Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

SUN #1458
matti is an unknown quantity at this point
Slide Room Top Seal

Finally got to removing the tape that was peeling on the slide roof . I removed all the hex screws that were installed by the factory as they were cutting in to the seal & left holes (see photo on left side a dark area)

The screws actually cut thru the tape & allowed water to migrate down the screw thread & loosen the wood fibers. I countersunk the holes & used flat wood screws after applying a little sealer in the holes to make sure the screws were sealed. I applied 4" Eternabond to the roof seams & ran a small amount of Dicor on the edge to keep the dirt from collecting on the ooze out. I would think it be a good practice to replace the hex screws on the Sunny Slide out before it becomes a problem like mine as with the topper on it is hard to see the screws. Pretty pleased with how things turned out & now I can install the new A & E topper fabric.

HD Tow Package\Integrated Brake Ctrl
3.73 LS Rear
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Matt

Good job!! Yes I too had the same issue with the hex head screws cutting into the seals. I however found the problem before water wicked down the screw thank goodness.

Your doing a good job of sealing that camper up for a long time to come. Good for you.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #3

SUN #1458
Thanks John, The hardest part was getting all that factory tape off!!! I also had to relocate some of the screws as the ones that were the water migrated did not hold any longer.
3.73 LS Rear
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #4

SUN #809
ihsolutions
I had to do this on my Sunline fifth wheel too, since it had sat at the dealer with the slides extended for a few years all the tape had become brittle and was peeling back and or cracking where the screw heads were.

Once I had peeled back the tape I was surprised to find water beneath the tape.

Eternabond is the only proper fix here IMO as the OEM type of material will only last a few years if you are lucky. Sadly, most ever new rig I have seen including my 2011 are built this way and I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure. With four slideouts to worry deal with, it's going to be a time consuming effort to redo all these once they start to fail, especially since I will have to remove all four slide toppers before beginning work.
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

SUN #1458
Jeff... I feel your pain with having to do 4 slides Perhaps you can schedule each one as the topper fabric becomes ready for replacement. Kinda wish the manufactures would stop using the hex screws at least on top of the slide roofs so we would not have to do this. Since I intend to have this TT for a long time I plan on doing all the seam areas with eterna bond ( getting to old to keep getting up on the roof Have a great one!!
3.73 LS Rear