Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-04-2023, 10:02 AM   #1

SUN #13682
Camper_Life9 is an unknown quantity at this point
New member with 2003 T-310 SR

Hello all,

Stumbled upon the forum looking for a manual for my T-310 SR. New to RV family, as it was an emergency purchase. Currently resides on my property as temporary permanent fixture for my mother. Hooked up to my house for water and electric. Got hosed on the purchase as I was a newbie and in a grind. A small water leak issue that was hidden turned into a catastrophic issue, having to gut and repair 40% of the trailer, good enough for current situation. Everything is up and running now except hot water. Trying to find a manual specific to my yr and model. none of the YouTube videos match my water heater setup.
I have gas to to the stove so I've ruled that out. Water to the sinks, shower, and toilet. But the heater light doesn't turn off and I don't hear the ignition ticking. No reset buttons on the exterior panel as explained in most videos.
Please help in any way!!

Anything else I should know/prepare myself for with this model? What should I do for the winter months as it will be used as a full time residency. I live in Southern New Jersey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230804_115623.jpg (123.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20230804_115652.jpg (63.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20230804_115706.jpg (59.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20230804_115823.jpg (29.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20230804_115718.jpg (43.6 KB, 27 views)

Old 08-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Camper_Life9!

I have the same model camper you do, except in the 2004 model year. But that does not matter; we can help on any model or year Sunline.

A few quick things, we have Sunline owner's manuals here on our forum site, along with a lot of other good info, including many of the cut sheets/manuals of the manufacturers of the appliances in our FILES section.

To get to the FILES section, you have to be logged in. Look up top along the forum for the words "FILES." That is a tab; click it. Then select the area you want to go to and can read on for hours, days, maybe even weeks...

A heads up, RV camper owners' manuals are unlike automobile owners' manuals that give exact instructions on most everything in your auto. The camper owner's manual generally talks about things to help you along the way. For the actual appliances, there are owners manuals with very detailed info on them from the appliance manufacturer. We have many of those in the files section too. If your model is not there, give us the make and model no. on the appliance, and we can help search for it, too, then add it to our files section for future help to others.

You are also welcome to ask any questions about your camper. Just create a post in the appropriate forums and ask away. We have many areas already answered in an old post, but we are fine with asking questions you need help with.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:58 PM   #3

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_Life9 View Post
snip...
I have gas to to the stove so I've ruled that out. Water to the sinks, shower, and toilet. But the heater light doesn't turn off and I don't hear the ignition ticking. No reset buttons on the exterior panel as explained in most videos.
Please help in any way!!

Anything else I should know/prepare myself for with this model? What should I do for the winter months as it will be used as a full-time residency. I live in Southern New Jersey.
Regarding this water heater issue, during the time your camper was built, Sunline was installing two vintages of Atwood water heaters as Atwood changed the control design during that period. Your heater looks in perfect shape if it is the original from 2002/2003. But, it might be just that good-looking, or someone changed it along the way. It would really help if we knew the model number, but it appears the sticker for the model number is gone from your heater. It "normally" is always outside on the lower right stuck to the black side of the heater you can see with the white door down. If you can find the model number, please post it.

But, this can help you get it going regardless of the which vintage, as you have given us some good pics to help with.

See this pic of yours,

And this pic of the control board

Corrosion on the wire terminals can be a common problem causing the issue you are describing. Let's try the easy fixes first, if not then we will have to dig deeper.

Turn the tank panel red rockers switch "off". The one here that says "htr"

Go outside and let the white door down, at the control board, unplug the white connector with all the wires on it from the black control board. Look for tarnish on the connecter tabs of the control board, if this is any, gently brush them with fine emery paper or steel wood. Make sure there is no leftover emery dust or steel wool left on any of those contacts. Using CRC electric contact cleaner or denatured or isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean the PC board contact surface to get any sanding grime away.

If there is not much tarnish at all on the PC board tabs, then just push the wire connector on and off a few times to scratch away any faint tarnish that is hard to see by eye.

Next is the "most" common corrosion issue. The thermal fuse link. Look here, there 2 brown wires that create a run/stop signal and a safety shutdown signal. The brown wire starts at the control board plug, runs down to the T stat (thermostat), then a clear tube with a thermal fuse inside the tube plugs into the other terminal on the T stat, Then out of the thermal fuse, a brown wire goes back up to the control board white connector. Look for what I just described.

The T stat is a normally closed thermal disk switch. When the heater gets up to 140F, the T stat, which is touching the side of the water tank, opens up and shuts down the heater. When the heater cools enough below setpoint, the switch closes again, and the heater will start back up heating water.

The clear tube thermal fuse is a normally closed safety device. Its job is to melt in half if a fire breaks out in the outside area of the heater. When the fuse melts, it breaks the circuit and shuts down the heater, and it will not reset unless you change the thermal fuse.

Now the corrosion issue, either the plug tabs at the T stat or on the thermal fuse get fuzz corrosion on them, and they will not make the circuit. This corrosion has to be cleaned up. HEADS UP, be extra gentle with the clear tube fusible link, or you will break it trying to unplug it. Suggest a pair of needle nose pliers to grip and pull on the fusible link connector while you hold the T stat or the brown wire. Wiggle and pull, then clean up the corrosion.

Once you get the two things above done, then do this and listen for this. You may need a helper so you can watch/listen to the heater outside while they flip the switch inside.

Turn on the red rocker switch at the tank panel for the water heater. The red light on the switch should light up. This switch sends 12 VDC power to the heater control board to become active.

Go outside, and with the door panel down, listen for a clunk when within a second or so of when the red rocker switch is turned on. That one clunk was the gas valve opening. you might hear a hiss of air or gas flow.

Next, after the clunk, you should hear, snap, snap, snap, one snap about once a second of the igniter.

If everything is working, the burner flame might try and start. It might catch or blow out on the first or second try to purge the air out of the gas lines.

The control board has a trial for ignition sequence that will repeat 3 times and then shut down and go into safety lockout if the burner does not light. It goes like this.

Open gas valve, and you hear one clunk.
Power the igniter to snap for so many seconds.
If the gas burner lights, stop the igniter and run until the T stat is satisfied.
If the gas burner does not light within a short period (approx. 10 to 20 seconds), then shut down the gas valve and you hear click/clunk of the gas valve closing, and stop the igniter.
Wait approx. 20 - 30 seconds for any gas to clear, then start over on trial for ignition.

The system does 3 trials for ignition; after 3, it shuts down and goes into safety lockout and will turn on the tiny red fault light between the 2 red rocker switches on the tank panel. To reset and get 3 more tries, turn the heater red rocker switch off, then back on, and you get 3 more tries.

If you do not hear any clunk, and no click, click, click, then nothing will work; odds are the T stat/thermal fuse circuit is not made; check for corrosion as stated above.

If you hear a clunk and no clicks, the gas valve opens, but the igniter has issues, but the T stat and thermal fuse are good.

If you hear the igniter clicking but no clunk of the gas valve, then the gas valve has issues, the ECO safety switch has issues, or the control board. But the T stat/thermal is good.

See if this gets you going; if not, report back on what you hear or do not. And take a picture of the back side of the heater, remove the hamper in the bathroom, or reach in from the bedroom access door to get the bypass valves. And let us know if you have a volt/ohm meter or 12-volt test light. We need to dig deeper.

Hope this helps

John

Old 08-04-2023, 02:19 PM   #4

SUN #89
Quote:

Anything else I should know/prepare myself for with this model? What should I do for the winter months as it will be used as a full time residency. I live in Southern New Jersey.
This is a post of its own. There are several issues to correct to try and use the camper all winter long. This is not simple and after seeing the complexity, you might start working on alternate plans.

Start a new post about this and also tell us how cold it is going to get where you live. From what I know of parts of NJ, snow and freezing can happen.

Also, look under the camper and tell us if there is a large black cover and the water tanks are under that cover or if the 3 water tanks are out in the open under the camper. My 2004 T310SR has heated enclosed tanks, but not sure your 2003 does.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:14 PM   #5

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Look for tarnish on the connecter tabs of the control board, if this is any, gently brush them with fine emery paper or steel wood.
In a previous life as an electronics tech, I learned that any sort of "sanding" such contacts is a Bad Thing, particularly if they're plated. There's not a lot of [electrically good] material there, and you want to avoid removing any of it if possible. Plus, on a microscopic scale, you are leaving deep scratches that subtract from the surface area available to make direct contact with the mating piece.

