Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-21-2023, 11:29 AM   #1

SUN #13767
3miproperty is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile We're New Sunline Owners in the Mitten State

Started looking a few weeks ago for a quality, used trailer to set up on our natural ("wild") 4 acres in the U.P. We'd been renting a small cabin while we worked on the lot but after finding our 2005 Sunline Solaris 2363, now we can stay where we work and hopefully play instead.
It's in excellent condition for age but does have some old water damage from the front window bottom - down behind the sofa. It was fixed by a previous owner, there's no sign of dampness anywhere now but we're going to need some help repairing when the time comes.
That un-opening window in the front is a sore spot for me (Becki) and if it's possible (and within our capabilities), I'd love to take it out and have no opening there. Anyone ever attempted something like that?

Anyway, we love the little girl, very well designed, solid and well thought out. Thanks for having a place to share and encourage!

Old 07-23-2023, 03:22 PM   #2

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Becki,

There is plenty of help here when you are ready to repair the damage. Lots of pictures and rebuild experience to reference.

Taking out the front window itself is relatively simple, the biggest thing with removing it completely is the hole in the exterior siding. Framing in the hole and the interior wall wouldn't be too hard to do and make look good. Ideally to keep the outside looking good and water out new siding would be needed to replace the pieces where the window was cutout. I would say that would give it the most professional outside look and best chance of no new water coming in. There could be other solutions but might not looks as nice.

What specifically do you not like? If the oustide doesn't bother you, making a permanent covering for the inside might be a simpler way to go. I believe some of the older ones actually opened, might be able to replace with a different window. If it is going to stay on your property and not towed the rock guard could be removed and a newer sliding window could be an option.

Any and all questions this is the place to ask. Happy Camping!

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:30 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Becki!

BenB gave you good info, dealing with the siding will be the hard part. And if I recall right, the window on a 2005 T2363 cuts into the bottom part of the big top siding sheet. The top sheet starts at the roof joint and goes all the way down, about 3 1/2ft to 4 ft where it joins the corrugated siding.

You can buy new siding, but odds are high you will have to reside then entire front wall as getting the exact size sheets Sunline used might be hard to get. The cost for shipping (truck freight) and the siding may make this costly.

But, for not a lot of cost, we can help you fix the original problem of the front window leaking. I have found 2 ways the front windows leak, the glass to inside frame leak, (not very common at all, but has happened) or the very common issue, the putty tape seal between the window frame and the siding has dried up, cracked and leaks. This is a very common issue. The cost in material to redo the old putty tape to new high quality butyl tape and a tube of RV Proflex sealant is under $25. All the Labor you will do for free!

The glass seal, if that is the problem, needs to find bad spot where the glass to the metal frame is seeping. Then use Parbond sealant to seal the glass to the frame. Note. The white vinyl you see at the outside from the glass to the metal frame is “not” the water seal. That vinyl is a glazing bead that pulls out to keep dirt and crud from collecting in the frame channel. The actual glass seal is under that vinyl glazing bead. The physical water seal, the glass is bonded to the metal frame

Let us know what you want it do. Both areas have been discussed and repaired here on the forum.

New siding has been discussed also. Helmet Valley in California makes up new siding to order. There are other places also. I’m away from my normal hard files and I remember Helmet Valley out of my head.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote