Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-04-2022, 09:03 PM   #1

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace or repair thermostat on Dometic Refrig

Hi all, I'm looking at fixing, replacing, repairing the thermostat on my Dometic Refrigerator, stock item 1994 Saturn TT. The refrigerator works on both propane and electric (shore power) but the dial to set the temp between 1 and 7 just spins free. On Electric power, it is really cold (below zero) and on propane it chills to about 20 degrees F. I leave the door open at night to NOT freeze my lettuce, but think its time for the repair. Do I access the thermostat from the outside or from below the refrigerator.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:30 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Kit,

Look inside the fridge door, inside the food compartment area on the side panels, for a Dometic model and serial number on the fridge. We need that to help better so we know which fridge you have.

Since you are talking about a dial, this sounds like an older model with more mechanical controls then electric. But, we need the model number to know better.

On the new more electric controls, if the temperature senor goes bad, the fridge defaults in non stop cooling. That may or may not be your issue.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #3

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi folks, Dometic RM 2510 in my Saturn.

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/m...cture7217.jpeg
Old 06-08-2022, 08:34 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Kit,

I myself have not worked on one of these older fridges, maybe some of our other RV tech's and fridge fixer folks have and can guide you better.

I have found this. From what you are describing, your thermostat either has internal issues, or the rod connection the to the T stat is broken somehow letting the rod to spin.

Since you can get the fridge to run on max cooling, in both gas and electric, the good news you cooling coil is still good and the gas burner and electric elements is still working. That is a big deal and in my mind means the fridge can be saved.

These older fridges had a combo T stat, gas control and electric element control running off a capillary tube style T stat that runs the whole temperature regulation for both, gas and electric. It's a simple mechanical setup, it my be the T stat not longer works right.

To fix this, ideally you can find an RV tech or a home LP gas appliance repair friends who can help you. The T stat is made and not and super easy thing to replace, but it doable.

This is what I found which may help.

On our site, in the files section are there two Dometic files

An exploded view of the parts of the system to help show how the parts fit together.

This one shows the exploded view of the RM 2500 series fridges
Dometic Gas/Electric Refrigerators Installation https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/d...o=file&id=5561

This one is the service manual that includes the RM 2510 fridge. I just uploaded this tonight for you.
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/d...o=file&id=5642

This is a thermostat I "think" fits yours. Confirm yours looks like this if you decide to order it.

One on Amazon, sold by Amazon, they only have 1 left
https://www.amazon.com/M-C-Enterprz-...UNO/ref=sr_1_1

And 10 of them in stock at Boat & Rv Accessories here in OH near Dayton. I have bought many things from them and have had good transactions.
https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...mostat-control

OR, search on line for the MC Enterprises 2007199009MC Refrigerator Thermostat Control.

And here is a U tube I found showing the process. I'm not recommending you follow how he did it, but it shows what is involved. I would of pulled the Fridge out of the wall cavity and changed the T stat out in the open so I can get to everything easier. And had less risk of not getting the control rods hooked up right and maybe an easier way to get the capillary tube in place.

That said, it is helpful and he did a good job on the video. Seeing this may help you decide to find someone to help you with this.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #5

SUN #4147
RRS2670 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a YouTube channel for an actual mobile RV repair guy. I've used his videos a couple of times and now I'm subscribed to his channel. He seems to know a lot about most RV problems.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MyRVWorksInc

1997 Sunline Solaris 2670
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L 4x4
RRS2670 is offline   Reply With Quote