A better method is burnishing. One simple DIY way to do that is to use a piece of heavy gauge copper wire with no sharp edges to rub the surface until shiny. Easy way to ensure no sharp edges is to fold the wire against itself and rub with the nose of the fold.

Another method that often works surprisingly well is to take a piece of masking tape, fold it with the adhesive on the inside, then polish the contacts with the adhesive-free surface. That actually does remove a minute amount of material, but not nearly as much as any sandpaper would.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:14 PM   #6

SUN #13682
Camper_Life9 is an unknown quantity at this point
John,

Thank you for all the insight. I will take all these steps and report back. Appreciate the help.

Regarding "winterizing", we do get some snow and more so lots of freezing weather. Gets down in the 20's and teens regularly. The underbody does have that black material cover the length of the RV. Just trying to prepare early for anything that needs to be done and can be done to optimize operations in cold Temps.

Nate
Old 08-08-2023, 11:47 AM   #7

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
In a previous life as an electronics tech, I learned that any sort of "sanding" such contacts is a Bad Thing, particularly if they're plated. There's not a lot of [electrically good] material there, and you want to avoid removing any of it if possible. Plus, on a microscopic scale, you are leaving deep scratches that subtract from the surface area available to make direct contact with the mating piece.

A better method is burnishing. One simple DIY way to do that is to use a piece of heavy gauge copper wire with no sharp edges to rub the surface until shiny. Easy way to ensure no sharp edges is to fold the wire against itself and rub with the nose of the fold.

Another method that often works surprisingly well is to take a piece of masking tape, fold it with the adhesive on the inside, then polish the contacts with the adhesive-free surface. That actually does remove a minute amount of material, but not nearly as much as any sandpaper would.
Hi Tin,

I agree with you on the PC board contacts; there is not a "lot" to start with. One does not want to get too carried away cleaning, or you will not have any contact left. My thoughts were along the lines of 600 grit or finer emery paper or 0000 steel wool and lightly brushing the area once or twice. I just, did not state the size, nor did I know of other ways to remove heavy tarnish. Just removing and pressing the connector back on and off a few times has made it make contact in the past for light tarnish. Atwood, on the newer heaters, put a sticker next to the PC board to clean the contacts before submitting a warranty claim; they just next stated how to clean them.

That said, thank you for posting your methods; the copper wire burnish seems much better. I did not know this; thanks for sharing. The masking tape, that one, not sure how the first person ever stumbled onto that one. But, it may be a way to try if the tarnish is very heavy.

Thanks

John

Old 08-08-2023, 12:07 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
John,

Thank you for all the insight. I will take all these steps and report back. Appreciate the help.

Regarding "winterizing", we do get some snow and more so lots of freezing weather. Gets down in the 20's and teens regularly. The underbody does have that black material cover the length of the RV. Just trying to prepare early for anything that needs to be done and can be done to optimize operations in cold Temps.

Nate
Hi Nate,

Consider starting a new post on this topic so we can separate it from the water heater for others in the future, searching for the needs to do this. I have winter camped in our T310SR down to 19F over a weekend, but we also have the enclosed heated tanks on mine that I upgraded, and I only dump the tanks when the days are above freezing. There are other things to deal with, like freezing pipes outside, trapped moisture inside the camper, single-pane glass windows, and dealing with the fridge in cold weather, to name a few. I am glad to share what I did to see if it can help you. These campers were not built for all seasons and freezing temps non-stop. The extended season upgrades and camping a few nights in freezing weather differ from nonstop living when the ground is frozen. I am just trying to be helpful to get you through Nov/early December. Not sure how to get through several months when the days may not get above freezing.

See this post with pics; my 2004 T310SR and my 2004 T317SR have the enclosed tanks setup. If yours has this same feature, it will help. Please have a look, and I hope it helps.

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...pics-9497.html

John