Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #1

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
Running light problem . . . .sometimes?

We got our trailer inspected early this month, prior to taking it in we never had a problem with the lights (exterior lights that go on in realtion to what the tow vehicle is doing).

When we went to pick it up the running lights wouldn't come on. Went to the mechanic, they apoligized and replaced the plug, then had to adjust the ground wire too. And we drove home no problem (granted that is only like 5 miles)

Went to hook up the following weekend to camp and struggled with the lights forever and could not get the running lights to stay on consistently. . . . being that it was daylight we went for it. (All other lights worked fine).

We left the camper at the campground (as planned) during the week and returned this weekend. During the week I also got the tow vehicle plug and fuses checked (at the dealer) and they found no problems.

Hooked up this morning and everything worked on the first try.

I'm having a hard time believing this is 'fixed' but I'm not sure where to have someone look to find out.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #2

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeScraps View Post
I'm having a hard time believing this is 'fixed' but I'm not sure where to have someone look to find out.
Start simple. I'd check the plug connections at the tow vehicle and on the trailer. Make sure the contacts are clean and tight.

Teach

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Diane, you didn't say if it was all of the lights at one time, or just one or two of them.

When you say you struggled with them, did you mean that you had to repeatedly wiggle the 7 pin connector on the pigtail to get them to come on? Or are you doing something else that makes them work or not work?

Did the apologetic mechanic replace just the 7 pin plug on the end of the pigtail or did he replace the entire pigtail?

If I remember correctly, you live in upstate NY? If so, road salt is a huge problem with the 7 pin connector on the TV, especially the blades under the lid. I keep mine liberally coated with dielectric grease to protect against corrosion issues.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #4

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
It's all or nothing with the running lights

They replaced the plug at the end

We are in PA - so we have a fair share of road salt

In order to get it to come on it was a combo of adjusting the ground wire and the 'wiggle' . .. and some not so nice words

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeScraps View Post
It's all or nothing with the running lights

They replaced the plug at the end

We are in PA - so we have a fair share of road salt

In order to get it to come on it was a combo of adjusting the ground wire and the 'wiggle' . .. and some not so nice words
Hard to fully diagnose from a distance, but it sounds like the ground should be redone: Remove the ground wire from the TT chassis, sand the chassis grounding point, get a new ground connector (standard wire lug available in the electric dept of any home improvement store. Clean the ground wire end until it is shiny (sand paper or scrape), coat everything with dielectric grease, reinstall the lug on the wire nice and tight, and then connect the lug to the frame - use a new screw or even better, drill a new hole and then use a new screw.

It may also be worth a look at the ground wire on the TV side for similar issues.

If it gets down to wiggling the 7 pin, then there is likely something intermittent in either the TV connector or the new pigtail plug. Could be a loose wire, a partly corroded terminal, or one of the lugs in the TV connector is falling apart.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote