Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-15-2023, 10:46 AM   #1

SUN #11102
Gregorym is an unknown quantity at this point
Awning.

I have 2000 Sunline Solaris. I attempted to replace the awning fabric. The awning fabric was replaced but the awning wont go up or down on its own. It's a manual awning. I can.wind it up by hand. I took it to a rv repair shop. At 1st he said he has to.get a new spring that is inside the roller tube then called me back and said he can't fix it and I need a complete new awning at the cost of $2500. Why couldn't I buy just the new tube with a new spring.why do I have to a whole new awning.? Your thoughts.?
Thanks Gregory.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:13 PM   #2

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
If it worked properly before the fabric replacement it sounds like the springs were not rewound correctly to give it tension. Did you rewind the springs? Or another question would be did you unwind the springs? Usually the end cap has to come off to replace fabric which requires unwinding the springs.

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:16 PM   #3

SUN #7990
Here is the write up JohnB did for fabric replacement. It shows the unwinding and winding of the springs.

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ics-14771.html

DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
Old 07-16-2023, 10:00 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I now see you have two close posts that are almost the same. I responded to the other post on getting parts.

But you may be able to fix what you have unless something actually broke. If you want to get into trying to fix what you have, we need pics of what you have and a description of how you did the awning replacement.

Also, describe what the awning does now. Is there no tension at all? How do you roll it back up?

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:39 AM   #5

SUN #11102
Gregorym is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Ben. Thank you for your reply. I took trailer to a reputable rv repair place and they said it could not be fixed. I assumed they tried unwinding or winding spring. They said the spring broke. Wonder why I can't just by a newer tube instead of having to by a complete awning.?
Old 07-17-2023, 05:41 AM   #6

SUN #7990
Sounds like they are trying to sell you a whole assembly so they can just bolt it on. If it just a broken spring, replacements are available, but the awning needs to be disassembled to replace. If your tube is straight buying a new tube won't solve the problem, the springs are not included. I replaced my tube because it was bent, had to move the springs/endcap parts to new tube. I think the only way to get the tube with the springs installed is a whole assembly. If you can replace the spring or find someone who will, it should be cheaper than a whole assembly, a quick look showed springs to be $120-200 each.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:59 PM   #7

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Really reaching here, without looking into options like JohnB mentioned in the other thread (which probably should be merged with this one).

If you know an old-school machinist who has [access to] the proper equipment, he could fabricate that spring for you, for way less than a whole new assembly. I did a number of those for various equipment a few lifetimes ago. Just a thought...
Old 07-18-2023, 08:23 AM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Gregory,

We may be able to help you with your awning, but we need more info on which exact awning vintage you have. Dometic changed the end caps on the 8500 series sunchaser awing several times from about the 2000 to the 2007 models.

There are some parts still available but we have to know which vintage you have to help better.

If the springs are all this is broken. Oddly I found a right hand spring only still for sale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/30399280974...06255b129ddb54

But I can’t tell you that will fit your awning for sure, until you can post pics of the end caps on both ends of the awing and the part number sticker on the awning tube that tells what awing you have. And you can confirm that it is only the spring that is broken. You will have to take the awing apart to see what is wrong. If the concern is this is too much to do for you, we understand, but then you are looking at your dealer to install a new one. Or find another repair place.

As to the dealers, many may not want to hunt all over to find just the one or two individual parts needed. It costs them time to do this hunting. They want the whole subassembly and it is easier and less labor to install. Finding an entire right end spring subassembly with a latch , spring and end cap assembly is really hard now with the parts shortage. They just may not want to deal with independent parts sellers as they can be held accountable and have to warrant their labor if the part and awning fails soon. They have to turn a profit, dealing with old campers costs a lot of time that they may not be able to charge for or the customer wants to pay.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:19 AM   #9

SUN #13765
64Econoline is an unknown quantity at this point
Don’t leave us hanging….

Hey Greg
How is your hunt for parts going?? I clicked on John’s link to eBay and a whole bunch of parts were available…
Keeping everyone updated helps us all .
I have a Keystone Sprinter and I just purchased a 1995 Sunline Soltice?.?? I believe, for my grandson as a base at the Motorcross track.
Both need awnings, and no matter what brand the trailer is, a lot of the awnings are the same. I’ll be doing mine shortly.
Keep us posted with your progress…Al