Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Truck Campers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-06-2021, 08:52 PM   #1

SUN #12746
jfkasper is an unknown quantity at this point
New member considering first TC

Hi all,
I currently own a class b but am considering switching to a camper truck. I like the idea of a self contained vehicle and am not interested in towing anything (yet). I think owning a TC would give me one more layer of flexibility.

I will be looking at my first TC tomorrow evening (7/7), a 1992 Sunline 1275.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/rvs...343088149.html

I've looked at a few TCs online over the years (always looking for next one) but have dismissed them due to their small size. However this one seems to check a lot of the boxes, as they say.

I'm not new to RVing but TCs is new territory for me. I can't find any info online for this model and very little on other Sunlines.

Any thoughts on this particular rig would be greatly appreciated.

- Any known issues?
- Anything specific to look for at tomorrow's inspection?
- The good, the bad, the ugly...
- Any direction where to look online for more info?
- Suggestions for other comparable models?
- Is the price about right or is this covid pricing?

- My biggest concern is its age.

I know this is short notice. I just saw the ad this afternoon.

Thanks!
John

PS - In addition, I've never owned a truck before ... that's another discussion.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi John,

Welcome! You may have seen the camper already, but I'll pass this along.

We have the original sales brochure on that camper in our files section. It has some good info, like empty weights of the camper in it.

If you know the year and model number, you can look up the camper specs from our Sunline brochures in the FILES section.

To get to the files section, you need to be logged into the forum. At the top of the forum are tabs, look for the word "FILES" click it.

Once into the files section, scroll down to the "Sunline Brochures". Go in there and find a sales brochure for the year camper you are looking at and down load a copy. All campers of that year are in one large brochure. Empty camper weights are shown as brochure "dry weight". Meaning no LP in the tanks of a truck camper. And if it had it's own battery hookup, then the battery weight would not be included either. Anything you add to the camper is above the dry weight.

The 92 brochure does not list a C-1275 like he is advertising. They do list a C-1270. And I looked in the 91 and 93 brochure, and they do not list a C-1275 either. But, Sunline did offer custom order and his might be one if he has documents to show the model is a C-1275. Custom ordered campers do not show up in the brochures. Or he had a typo.

The 92 C-1270 is listed as a dry weight of 2,795# and with 500 to 700# of gear added, that could be at 3,495 or 3500#. That lift system he has could eat into that 500 to 700#.

He stated the camper could work with a 3/4 ton truck, but the rear axle on many 3/4 ton newer trucks have a 6,000# axle rating and a 10,000# GVWR or less. My 2005 F350, CC, short bed, with a 11,000 GVWR has a 7,000# rated rear axle. For example, my F350 with 3/4 tank fuel, a truck liner and 2 adults in it, (6.8 V10 gas engine) weighs 4,460# frt axle and 3,240# rear axle = 7,700# GVW. My rear axle can handle 3,760# of cargo weight if is all lands on the rear axle. On GVWR, 11,000 - 7,700 = 3,300#, so while I have the rear axle rating, I need to watch the GVWR. Point I'm making, I'm not sure how that truck camper with 2 adults in the cab plus gear in the camper will work well on a 3/4 ton truck. If you want to stay under the ratings, you will have to pack the camper lightly on a 3/4 ton.

It appears he is selling his 2015 F350 also. Not sure if that truck interests you, but finding a decent used 1 ton SRW truck right now with Covid issue is not easy. And he declared it has the camper spring pack. Point: Check the truck axle and GVWR ratings on what ever truck you are using.

As to the camper, by the pics, that camper looks in good shape. He has taken care of it or a prior owner or both. The lift system is not from Sunline from what I know, and not sure of that cost. Yes, by the NADA RV guides for a 92 C-1270 his asking price is high, but he has a lot of extra stuff and the shape looks appealing. Covid I'm sure is in the mix here too. Everything RV is inflated. Parts, campers, everything just about.

As to is there anything wrong with the Sunline truck camper, I'm not close enough to truck campers to say there is. But, I know how Sunline built their campers, they used similar methods across the board from travel trailers, fifth wheels and truck campers. Sunlines are built better then the average camper on the market at the time and still today in many cases.

I will say this, and this goes for any used camper, and even new sometimes, water damage is the enemy of a camper. And water damage on a camper can be ongoing a good long time (years) before it ever shows up inside the living space. Campers are not built like houses and as such, they leak different then houses. Even is this truck camper was garaged when not camping, it still may have a leak when it was out camping. The owners may not even know it has a leak, and they may feel truthful that they have never seen a leak. But, that does not mean it is water damage free.

I'm not trying to scare you away, just educate here so you know eyes wide open going in, and you may be able to ask for a lower price, if you find evidence of trapped water in the walls, ceiling or floor. This does not mean you still may not have a good deal even with some minor damage that you can repair if you want to, and can do basic wood working. His may be the driest one you can find.

Here is a way to inspect the walls, ceiling and floor of the camper by scanning the inside wall, floor and ceiling with a pinless moisture meter. See here for more on this, https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...per-17613.html

If his camper is truly dry by the meter, you have found a gem. For $46 consider getting the meter, it can be a worthwhile investment for any camper you are looking at. If you want more help on the moisture meter, just ask.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

SUN #12746
jfkasper is an unknown quantity at this point
JohnB
My apologies for the delayed response. Thanks for all the great info and guidance. I did look at the TC. Luckily it was raining at the time and no moisture meter was needed. The overcab bunk window/emergency exit was leaking as we spoke. There was also water damage on one interior side wall of the bunk. Of coarse, either one of these is a deal breaker for me. Very nice truck though.

Not sure I'm quite ready to switch from my class b to a TC but when the time comes to buy I will definitely consider a TC.

Thanks again.
John