Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #21

SUN #2264
blackflamevt is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok thanks for all the help. I think what i'll do is simple mount the inverter inside and wire it to the battery. I'll just get a small lamp for lights inside and plug in anything else i want to run, tv, radio etc. I do have a good small generator (yamaha) to charge it when i'm dry camping or simple to plug into the camper it's self and run the inverter at night.. i don't even think i'll wire it to the converter to recharge it, just battery to inverter.
Thanks for all the advice and help
Steve in Ct

Old 06-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #22

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steve, I think you'll be more happy if you will wire the inside of the TT for 110V and then plug into shore power when available or connect the generator other times. It would be better in the long run to buy a larger generator instead of installing something your not going to get proper use from.

As usual, this is just my opinion and others may vary.

jim

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #23

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a couple hints since what you are doing is a good idea and definately the most pain free.

As was mentioned earlier, run at least the recomended guage wire for whatever inverter you get based on the length. I would even get at least one size thicker to be safe. REmember, the longer the wire, the thicker it needs to be.

Since you will be plugging in a television, make sure that the inverter you get at least claims to put out something close to a clean sine wave. Some of them output real dirty power that can play hell with sensitive electronics.

The lights inside your camper should automaticaly work when you are on battery as they are installed from the factory. There is a discussion here somewhere about converting them to LEDs as the standard bulbs really eat power from the battery.

I'm guessing you are doing this so you can use some convenience items such as TV radio etc without having to annoy others with the generator. Modern smaller TVs and small radios do not have a huge power demand. Your trailer may already have a lighter socket style 12v plug near where the antena hookup is. This should actually be sufficient for a smaller inverter and is already wired to the battery.

I could be comletely wrong about that last part with the 12v recepticle though as I am ignorant on how the 80's units are wired.

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #24

SUN #2264
Ok now i'm confused, i hooked up the battery real quick to the big wires that go to my converter, and when i did i had power to lights, water pump etc. Does this mean my converter works as a inverter also? Or am i missing something? I don't want to drain the battery or burn out the converter.. Ohhwell mentioned the lights would work when the battery is hooked up, is this what you meant? and yes there is a cig plug already there, but do i need that for a tv?
Thanks
Steve in Ct
Old 06-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #25

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Steve,

The lights and water pump in our TT's are 12vdc. The battery runs these. If you hook the trailer to 110vac (shore power), the converter then recharges the battery and runs the 12vdc items.

If you have an inverter, it takes 12vdc and converts it to 110vac so you can operate a computer, etc. when there is no shore power available.

If you are running on 12vdc only, the converter does NOTHING and is not harmed. This is normal operation.

If you want to run a regular 110vac tv or other item when there is no shore power, then you'd need an inverter. But, since you already have a generator, it would be simpler to use the generator as shore power. The 110vac outlets in the trailer would be then functional and you'd have no need for an inverter.

The only time this would be an issue is if you had limited generator run time - some campgrounds allow generators only during specific hours.

Everyone who has tried to help you with this has been scratching their heads wondering why you keep thinking that you need an inverter. Most of us don't have them unless we have a specific need like a CPAP machine or other electronic device, and then only if we dry camp and can not use our generators 24/7.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #26

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Here here.

Steve, I think you are putting way too much effort into this. A few of us have given it a go explining this. Way back on the first page, I posted that most of the critical (All if you don't live down here and consider Air Conditioning critical) systems in the trailer run off of 12vdc. 12vdc is what the battery puts out.

When you have plugged the trailer into a power outlet at the campground or house, 110 volts of power go into the trailer. At that point, the power goes to all of the outlets and appliances that take full 110 volts. It also goes to the converter which takes that high voltage power and steps it down to 12 volts. From there it goes to the lighting, water pump, heat fan and sometimes fridge.

Even if you don't have a battery the converter will do that. If you have a battery, the converter will start charging the battery.

NOW,

If you unplug the trailer from the campground power, the "Brains" of the trailer know this and switch over to the battery. Since the battery is still just 12v, it can only run the things that I listed which are 12v. Ie the lights, water pump, heater fan and sometimes fridge. None of the outlets will have full power and the air conditioning will not run.

I don't know how to explain this any better without being there in person. Is there anyone you know in your area that can come over and go over it with you?

EDIT: Yes, the cig plug will allow you to plug a small inverter in there then plug your small TV into the inverter and watch it while on battery power. The thing is, I'm not sure you really need battery power as much as you think anymore. Will you be camping somewhere where there is no electrical service and you cannot run your generator when you need?

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #27

SUN #2264
Thanks Steve and i was scratching my head too.. I think i needed your last post first lol.. Yes Ohhwell i was thinking to hard, thanks for your help.
Thanks again
Steve in Ct
Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #28

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Steve,

Let me give a more detailed explanation of a typical TT electrical system as it may help you understand the system better.

Our coaches generally have two electrical systems: 110vac (shore power) and 12vdc (coach or battery power.)

Shore power typically is 30 amps max. It feeds into the trailer via a heavy duty power cable (shore line.) Generally it connects to some circuit breakers and then out to some systems. It can feed an air conditioner, 110vac outlets, microwave oven, 110vac heater element in the water heater, 110vac side of the fridge, and the on board converter.

The coach or battery power generally feeds all the interior and exterior lighting. In our Sunlines, almost all of the lighting is 12vdc. 12vdc is also required to run the propane water heater and refrigerator (on propane, both usually need some 12vdc to run the control boards), the furnace, AM/FM radio, exhaust fans, and possibly more.

