Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-21-2021, 04:03 PM   #1

SUN #12489
RonnieD is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello from RI!

Thanks for the add! My wife & I recently jumped into the travel trailer life with a new-to-us 2006 Sunline Solaris T-2363. We answered an ad on a whim and were totally won over by the sellers and the work they did on the interior of this baby. Can't wait for the weather to warm so we can take it on a shake-down cruise...probably ME or VT. The only issue I've run into is trying to replace the patio awning fabric. I have a replacement fabric, but I can't lock-out the spring tensioner on the lefthand side of my Domenic awning. I can't find a serial/model number on our unit (suggestions for location?). The RV Geeks video makes it look so easy...but my end caps are flat, not cupped as in every video I see online. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Old 04-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome RonnieD!

Congrats on your new sunny! The T2363 is a popular floor plan.

Have you made it past your awning problem yet? I have changed several, what are you wanting to do?

The model and serial number is on the roller tube. You have to have the awning pulled all the way out to see it. It would be similar to this. This is off a 2004 Sunline and a 21 ft awning. Your would be a shorter awning.

If yours is still the original Sunline installed, it would be a Dometic 8300 series Sunchaser awning. If you still have the original Sunline owners manual that came with the camper, the awning numbers could be written down on the yellow appliance identification sheet.

It seems you have the awning fabric already, if I misunderstood that, let me know.

There are a few ways to change the fabric, but you do not need the model and serial number for that. so not sure where you are at in the process. This post may help, it was my first time changing out an awning, by myself, but I have since done the method differently. If you have 2 people it is easier and the method is different. This post has many pics, but again I do it different with 2 people so not sure if it will help. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post113853

Let us know if you need more help on this. I will be installing a new awing fabric in the next week or so and will take pics of the newer process.

Dometic did change end caps from flat to curve as the years went on, but if someone changed your awning to a different brand, then that may explain it too. If you can post pics of your awning arms and the spring ends, we can tell if it is a Dometic.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:07 AM   #3

SUN #12489
Thanks so much for your reply John. I’m storing the trailer on the Cape so I need to plan a drive down to re-investigate. Yes, I have the new fabric on hand. My issue was locking out the spring tensioner on the left hand side of the tube. Could not for the life of me find the hole the RVGeeks YouTube video referenced. I’ve attached several photos for your review. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #4

SUN #12353
claybuddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New to us 2006 sunline Solaris lite classic 2363 10/2020

. Hi everyone!
Omg! We also bought a 2006 sunline Solaris lite Classic 2363!!!! we bought her on Craigslist, she was posted only for 3 days when on a Sunday I saw the ad. Begged my husband to take an hour drive, but he had a lot of yard work so he wasn’t going. I took off right away and the folks were great, explaining all the outside hook ups, pulled out the awning and the original manual and check ups! These folks were the 2nd owners. The original owners were their good friends. The place in side is AMAZINGGG! Like it just came out of the show room. We picked her up the next day and I’ve been making her ours ever since.
Want to know the crazy?? We had no idea what a SUNLINE TT was! We really did happen into the most incredible TT. Bought her in Oct. 2020 The folks even winterized her for us! Now we can’t wait to start using her. So far everything is original and works great. The best part....is finding this website, sooo helpful! I hope to post some pics of her soon.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieD View Post
My issue was locking out the spring tensioner on the left hand side of the tube. Could not for the life of me find the hole the RVGeeks YouTube video referenced. I’ve attached several photos for your review. Thanks again!
Hi Ronnie,

Dometic has changed the end caps over the years. The newer Sunline vintage 8500 awnings do not/may not, have the hole for the cotter pin on them on the non latch side.

I was just changing out an awning this weekend on my 2004 T1950 project camper and we had a family matter pull me away so I did not finish it. But I have a bunch of pics from other awning installs if they can help any. I was going to make an updated "How to change an awning" post, but have not made it to it yet. If you need something, just ask.

Here are the end caps, I know the 2004's to 2007's had these still. Odds are high they go back to earlier models that still have the 8500 series awning.

The non latch end that you are referring to.

Since there is no pin, I had to unwind the spring. There are a lot of instructions on the web on how folks do an awning change, just they may not exactly match the awning on the Sunlines, it all depends on the vintage of when the awning was made. The web U Tubes etc do help, just make sure they match the exact awning you have.

The same goes for the latch end. I have found myself people posting you do not have tp mess with the springs, but the awning cords are not always installed the same. They never went into that. Like this one here, where on the latch end, the awning cord installed by Dometic, goes under the awning cap and locks into a special slot. There is no way I have found to not have to take the latch side end cap off to get that old cord out and the new cord locked in. The newer vintages offer that feature, but the ones I have done so far do not. If someone has figured out a better way, please post.

Here is the latch end.

The main awning cord, folded over, locked in position and "under" the latched end cap.

Here are some instructions from Dometic which may help from our files section. NOTE: There are standard awning torsion springs and heavy duty torsion springs. The number of turns may differ based on the length of the awning and the spring size. You can use calipers to measure the spring wire and sort out which you have.

