Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #1

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Is it time to replace my pressure relief valve?

On a recent camping weekend my Atwood water heater pressure relief valve started dripping like crazy, Not a minor drip but embarrassing enough for several people to ask what happened, and there wasn't much I could do to stop it. Then I happen to read in you tube how you can tap the center of the flip lever pivot with a pointed object like a Philips screwdriver/hammer combo to possibly slow the leak or even stop it. Well I did this and the leak all but stopped. I'm not sure what it's future is.
So now I ask the question. Is it time to replace the pressure relief valve anyway to prevent the same thing from potentially happening again?

It's a 2007 Sunline 2499, and the valve is the original one. What do you think for those who have experience with this thing ?

Thank you

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:13 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep happens to household ones too once in awhile more likely in a camper because the water supply is not consistent, easy fix.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:51 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Bob,

There are a few things going on that created your problem.

1. Excess thermal expansion pressure or temperature of the water tripped the safety relief. This can come from a few issues, here are some of the more common I have seen, but not all I'm sure.

A. The air pocket in the top of the water heater dissolved and left no air cushion for heated water thermal expansion. This normally is a weeping relief valve.

B. A gusher blow off out the valve, can come from a combo of overheating and or lack of air cushion. If you have had hard water for a long time being heated, the mineral build up can be bad enough that the scale inside the heater starts insulating the tank and not allowing the sensor outside the tank to know when to shut down the heater. This ends up overheating the water. Then the thermal expansion is even worse and faster and the blow off gusher won't stop quick at all. This can compounded by mineral buildup on the valve stem of the relief valve not allowing the spring to reset it. Thus tapping the stem helps shut it up. The relief valve is supposed to have at least "annual" maintenance to open and close it to make sure it does not get stuck and works easy.

C. Many folks leave their water heater on all the time in the camper. They do this at home and think it is OK to do it in the camper. Yes, you can do that, leave it on all the time, but it can also accelerate mineral build up, air cushion being dissolved and potential shorter life from the water heater tank. If you only use hot water say, 1 to 2 hours per day, the other 22 hours the system is at full temp making mineral build up inside the tank. The newer heaters with electric ignition make it easy to turn the heater on and off. Just turn it on 20 minutes before you need it, use it, then turn it off.

D. Many folks do not know to flush the sediment out of the bottom of the water heater every spring when starting up the heater coming out of winterizing. Over time all the mineral build up starts corroding the tank.

If you had a 1B above, odds are high you have a good scale buildup inside the heater and the relief valve has the build up also. The relief valve is not that expensive and I recommended to replace it. If it would not reset like it is supposed to, it will happen again. You can do a vinegar boil out of the water heater to de-scale it. The Atwood manual tells how to do this.

If you need help with any of this, ask away.

Since most campgrounds do not supply soft water to our campers, you are at the mercy what ever comes out of their supply valve. It may be very hard water, that makes the scale issue even worse.

Most campers do not have a thermal expansion bladder tank, and there was no Sunline made as standard with them in it. Some have added one and this helps with the loss of air pocket in the water heater creating the over pressures and weeping relief valve. You can also know about the problem, and recreate the air pocket when you get to camp. This can be a pain, but it does work. Some have created a drain valve setup on the water heater to make recreating the air pocket much simpler, ~ a 2 to 5 minute task.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #4

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Thanks John...I make sure my WH is left empty between seasonal use. In the winter the drain plug is left out and there is a bit of antifreeze in the bottom. I never did the vinegar boil. I'll look it up and do it, and I've decided to put a new pressure relief valve in since there inexpensive.

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:24 PM   #5

SUN #9777
Tkch88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I replaced mine on my 2001 last year. The water was messing up the electronics. Replaced it, and all is good now.