The converter which is powered by 110vac (shore power) basically recharges the 12vdc battery. Some converters are strong enough to run all the 12vdc items in the trailer, but it's not recommended that you do so. Better to have the battery installed and operational to absorb fluctuations in actual amperage use.

So, in real life terms, you pull into a campground with hookups and plug in your shore line. All the 110vac stuff works, and the converter is recharging the coach battery which in turn runs the 12vdc stuff.

On the other hand, if you pull into a campsite with no electric hookups, you are operating strictly on 12vdc. Normally this means that you would not be able to use any of your 110vac items like the microwave or the other items I listed. In this situation, you can only keep your fridge and hot water heater going as long as the battery holds a charge. Remember their fuel is propane when no 110vac is available, but they still need 12vdc for their control circuits.

Folks spend lots of time being creative about recharging batteries in dry camping situations. Generators and solar panels are the most common.

OK, so you want to run a television (or other 110vac appliance) during non-generator hours when dry camping. Then you'd need that inverter to convert the 12vdc to 110vac. It'll work, but most TV's will suck down a coach battery in a real hurry. When we dry camp, we only use the television during generator hours. We use the generator to recharge the cell phones, laptops, and other battery-operated items plus it recharges the coach battery.

Our friend m5bartfan camps almost exclusively in no hookup parks. His wife uses a CPAP machine. Mike has an inverter to power it, but because it runs continuously for 8 hours, he has dual batteries installed in his Sunline. And to keep them charged, he has to run the genny nearly every minute possible of the 5 generator hours allowed per day.

This is also why we dry campers all spend quite a bit of time discussing LED lighting for the interiors of our rigs. LED's use much less current which stretches the reserve in our batteries.

Those of us who primarily dry camp don't use 110vac appliances like coffee makers, toasters, etc. Running them through an inverter would just drain the battery fast. My coffee maker is nearly identical to the electric one I have at home, but sits on the propane stove which heats it just fine. We have a toaster rack for the stove.

A side comment here: The output of your tow vehicle's alternator is not enough to recharge your coach battery in one or two hours. It will work fine towing your trailer for 5 or 6 hours, but it's not really an in-camp solution for charging the coach battery.

I hope this explanation clears up some of this. Generally, very few of us have need of an inverter.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #29

SUN #2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Steve,

Let me give a more detailed explanation of a typical TT electrical system as it may help you understand the system better.

Our coaches generally have two electrical systems: 110vac (shore power) and 12vdc (coach or battery power.)

Shore power typically is 30 amps max. It feeds into the trailer via a heavy duty power cable (shore line.) Generally it connects to some circuit breakers and then out to some systems. It can feed an air conditioner, 110vac outlets, microwave oven, 110vac heater element in the water heater, 110vac side of the fridge, and the on board converter.

The coach or battery power generally feeds all the interior and exterior lighting. In our Sunlines, almost all of the lighting is 12vdc. 12vdc is also required to run the propane water heater and refrigerator (on propane, both usually need some 12vdc to run the control boards), the furnace, AM/FM radio, exhaust fans, and possibly more.

The converter which is powered by 110vac (shore power) basically recharges the 12vdc battery. Some converters are strong enough to run all the 12vdc items in the trailer, but it's not recommended that you do so. Better to have the battery installed and operational to absorb fluctuations in actual amperage use.

So, in real life terms, you pull into a campground with hookups and plug in your shore line. All the 110vac stuff works, and the converter is recharging the coach battery which in turn runs the 12vdc stuff.

On the other hand, if you pull into a campsite with no electric hookups, you are operating strictly on 12vdc. Normally this means that you would not be able to use any of your 110vac items like the microwave or the other items I listed. In this situation, you can only keep your fridge and hot water heater going as long as the battery holds a charge. Remember their fuel is propane when no 110vac is available, but they still need 12vdc for their control circuits.

Folks spend lots of time being creative about recharging batteries in dry camping situations. Generators and solar panels are the most common.

OK, so you want to run a television (or other 110vac appliance) during non-generator hours when dry camping. Then you'd need that inverter to convert the 12vdc to 110vac. It'll work, but most TV's will suck down a coach battery in a real hurry. When we dry camp, we only use the television during generator hours. We use the generator to recharge the cell phones, laptops, and other battery-operated items plus it recharges the coach battery.

Our friend m5bartfan camps almost exclusively in no hookup parks. His wife uses a CPAP machine. Mike has an inverter to power it, but because it runs continuously for 8 hours, he has dual batteries installed in his Sunline. And to keep them charged, he has to run the genny nearly every minute possible of the 5 generator hours allowed per day.

This is also why we dry campers all spend quite a bit of time discussing LED lighting for the interiors of our rigs. LED's use much less current which stretches the reserve in our batteries.

Those of us who primarily dry camp don't use 110vac appliances like coffee makers, toasters, etc. Running them through an inverter would just drain the battery fast. My coffee maker is nearly identical to the electric one I have at home, but sits on the propane stove which heats it just fine. We have a toaster rack for the stove.

A side comment here: The output of your tow vehicle's alternator is not enough to recharge your coach battery in one or two hours. It will work fine towing your trailer for 5 or 6 hours, but it's not really an in-camp solution for charging the coach battery.

I hope this explanation clears up some of this. Generally, very few of us have need of an inverter.
Yes that helped me understand it better. I guess i don't need a inverter either, my problem was i thought the trailer had one in there already.
Thanks again i should be all set now.
Steve in Ct