Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Battery no battery mystery

So I stopped briefly by my 88" T3200 yesterday, having just been given the keys to the compartment areas. I have a big mystery here. Not only is there no battery in the battery compartment, there is no evidence that there ever has been one. The battery compartment next to the door most forward on the trailer is as clean as a whistle. no wires lead to the compartment, no marks where a battery may have sat. I just don't get it. All 120 volt equipment works fine... no 12 volt equipment works that I can see...except for the water pump, which leads me to believe that the converter works and is supplying 12 volts. Is it possible the former owners never had a battery and just never used the 12 volt systems on the trailer? But why no wires to the compartment?? I don't get it!!!??
Any help/advice/possible explanation on this issue would be appreciated.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure what you're talking about with the battery wires going into a compartment...the battery normally sits on the tongue brackets in a plastic case. The wires come out of a hole in the header beam and there's a small box behind that header that has the wiring connections for it. If your wires are missing, they may have been cut off or tied up under there, so you'll have to crawl out and take a look.

I believe the water pump is 12V only, so it might not work if the unit is not putting out 12V. It also might be bad/seized up.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #3

SUN #1508
quaddriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver
I would be skeptical that a coach maker would put a battery (which gives off hindenburg-like fumes) in an enclosed place..

can you describe what you mean by 'battery compartment'? the little black (or white) box on the tongue behind the lpg tanks? or a door in the coach?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
The battery sits on the a-frame, usually in a plastic battery box, between the propane tanks and the front wall of the trailer. In this pic, you can see the two black battery boxes just to the right and below the propane tank cover:

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #5

SUN #1342
cnash1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an older T2251 and the battery is indeed inside the front storage compartment. The wires come up through the floor and can be accessed under the dineete seat or by the outside door.
TV: 2008 Chrysler Aspen
cnash1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #6

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks folks. cnash I was glad to hear that I wasn't totally mistaken in thinking some trailers have battery compartments. However, I have to think that you folks who point to a battery on the A frame must be right because of the lack of wiring into the box under the dinette, and the small angle iron frame in the same location as Steve Collins photo shows his battery position in the discussion above. I am away from the trailer right now, but from photos I have, it appears that there is a white wire and a red wire leading to the tongue from inside the trailer, if that is the case, I suppose these must be the leads to the long gone battery. I am assuming that the white lead goes to the - post and the red to the + post of the battery????
Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #7

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Drake, those wires should be pretty substantial, probably 10 gauge, and you are correct; white is pretty much the standard color for ground in Sunline 12vdc systems.

Chris, if that compartment is not ventilated or the ventilation appears to be added after the trailer left Denver, Pa, it sounds to me like a previous owner relocated the battery from the a-frame. Lead acid batteries, by their very nature require a lot of ventilation to outside air. The a-frame has long been the choice of most TT manufacturers for placing batteries. I do not recall seeing a a TT with the battery elsewhere. I am sure there are a few, but the ventilation requirement makes it expensive to build compared to placing the battery on the a-frame.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #8

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all!
Good ventilation for the battery/ batteries is hard to argue with, - but.
Keep in mind that, as far as I know, every VW Beetle, and there were some 21 million made, had the battery inside the car. It was under the back seat on the right side. My dad had five Beetles, starting with a 1953 and ending with a 1974.
Only once did we ever smell batty fumes, and that told us the voltage regulator needed to be replaced.
If one has a charger of the older kind, that tends to "cook" the batteries when connected to shorepower for extended periods, good ventilation is highly recommended. With a "modern" charger I feel it should not be much of an issue.
FWIW,
Roar
Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #9

SUN #1508
quaddriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver
And lets be honest....with the corrosion problems of the old beetles, contained compartments was never really an issue.....
Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #10

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Quaddriver,
Do you also remember how well a Beetle would stay afloat if it ended up in the water, and how one had to open a vent window to get the hot air from the engine to flow well? How about the fact that you really had to SLAM a door to get it to shut all the way, unless you had a window open.
Sure they rusted, - eventually. Any Beetle on the road today, with the exception of a few from Mexico, are more than three decades old. I don't think the Beetles rusted any more than most other cars of that time. On the contrary, I think the Beetles stood up to iron oxidation better than most.
If you get the impression that you hit a nerve with that comment about rusting Beetles, you are probably correct.
I still have my dad's last Beetle. It just turned the odometer over to 00000, and it is calibrated in kilometers.
I really enjoy driving it.
If I figure out how to post a picture here, I will.
Well, - this turned into a Beetle discussion, rather than a battery compartment discussion.
I beg your forgiveness!
Roar
Roar
Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #11

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Well, - this turned into a Beetle discussion, rather than a battery compartment discussion.
I beg your forgiveness!
Don't worry Roar, just like the Buttonwood M&G this year, I'm not believing this inside battery compartment thing happened until I see pictures...

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #12

SUN #11381
bawitt is an unknown quantity at this point
I am really grateful for this site and everyone's input. I just went inside and outside my "new" 1983 T-1550 and i couldn't find a battery ANYPLACE!!! I thought i was crazy until i read this page. Now I will go back outside and hopefully, I will find wires coming out to the tongue.
I also appreciate your advice about which TYPE of battery to purchase. This newbie needs all the help I can get.
BTW, I am a 70-yr. old former teacher who is about to embark on new adventures thanks to all of you and to my new friends at SISTERS ON THE FLY!
Barbara W
Old 08-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #13

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Barbara,

It was nice meeting you last weekend. You have definitely come to the right place for help so ask away. Can't wait to see pics of your Sunny and looking forward to seeing you at future events.

Tommie

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #14

SUN #11381
bawitt is an unknown quantity at this point
My Progress Today

Hi, Tommie!
I was so happy to meet you too. Thanks for posting here today.
Everyone, I made good progress today. One of my friends climbed on the roof and caulked and taped some questionable areas that should hold until I coat the top over the next few weeks. He also caulked a leaky window. He tested my lights and we opened my awning all the way out so I could see the condition. It will need to be replaced but that can wait until the spring.
I ripped out the remaining curtains and valances, tore some of the ceiling covering off to inspect water damage up there, and the biggie...tore out one of the dinette benches! It really opened up that area and by next weekend, when i can get back to it, I will decide if I want to totally tear out the other bench, cut it down in size, or keep it in place. I am leaning toward ripping it out but that will eliminate a nice chunk of storage so I need to be sure of myself before taking that drastic step. I must say that removing all of those nasty staples is the worst job so far...well, and sucking up all the mouse poop with my shop vac. VERY NASTY.