Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-21-2023, 01:54 PM   #1

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
RM2652 Refrigerator Not Working On Gas

The Dometic RM2652 Refrigerator in my 2000 T2370 has suddenly stopped working on propane. Works fine on 110.
Hoping someone can help me out.

I did a bunch of research but couldn’t find this exact problem. When I turn it on a flame lights, but I don’t believe it’s supposed to have flame where it is (see pic). The flame is actually burning the thermocouple wiring. And of course it shuts itself off after 30 seconds or so.
I took the cover off and blew compressed air into the burner tube etc. but no luck.

Any suggestions?

IMG_6497.jpg

Old 08-25-2023, 09:12 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi John,

A quick response as I have very low internet signal and can’t post pics well if the items below.

You are correct, the flame is not supposed to be at that location. Do not use it that way as it will not heat the boiler tube but will heat everything else.

A few things to check

1. Is the igniter cable skinned and it is sparking near where the flame is at?

2. Did you confirm the burner tube is wide open, no insects crawled in? Stink bugs and mud daubers have been found to nest in the gas burner tube

3. The gas nozzle jet may have a piece of dirt in it creating a strange bad gas flow pattern rather the a nice clean path of gas down the center of the gas burner tube. To clean the jet, remove the gas burner, unscrew the brass jet from the end of the gas valve. Do not poke it in fear if a scratch that will change the gas flow pattern. Soak in alcohol to clean it out, hold up to the light and see the jet hole is clear

4. It might be possible that the gas flue tube is clogged with rust or partly clogged with rust creating a restriction and lowering the draft up the tube. If the draft is real low, the gas may blow back and burn in the wrong spot.

There is a flue baffle that hangs inside the gas flue tube, the way to pull it out is complex unless someone else knows a better way. You have to take the roof vent cover off, then snip the screen in the roof vent on 3 sides to fold back the screen on the 4th which is still attached. Then reach down with a hook to grab the flue baffle rod, you will see a hoop of 1/16” wire, unclip it and then lift it up out of the tube and out the top of the roof vent. Hopefully the baffle ( approx 3 1/2” lg) has not rusted off the holding rod (approx 16-20” lg)

Then clean out the flue tube, all the rust and junk will fall to the bottom. Vacuum it out. Put flue baffle back in, clip the hanging rod. Try the fridge on gas before putting the vent screen back on.

If all works, fold over the vent screen and Dicor caulk ( non leveling ) the screen back to the base in the 3 sides and install cover

Before doing any pulling out of the flue baffle, cover the end of the gas valve jet with a cloth etc so not dirt or rust will get into that hole. It is ideal to have the gas burner out of the way when cleaning so all the rust does not fall into it

5. in place of removing the flue baffle, I have not tried this, but heard if it. Remove the gas burner. Cover the gas jet. Blow up with compressed air up the flue. Do not shove something up the flue as you can damage the flue baffle. Rust and crud will fly up and all over and maybe break up the clog. Vacuum up what mess you can.

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out. You might have to replace the electrode if the insulation allows spark to come out in the wrong place

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 10:12 AM   #3

SUN #8237
Thank you John!!
Problem solved. It was mud dauber stuff in the burner tube. Gave that a good cleaning and all’s well. Blew compressed air up the stack and nothing came out of there.

IMG_6521.jpg
Old 08-27-2023, 10:13 AM   #4

SUN #8237
RM2652 Refrigerator Not Working On Gas

IMG_6520.jpg

Thanks again for all you do.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:45 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi John,

Thanks for the good words. Greatly appreciated.

Glad you got the fridge up and going on gas again. Yes, I see the mud dauber leftovers inside the burner.

By chance, do you have the insect screens on the side vent cover? There are a few brands of these stainless screens. I have used several of the Camco's with good results. I used to have to trim fit the ends, but the latest ones seemed to have adjusted the length, and no more timing is needed.

https://www.camco.net/insect-screens...or-vents-42158

I get them here at RV Upgrades cheaper, but they charge freight less than $99 worth of items. I often buy enough stuff, and I get the free freight option.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Do...-p/07-0140.htm

Amazon has them on Prime; they just cost more.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GCXT3RS...g=camcorv09-20

I also use the Camco stainless screen on the water heater and the furnace. The LP gas fumes attract the bugs and can make a real mess.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:42 PM   #6

SUN #8237
John, I do have the insect screens installed. Installed them shortly after acquiring the camper in 2018.

I’m almost ashamed to admit that I had never even serviced the fridge. I now see Dometic recommends annual service of those parts. It’s amazing the thing worked on gas as long as it has.

Bad on me. [emoji3]