The 8500 series awning fabric install https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/d...o=file&id=5640

The 8500 series hardware. The awning arms.
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/d...o=file&id=5641

One word of help, before you take anything off the awning tube, mark both end caps where the top of the awning is on the caps and the tube, which way the awning springs are wound (unwound) and which slot holds the main awning fabric, which slot is for the valance and which is for the pull strap. The awing tube is not exactly the same on both ends even while it looks quick that way. The latch end has the main fabric cord lock slot, the non latch end does not. Count the revs of the spring as you unwind so when you wind it up, it goes back on the same way. Triple check that you wound up the awning fabric the correct way, before trying to install it. I know it sound simple, but you have a 50/50 chance of wrapping it the wrong way.

If you need a pic-o-gram instruction sequence let me know, I'll work on my new post sooner rather then later. Just let me know by when you need it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

John

Old 04-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #6

SUN #9777
Tkch88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I cheaped out and bought the SunWave awning from Amazon, as I figured I'd only have the trailer a couple more years. I found it a tad wider, so it isn't as tight when fully deployed, and it doesn't seem to resist dirt as well. I wish I had gone with a Dometic replacement now.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:54 AM   #7

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkch88 View Post
I cheaped out and bought the SunWave awning from Amazon, as I figured I'd only have the trailer a couple more years. I found it a tad wider, so it isn't as tight when fully deployed, and it doesn't seem to resist dirt as well. I wish I had gone with a Dometic replacement now.
Hi Tkch88,

When you mean the Sunwave was wider and not as tight, can you explain the context of that a little more? If you mean when the awning is extended fully out, that stopping distance is adjustable, not sure how you are seeing the awning not be tight when out. May be able to help if we know more.

The dirt attraction, when I switched from the original 10 year old sun baked Dometic awning to the Sunwave, at first I seemed to notice a slight dirt attraction as well. Now having the Sunwave for 8 years and using it, that dirt attraction is now not like I noticed when it was brand new. I "think" what may have happened, a brand new awning is a softer vinyl and dirt may attract to it easier from static or the fact dirt grips the new vinyl easier as compared to the hard crusty Dometic I just took off. Dirt slid off the crusty Dometic easier.

Now 8 years later using the Sunwave, I do not seem to have the original new sticky dirt issue, or that I can remember what the old one was like. One almost needs to compare a brand new Domectic to a new Sunwave in the same dirt conditions to see how much the difference, if any. The new Dometic may be a harder vinyl to start with too. And let me explain, the sticking dirt I saw, had, was not really bad, just different. I also use 303 UV treatment on mine since new in 2013 and that makes a big difference in life of the awning and the dirt sticking.

Just trying to compare notes to see how what others have experienced. I have no regrets now using the Sunwave after 8 years and have bought 3 more and installed since with a 4th one coming up soon.

John

Old 04-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #8

SUN #12489
Hi John, Sorry for the much delayed reply to your detailed post. I had to go out of town, so I've been away from my computer. The end caps you posted pictures of, look like mine. Our Sunline is parked about 1.5 hours away from us, so I have not had the chance to look for the serial number. So if I understand correctly, there is no lock-out pin/hole on the opposite side of the latch end....I'll need to read up more on unwinding the spring before I attempt that. Same principal as latch end using vice-grips? Thanks again for your time & expertise!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #9

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieD View Post
So if I understand correctly, there is no lock-out pin/hole on the opposite side of the latch end....I'll need to read up more on unwinding the spring before I attempt that. Same principal as latch end using vice-grips? Thanks again for your time & expertise!
Hi Ronnie,

Yes, you unwind with the vise grips. Make sure you hang onto the vise grips when you remove the 1/4" bolt from the awning arm and shaft. The spring is not super powerful, but the strength is constant and will now let up until the spring is totally unwound. A non restrained vise grip pliers on the end whizzing around is not a good thing.

A few pics of the vide grips setup. Both the latch end and the unlatch end are the same basic operation, clearances are a little different.

With the arms still connected to the awning, lay the entire awning down on the ground and prop up the end you are working on so the vise grips and pass under as they unwind/wind the spring.

On the latch end, the latch holds the shaft to help, but you have to release the latch then unwind.

On the non latch end, the same basic process but there is no latch and a little less room, but the vise grips still fit in there.

The grips do fit in this space

When all done unwinding

Remember these tips.
1. Mark everything before removing, including the direction on "each" end cap the spring was wound. They are left and right hand springs.

2. Before taking the bolt off the arm, make sure the vise grips are locked on good onto the shaft. Be prepared for the spring tension when the bolt is removed from the arm and do not left go of the vise grips until all tension is lost.

3. When installing, same precautions, do not let go of the vise grips until the bolt is back in the awning arm holding the shaft from spinning.

In case you need it, come with 3/16" dia. x 1/2" long aluminum pop rivets and a rivet tool to install them. You need a 3/16 drill bit to drill them out when removing the caps.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Old 05-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #10

SUN #12489
Thank you soooo much John. I can't wait to give this another try with your beautifully detailed instructions. Need a nice weekend, weather-wise. Fingers crossed. I'll report back...

-Ron

Tags
awnings, domenic