the fill fitting inside the mounting plate.

Next I'll have to enlarge the hole in the wall to accept the new fitting.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #6

SUN #1830
This shows the opening and how I knotched the wall to allow the new fitting to sit flush with the wall.

This shows the mounting plate installed and held in place with plated decking screws.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #7

SUN #1830
Here are all the pieces installed. The powercord access door, the fresh water holding tank fill door and drain valve. All in all it was a easy few tasks with just hand tools and the Dremel tool. I do feel better about the new pieces and their not leaking or falling off.