Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #1

SUN #2264
blackflamevt is an unknown quantity at this point
Hooking up a battery to my 88 T1550

I'll be hooking up a new battery, (there is none now) Just a couple questions? Once it's hooked up will the inverter be on the whole time? I don't see a on-off switch and are you running a fuse from the battery to the positive cable? I hate not having a manual
Thanks
Steve in Ct

Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Steve,
Do you have an inverter installed in your unit, or are you referring to the converter? The converter actually runs off AC current and is used to supply 12 volt power to the trailer and charge the battery.

I installed a battery disconnect switch in our fifth wheel, but only use it when necessary, to kill the 12 volt power.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes the converter/charger runs as soon as you plug it in it is wired to the input side of the main breaker. Usually there is a 30 amp fuse in line on the main battery lead if not it would be a good ideal to install one.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

SUN #2264
Umm good one, thought they were the same. I have a converter under my rear seat that goes on when I plug it in. I didn't see a inverted?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #5

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Huh?

Inverters turn 12vdc indo 120vac.

Converters turn 120vac into 12vdc.

Travel Trailers are equiped with converters to charge the battery and run the 12vdc when you are plugged in to shore power. Most of the systems in the travel trailer run off of 12vdc like the water pump, heater blower, lights and fans.

Most travel trailers do not have inverters so you cannot run the 120vac stuff like the A/C from the battery.

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

SUN #2264
My big red wire that would hook up to my battery goes all the way back to the "converter". Ok my converter has a built in battery charger. I don't see where the inverter would go, (don't see any wires going anywhere) Someone had the battery hooked up at some time. Is the inverter hidden somewhere? Looked under the front seats and the cubby holes. i thought campers came with inverters?
Thanks
Steve in Ct
Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflamevt View Post
My big red wire that would hook up to my battery goes all the way back to the "converter". Ok my converter has a built in battery charger. I don't see where the inverter would go, (don't see any wires going anywhere) Someone had the battery hooked up at some time. Is the inverter hidden somewhere? Looked under the front seats and the cubby holes. i thought campers came with inverters?
Thankso
Steve in Ct
Unless a previous owner added an inverter, there is none in the standard converter system for travel trailers.

If you want an inverter to give you some 110vac when operating on battery only, check out the various aftermarket ones available. The smaller ones usually plug into a cigarette lighter, but the larger capacity ones get direct wired, usually on their own fused circuit.

The large (#10) red wire out on the A-frame is the battery +. There should also be a similar white wire, same size, and that is ground. It should go to the frame and also to the ground lug in the converter.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #8

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Thanks
Steve in Ct
Steve, I'm not trying to be nasty but did you read my post where I meantioned that most travel trailers do not come with inverters?

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steve, Pictures might help here. If you can post them would be good.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #10

SUN #2264
Yes but I was checking to see if the converter acts as a inverter and why they had hooked up a battery if I did not see a inverter. If I knew the answers I would not be posting..
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhWell View Post
Steve, I'm not trying to be nasty but did you read my post where I meantioned that most travel trailers do not come with inverters?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #11

SUN #1830
Steve, What I have are two different wiring systems. One 12V DC system that has the battery and the battery is charged by the converter. There is also a 120V AC wiring system, seperate from the DC sytem. For instance the microwave can run without the battery in the system but anything powered with 12V DC must have the battery installed.

You say your installing a new battery, "there is none now", and you mention a converter/inverter. Are you installing the new converter, or an inverter, with the new battery? What brand and model are you installing with the battery? Is any wiring in place for teh battery?

My answer to your question is that yes, the battery charger will run all the time. It may adjust output according to the battery needs but it will be on, atleast while plugged into 110V shore power. Also, the 12V DC system should have a main fuse. I never saw any power systems without overload protections, fuses. There should be a circuit breaker for the converter and 12V fuses for those circuits.

jim
Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

SUN #1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Steve, What I have are two different wiring systems. One 12V DC system that has the battery and the battery is charged by the converter. There is also a 120V AC wiring system, seperate from the DC sytem. For instance the microwave can run without the battery in the system but anything powered with 12V DC must have the battery installed.

You say your installing a new battery, "there is none now", and you mention a converter/inverter. Are you installing the new converter, or an inverter, with the new battery? What brand and model are you installing with the battery? Is any wiring in place for teh battery?

My answer to your question is that yes, the battery charger will run all the time. It may adjust output according to the battery needs but it will be on, atleast while plugged into 110V shore power. Also, the 12V DC system should have a main fuse. I never saw any power systems without overload protections, fuses. There should be a circuit breaker for the converter and 12V fuses for those circuits.

jim
Edited to add: Granted my TT is larger but the sytems I have seen are all the same. Even if you do/should have a inverter installed it will connect to the battery and have a fused positive line at the battery. That does not mean you do not need a battery charger of some kind.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #13

SUN #2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Steve, Pictures might help here. If you can post them would be good.

jim
Not sure what you wanted for pictures but heres a couple. Not installing a new converter. i was going to install a new battery, but thats when i thought i had a inverter already on the trailer. Not sure what kind of inverter i will put in. The picture is of the wires coming out of the front of the trailer, still not sure where i would wire the inverter to? The other picture is of the converter.
Thanks
Steve in Ct
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0148.jpg (53.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0149.jpg (45.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #14

SUN #264
Still needs a battery, new or used.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #15

SUN #2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Still needs a battery, new or used.
I just bought a battery, 27 class.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #16

SUN #264
Quote:
I just bought a battery, 27 class.
Deep cycle marine/rv, right?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #17

SUN #2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Deep cycle marine/rv, right?
Correct, now how do i got about wireing to the inverter,(when i get one) to run the camper?
Thanks
Steve in Ct
Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
HERE is a great writeup on inverter installation on modmyrv.com!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #19

SUN #1830
The inverter you buy will have wiring diagrams with wire sizes required and possibly any inline fuse sizes you may need. Normally I think the inverter will have a large size wire from the house battery and a large negative back to the battery. I think you need to consider what size you want/need and then follow the instructions they give.

The inverters I have, bought at Sears, came with supply lines to connect them to a battery. I have lines with clips on them and wires with eyelet connectors. There are even fuseholders in the positive side wire. These are for more or less portable use and I'm sure permanent installations would have heavier gage wires and need ventilation for cooling if hidden in a inside compartment.

If you intend to use the inverter much then one battery will not last very long without being recharged somehow.

jim
Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #20

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
You can not run the camper by plugging the camper into an inverter because your converter/charger is going to run and try as you will you can't put power back in as fast as you take it out. You can run things from an inverter but they will have to be plugged directly into it.