Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #1

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
New to us, 2004 Sunline 264SR

We almost have her in our driveway. The dealer is doing last minute cleaning, etc. We are SO excited.

Since we are newbies, what would be the most important advice you can give us??? About the TT, camping, whatever???

Old 10-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #2

SUN #406
chuck & lori
First-congrats on your new to you Sunline. Welcome to the group.
Best advice I can give is read through this forum, you will find a wealth of information regarding your trailer, maintenance, modifications, campgrounds, and meet and greet opportunities to name a few topics. This is a very knowledegable and friendly group.
For example recently there was a question about finding a manual for a used trailer. Steve Collins posted a very thorough answer on how to recreate the manual from resources on this forum and another. I used this example because I see you asked this same question in the new members section. I don't remeber where it is posted, but I am sure someone will jump in with that info.
Again welcome and happy Sunline camping.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
First-off, welcome to SOC!

We just got a T-320SR in August.. Granted, it is Kanyonkitty's 14th Sunline, but it is her/our first slide room one. We've been busy fixing some of the PO's messups and going mod-crazy with it.

If there is anything you need help with, we'd be glad to try and help... As well as everybody else on SOC!

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the club!

Start your research in the "files" section.

Then try some searches on key words like: "Winterizing" "Maintenance" You'll find more info than you can probably absorb, but it's there!!

Here's the link to the Owner's Manual Post:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...pic.php?t=3459

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Re: New to us, 2004 Sunline 264SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Alice
We almost have her in our driveway. The dealer is doing last minute cleaning, etc. We are SO excited.

Since we are newbies, what would be the most important advice you can give us??? About the TT, camping, whatever???
Hi Ron and Alice

Welcome to the club.

To your question, what is the "most" important, that is a big question but one thing that is most important is to really enjoy the Sunline camping experience.

The first few trips in any camper may present some challenges that, well gee I never thought of that or man this is frustrating. We can help fill in the missing pieces and help with the frustrations which often times can be a simple thing that turned out to be hard at first. I remember well my 1st frustration that was suppose to be simple, it was how to unlatch the ball coupler that Sunline uses on the newer TT’s and your 2004 is one of the newer styles. I was trying to pivot it up like all the other ball coupler latches I have used, well the 2004 ones slide back and forth horizontally, not vertically, they lock solid trying to pivot them up. We camped at 2 different camp sites on the way home from the dealer and both times I could barely get the ball couple to unlatch until I got it home and figured out how the coupler worked. Now it is easy as pie.

We have a search feature on the forum which if you type in a word or 2 will bring up that that topic and you can read what already was discussed. If your question was not asked, well Sunline Club is the place to ask it on Sunlines.

There is a lot to absorb in the beginning going to TT camping and soon it will become effortless to setup and break camp and then just go have fun. However there is one thing that is important to understand and that is about TT weight and balance in loading the camper, the weight distribution hitch, anti sway controls and how all this works with your tow vehicle and just plain how to hitch up. These are safety things that once explained and understood are easy to follow. Many TT dealers do not spend lot of time explaining towing setups like they should. They take more time on how to use the camper which is good needed info too, but are often lacking in hitch setup.

When you get the camper home and can see what it is you have as far as a hitch system, come back to us here and we can help explain to you how optimize the setup once the camper is all loaded with the tow vehicle. An empty TT at the dealer will have different setings then a loaded camper at home. Posting pics of your system goes a long way in explaining to us what it is you have and how to exactly adjust your system as they are not all the same.

Good luck and have fun. Getting a new to you camper are always good times. And there are no stupid questions or gee I can’t ask that question here on Sunline Club. You’re a new camper friend to us and ask away.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #6

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Ron and Alice,

Make sure the dealer sets you up with a weight distribution hitch that is good for a tongue weight of 1200lbs. If they try to talk you into something lighter, stand your ground and insist on a 1200lb model. Don't go by the manufactures dry weight, because I can tell you the loaded weight will quickly go over 1000lbs.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #7

SUN #89
Ron and Alice

Mike brings up a good point. This summer at the Sunline Buttonwood Meet and Greet I weighed several T264SR campers for folks. All where over 1,000# tongue weight once loaded with camping stuff. That size camper and floor plan can go over the 1,000# mark heading to 1,200#.

If your are a super light weight camping family, then yes it can be under 1,000# but that is not the norm. Most of us like to actually bring extra things with us. It may not be on day one but after year 1 of camping in the mobile suites of a Sunline, the stuff accumulates…..

Good luck

John

Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #8

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
Hi John I dont know if you remember weighting my tongue on my 264 it came in at 1164 and after we weight it I realized that the black tank was 1/2 to 3/4s full so it could have been at 1200 lbs if you take into account that the rear tank waa taking away from the tongue Dan
Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #9

SUN #89
Dan

Yes, I remember yours and that really nice polished up EX or yours!

When I got to Mikes TT, I realized the black and gray tanks are in the back of that model camper unloading some of the tongue weight. A 1,200# loaded tongue is not hard to get to with no water in the black or gray tank unless one is a minimalist style camper. While I use to be a back packing minimalist…now that I have wheels under my tent…Stuff just adds up! Amazing how for 14 days on the trail we would only have a 50# pack expect for food drops. Now I’m 9,200# loaded with water….

John

Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #10

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
WOW, thanks everybody! I will let Ron sneak in here later, so he can read all your suggestions/inquiries. We finally have the TT here, and Ron is so excited, he has already packed his summer clothes in it - for winter in Florida.

Unfortunately, our first trip will be the one we head South for. It is now too cold for camping here in NB, so we can only wait til Jan. to have FUN! And if the sun ever shines, I will try to take some photos.

BTW, does anybody have any suggestions as to what to use the TV stand in the BDR for? We don't have a TV here at home, so will not be using the bdr option. Maybe the space over the fridge where it is also supposed to be, but only to watch DVD's, the weather, etc.

Thanks,
Alice
Ron & Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #11

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're new to Rving as we were some 10 years ago, we read everything we could find. I'd go to the site and read through every post, at least the first posting of a topic. In relatively short order you can get a world of information.

You won't remember it all but you'll know it's there.

The other thing is to crawl about, over, under and in your RV, seeking to find where everything is, to imagine how everything works. We were amazed when we started RVing, never recognizing that an RV is more than a house on wheels, it's almost a little city with water and electrical systems. I find it all very interesting.

The other neat thing about RVing is take your time, be careful and thoughtful. In some sense it's like learnign to drive as a 16 year old, new stuff to learn and absorb.

We wish you the very best with your rig. RVing outside of my marriage and family is the best thing I ever did.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #12

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
BTW, does anybody have any suggestions as to what to use the TV stand in the BDR for? We don't have a TV here at home, so will not be using the bdr option. Maybe the space over the fridge where it is also supposed to be, but only to watch DVD's, the weather, etc.
One suggestion is to remove the shelf from the bedroom and remount it on the end of your counter by the sinks for extra counter space that you can fold out of the way when not needed. You may have to reinforce the inside of the cabinet, but that's not too hard. I've seen people mount a narrow shelf in the bedroom to cover the holes where the shelf was. Makes a great place to store small items (like eyeglasses) and with the AC outlet there charge a cell phone, ipod, etc..

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote