Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

SUN #3014
Camper G is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering a 1994 Saturn T/M 2160

Hello!

A few of you may remeber a prior post I made when I was considering a 1982 20' Sunline. I ended up passing on that one, but have located a pretty solid 1994 T-2160 (is that a Saturn or Solaris?) NADA lists it as a Saturn and calls it an "M2160) for some reason?

At any rate, the camper is really solid for it's age, everything works, except reportadly the A/C, which is not a big deal for me b/c I don't like summer camping.

It has ONE small area of water damage, on the front wall and the floor is just a bit soft (not terrible) in the left front storage compartment. All of the interior ceiling and wall panels are solid (I checked it over real good).

Any idea where the water is leaking in to the LF storage compartment from? I doubt its from the roof or the interior would show signs of it, it has to be from somewhere lower down, but I'm not sure where to look.

At any rate, my main question is that the current owner had the axles "flipped" becuase the road to his hunting camp was rutty and he didn't want to bottom it out. I would not need the extra clearance and would prefer a lower step-in height and profile so I would want to reverse the flip. It would appear the stock configuration would be SUA and it's currently SOA. What is involved in changing this back? I am mechnically inclined and could probably do the work myself.

Otherwise, the exterior striping and graphics are faded and I know they are no longer available or I would at least replace the Sunline logo on the front and back.

As I said in my prior posts, being a Berks County, PA native, I've always wanted a Sunline and for a 17 yr old rig, it seems pretty solid. I also like how it does not have a tub, but has a shower so that is much easier to get into.

Any thoughts or suggestions or things to look for on this 1994 T-2160 would be VERY much appreciated. What is the overall length of this rig, ball to bumper? Seems to be at least 24'?

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide or thoughts shared.

Sincerely,
Greg

Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Any idea where the water is leaking in to the LF storage compartment from? I doubt its from the roof or the interior would show signs of it, it has to be from somewhere lower down, but I'm not sure where to look.
Most likely suspect is the seals on the compartment door. At night (or in a dark garage) If you have compartment lights you can turn them on or put a light on in the compartment and look for leaks around the edge of the door.

I've replaced the seals twice on my '07.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Greg,

NADA uses a general model identifier "M-" in front of all models, regardless of the brand. In this case, they substituted the "T-"/trailer identifier that Sunline used (and the "F" and "C" too) for the "M-". The M thing is just for NADA. The model is officially the T-2160, and it would be a Saturn. The easiest way to tell for this one to be a Saturn or Solaris is the windows. If it has square corner windows, it's a Saturn. If it has radius corner, it's a Solaris. But for this particular model year, everything 1550-2251 was Saturn and then everything 2362/3 and up was a Solaris.

Being a Saturn, it does lack the radius windows, better furniture, tank monitors, and aluminum roofs, but that's about as far as the differences go. The radius windows don't have huge benefits other than most of the windows are a little bigger, but you don't have as much opening-pane square feet as you do with the square corners. A lot of times, one radius window would replace the space of two square windows, so you only would get a center opening area and two solid side panes with the radius. The tank monitors can also be added in without too much trouble, if you wanted them. The furniture, well, you could upgrade it if you were able to find another '94 Solaris with the same interior color to get the better sofa (unless it already has the jacknife sofa and chair option).

It isn't 24' long, it's 21'11". 3425 lbs dry (while I was there looking at the floorplan...)

Assuming the axle flip was done correctly and with the Dexter kit, flipping it back shouldn't be a too much of a problem. I'm drawing a blank right now on the parts in the kit, but I think there were new, longer u-bolts. You'd have to get new u-bolts (and new nuts while you're at it) that are the correct size, or else the threads would hang way down and could bottom out on the ground (for the longer, lift ones). Hopefully someone who has worked with this kit more recently can be of more help.

As for the leak issue, it could very well be the seal around the storage doors. The older storage doors seem like they were constructed much better than the newer ones, but the lips do get easily bent from taking stuff in and out, preventing a good seal. If that isn't it, then check the underbelly wrap around the front edge. If he's doing some serious off-roading with it, a stick may have come up and punctured the wrap, letting water in.

Overall, I'd say the '94 Sunlines are tanks. They seem to take abuse well and were pretty good quality wise. The aluminum roof on the Saturns is great because it won't deteriorate as quickly. However, the seams do need to be sealed on them, so you should plan on doing it soon if it hasn't been done.

Most '94 Sunline decals were pretty good quality and stay on the trailer very well, but the red almost always fades out. The red in the Sunline letters on the big Sunline logo and the red in the Saturn on the smaller model logos rarely stays in there. You could paint that in on top of the vinyl and have it look better. The side sun step ups fade a little (the suns were originally a yellow-orange sunset type thing, but you can't tell the fade is that bad unless you've seen an original. The striping is usually the best and while the red does fade some, it isn't hard to bring the striping back. Using some silicone tire shine and armor all over and over will help bring a shine back to it initially, but after a number of treatments, it will dull a little, but the color will look more vibrant than when you started.

Is this coach listed online somewhere?

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

SUN #3014
Camper G is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Hi Greg,

NADA uses a general model identifier "M-" in front of all models, regardless of the brand. In this case, they substituted the "T-"/trailer identifier that Sunline used (and the "F" and "C" too) for the "M-". The M thing is just for NADA. The model is officially the T-2160, and it would be a Saturn. The easiest way to tell for this one to be a Saturn or Solaris is the windows. If it has square corner windows, it's a Saturn. If it has radius corner, it's a Solaris. But for this particular model year, everything 1550-2251 was Saturn and then everything 2362/3 and up was a Solaris.

Being a Saturn, it does lack the radius windows, better furniture, tank monitors, and aluminum roofs, but that's about as far as the differences go. The radius windows don't have huge benefits other than most of the windows are a little bigger, but you don't have as much opening-pane square feet as you do with the square corners. A lot of times, one radius window would replace the space of two square windows, so you only would get a center opening area and two solid side panes with the radius. The tank monitors can also be added in without too much trouble, if you wanted them. The furniture, well, you could upgrade it if you were able to find another '94 Solaris with the same interior color to get the better sofa (unless it already has the jacknife sofa and chair option).

It isn't 24' long, it's 21'11". 3425 lbs dry (while I was there looking at the floorplan...)

Assuming the axle flip was done correctly and with the Dexter kit, flipping it back shouldn't be a too much of a problem. I'm drawing a blank right now on the parts in the kit, but I think there were new, longer u-bolts. You'd have to get new u-bolts (and new nuts while you're at it) that are the correct size, or else the threads would hang way down and could bottom out on the ground (for the longer, lift ones). Hopefully someone who has worked with this kit more recently can be of more help.

As for the leak issue, it could very well be the seal around the storage doors. The older storage doors seem like they were constructed much better than the newer ones, but the lips do get easily bent from taking stuff in and out, preventing a good seal. If that isn't it, then check the underbelly wrap around the front edge. If he's doing some serious off-roading with it, a stick may have come up and punctured the wrap, letting water in.

Overall, I'd say the '94 Sunlines are tanks. They seem to take abuse well and were pretty good quality wise. The aluminum roof on the Saturns is great because it won't deteriorate as quickly. However, the seams do need to be sealed on them, so you should plan on doing it soon if it hasn't been done.

Most '94 Sunline decals were pretty good quality and stay on the trailer very well, but the red almost always fades out. The red in the Sunline letters on the big Sunline logo and the red in the Saturn on the smaller model logos rarely stays in there. You could paint that in on top of the vinyl and have it look better. The side sun step ups fade a little (the suns were originally a yellow-orange sunset type thing, but you can't tell the fade is that bad unless you've seen an original. The striping is usually the best and while the red does fade some, it isn't hard to bring the striping back. Using some silicone tire shine and armor all over and over will help bring a shine back to it initially, but after a number of treatments, it will dull a little, but the color will look more vibrant than when you started.

Is this coach listed online somewhere?

Jon
Hi Jon,

Wow, you are a wealth of information, that is for sure, so it's 21'11" ball to bumper? Is that correct? or is that the size of the box?

It is listed online, but I don't want to say where right at the moment, I am sure you understand (obvious reasons) If you have an email address I can send you some photos.

I don't care about the radius windows and really, i thougth the interior was good quality, certinly better than the 1995 Boomer (skyline) rig I had last.

I appreicate all the information, I've got to give this some thought....I am interested though and am VERY close to pulling the trigger on it.

The NADA retial is 1935.00 is that a reasonable price to pay for this rig? I was thinking 2,000 was fair if the A/C is questionable and with the minor water damage.

I wish it had tank monitors, but can live without them (that is CHEAP of Sunline that they didn't make that standard.....IMO).

Thanks,
Greg
Old 10-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Greg,

Yes, 21'11" ball to bumper. All Sunline lengths are spec'd in overall and the box size is not listed anywhere. Some manufacturers use a box length and some use an overall- Sunline was an overall.

I'll send you a PM.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote