Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-04-2021, 05:32 AM   #1

SUN #8474
jsm5394 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Winter cover

Hi,
My 2004 T2499 has never seen snow. It’s been garaged it's whole life. Now I need to leave it outside over the harsh northeast winter. Can anyone suggest a good cover to protect it? I’m also looking for suggestions on keeping mice out. Last debate; should I use RV antifreeze or blow the lines out?

Thanks
Jim

Old 10-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim,

On the cover, I just beat up this topic and bought one for a friend I helping with their camper. I narrowed down the brands to Adco and Classic Accessories. Then I went for more the better end ones, but not the super best. I wanted a warranty of at least 3 years, all weather fabric and the cost to be tolerable for the quality.

In my case, the front of the camper to the back bumper is 25' 7" which is the size I went for on a universal fit one.

Here is the Adco at RVUpgrades I was looking at. ADCO 34843 Designer Series Tyvek Plus Wind https://www.rvupgradestore.com/adco-...-p/01-0133.htm

And here is the Classic one, Classic Accessories 80-137-171001-00 PermaPRO
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/24-27...-p/01-0273.htm

I went with the Classic one. It has 4 zipper panels on the door side verses 3 on the Adco. Getting into the camper in the off season is a need for my friend and the smaller panel could be easier to deal with. And the Classic has a better warranty. Again, keep in mind, warranty is important and the better warranty the better it will hold up, but a rip/tear may be what forces a change rather then being beyond the warranty. The cost up grade on the Classic was not that much more then the lesser cost on the Adco.

Your camper will have a shorter cover, and be a little less cost. I went with RV Upgrades as they have them in my size, at least now, and the price beat out many others. I have used RV Upgrades a lot and have had good transactions with them. Shipping is free over $99 so the cover would be free freight.

I ordered the cover yesterday, and surprisingly, UPS dropped it off today. They are Ohio based, so maybe that was way it came so fast. I have not used it yet, so I cannot report on that part. Give me about 3 weeks and I can report on the fit etc.

To keep mice out, the first line of defense is to plug up any hole in the bottom of the camper. There can be several places that invite mice in. Look real close "all over" the bottom of the camper where anything goes up through the black Darco plastic liner. Any hole in the black Dacro is a mouse entry point. If they find the smallest hole, they then chew at it and make it bigger then get into the basement and up into the living space if the can find a route to it.

I'm assuming you may not have the shore power cord plugged in. If it is not, that cord hole is an open invite to mice. Seal up the hole around the cable.

Do not leave any food inside.

As to blow out or pump antifreeze. I myself blow out, but I have done extra rework on the piping to make sure all the lines and pump will be blown out. And I use a big enough compressor to make sure it will blow it out. If you are not sure of the air blow out method on your floor plan, then pumping the anti-freeze through the lines does work, again if done right.

The drain traps need anti-freeze regardless of the line blow out method.

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

SUN #8474
Thanks John. I ordered the ADCO. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Jim
Old 10-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #4

SUN #8474
The ADCO Tyvec Plus Wind is discontinued. They said that they couldn’t get Tyvec anymore. Née model is called UV Hydro. ADCO claims it’s similar to the original except generic Olafin instead of Tyvec. I got the new one today.

My question is about installation. YouTube shows walking on the roof to install. I can’t see that as a good idea. What do you think? Walk on the roof, or install from ladders?
Old 10-23-2021, 07:41 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim,

You cannot walk directly on your Sunline roof without putting a tarp, canvas, rug etc to protect from abrasion, and the small sheets of plywood to span the rafters to support your weight. This works for servicing the roof not, but not great for putting a cover on.

I just finished today putting the Classic cover on for my friend. It went very well, I think I have a process. I took a bunch of pics of the process and will make a post. But it won’t be until later this week until I can get it posted.

We had 2, 10ft step ladder and 2 people. It went on very good, but we had to fold/roll it up the right way to unfold right before putting it on the roof.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:00 AM   #6

SUN #12353
claybuddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Winterizing to keep critters out

Hey all!
Just wanted to spill some creative ideas about mice deterrents. I went to the dollar store. Bought those cute miniature red Dixie cups and lots of “Original” Irish spring soap. Chunked up the Irish spring placed in the cups and placed in cabinets and drawers. I also bought a bunch of those small plastic square cups.(the ones that come in a pack of “drawer containers” ?) Anyway I put the sticky Velcro strips on the bottoms. Then hot glued some 3m dble stick tape to the back side of the Velcro (cause it just wouldn’t stick to the Velcro back). Wait till cool. Then I removed the tab off the dble stick 3m tab and placed the containers in all the areas that I get to on my hands and knees and unscrew panels and get in behind the bottom drawers, & next to the wheel wells etc. etc WHEW! YOU ALL KNOW what I’m talking about! SO my thoughts are: These little boxes WON’T be moving around! Then they will always be there and I will only have to remove or replace with new soap or cotton balls drenched in peppermint oil when ever. Of course I have sealed up all holes underneath and tinfoil in cutouts around pipes inside too. If you all have any creative ideas please share what works for you! Fyi” dryer sheet just made great bedding material for my mouse.

On another note: How do I get those tiny gutter spouts to shoot further away from the side of the TT! Aagghh annoying drip drip, would like to see invented those roll up and roll out spouts like you can buy to attach to my home gutters!
Ciao!
Old 10-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

SUN #12353
TT RV Masking 21-24 ft. On our 24ft sunny

We Like the “Rv Masking Cover 6 Layers top Heavy” You can look it up on amazon and see our reviews on it with pic and video. It has 3 zippers. RV Masking gave us 2 extra tire covers because I wasn’t happy finding out 2 was after purchasing our cover for 360.00 it was later it was 40.00 cheaper! So they gave me 30.00 refund, 2 tire covers and extended the warranty to five years!
Now the first year on was Nov. 2020. When we took it off this spring May 2021, there was wear and holes the size of 1/2 dollar where it rubbed on the rear bumper corners. The Velcro straps don’t have enough oomph to keep the sides rolled up. So I will address that issue with them. But it worked well for us through the Midwest winter & wind! I was in and out of it so zippers work well in the cold and snow!
Old 10-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #8

SUN #8474
I just installed the newest ADCO UV Hydro cover. The Tyvec Plus Wind was discontinued since they couldn’t get name brand Tyvec anymore. It went on pretty easy. Lots of zippers. Velcro straps to reinforce the zippers. Seems pretty nice so far. Only issue is that it was to include 4 wheel covers. It only included one. I’m sure they’ll send me the rest when I ask tomorrow.

Thanks again for the advice
Old 10-24-2021, 08:05 PM   #9

SUN #12353
Thumbs up TT Covers are nice!

Good for you! I looked at it on amazon, looks nice! Just makes ya’ feel so much better when it’s all covered up. Well when the snow comes And it does come wet and heavy, here in Illinois, we made sure we had a pathway shoveled around the trailer for a ladder to broom off the weight. (Something to prepare for) . Oh and we used tennis balls and pool noodles for any sharp corners or gutters! Still got some wear like i said but …it gets pretty windy here, so not crying over it.
All the covers really should add dble material on the bottom corners! Happy for ya”

Tags
cover, winter, winterizing