Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #1

SUN #11102
Gregorym is an unknown quantity at this point
Rv antenna.

Hi.
I have a 2000 Sunline Solaris and want to add a digital antenna on the roof. Can I take the old antenna off and use the same setup that is used by old antenna?.
Thanks
Gregory.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #2

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a definite maybe. It's going to depend on how similar the mounting hardware and antenna profile are--there's no way for us to know that from here. You also may need to extend the coaxial cable. The original antenna would have a preamplifier. Does the new one? If so, you'll need to make sure the 12V DC is the right polarity.

Pet peeve: There's no such thing as a digital antenna, despite marketing hype. They all work the same way, regardless of whether the signal is digital or analog.

Old 11-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #3

SUN #11102
Gregorym is an unknown quantity at this point
So I don't need to change the antenna? It will work for the new tv's?
Old 11-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If it is the same manufacturer it most likely will fit it should be pretty much plug and play. Because the antenna it's self has very little gain due to it's size they pretty much have to have pre amps. The pre amps get their power through the coax.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #5

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorym View Post
So I don't need to change the antenna? It will work for the new tv's?
The short answer is most likely it will work but it kind of needs to be spot on to the signal source so it may take a bit of twisting.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:37 PM   #6

SUN #10986
Yes, your existing antenna will work just fine in terms of the electronic principles involved. Performance may not be like new due to its age, but the difference normally wouldn't be all that great.

As mainah points out, even a brand new antenna isn't going to perform as well as one you might mount on your house due to size/form factor. With that in mind, I've considered getting a meter to help zero in on orientation, though I haven't done so yet.

Pay attention to the reviews, but something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Str...7457320&sr=8-3
Old 11-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
This may help, I have done both and both work well on a new digital TV..

If your roof antenna is the original Wingard Batwing, and the antenna still works, meaning the PC board in the roof head is bad, then you can help it bring in more stations. This is what my original 2004 Sunline antenna had would look like this

Then you do the Wingman add on. It makes a big difference and brings in a lot more channels.
https://winegard.com/industry/recrea...an-uhf-booster

Looks then like this

Amazon has them here
https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-W.../dp/B001U2DPUE

We are still using that one on our T310SR that we use all the time. Here are pics of the roof antenna system if this helps any. I had to change a few parts...long story but make sure it is down before going out a 12 ft tall door...
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...air-17639.html

Next option, I was helping a friend with their camper and the PC board on the roof antenna died. In this case, we changed out the entire head to a King Jack antenna and that changed the technology. This fits on the old Wineguard arms.
https://kingconnect.com/king-jack-ot...home-rv-mount/

We bought it here
https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8300-R...23620680&psc=1

Looks like this down

I added a UHMW pad on the bottom arm to help the touch point on the roof. I was not happy without some kind of pad to touch the roof as the original Wineguard roof pad would not worked out right. We just put a new roof on.

Here is the head cranked part way up. It would hit the overhead door where the camper/camera was. Sorry no full up pics but it will go all the way up when your outside.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:43 AM   #8

SUN #2097
For awhile Winegard made a flat panel antenna I actually have one. I would say it is marginally better then the bat wing I think they were a hard sell because it was very obvious. It had a few good points one being it only used one arm and it was very light it also folded dead flat on the roof.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #9

SUN #2097
[QUOTE=Tinstaafl;156794]Yes, your existing antenna will work just fine in terms of the electronic principles involved. Performance may not be like new due to its age, but the difference normally wouldn't be all that great.

As mainah points out, even a brand new antenna isn't going to perform as well as one you might mount on your house due to size/form factor. With that in mind, I've considered getting a meter to help zero in on orientation, though I haven't done so yet.

Be careful injecting DC into that meter thru the coax make sure that meter will except it.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #10

SUN #10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Be careful injecting DC into that meter thru the coax make sure that meter will except it.
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I specifically said to pay attention to the reviews.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #11

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
With that in mind, I've considered getting a meter to help zero in on orientation, though I haven't done so yet.

Pay attention to the reviews, but something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Str...7457320&sr=8-3
I have one of those and it works but not well when signals are weak. In other words, when you need it most. I more often use my "redneck signal finder."
Years ago, I hooked my FM radio to the TV antenna to take advantage of the boost. Since TV and radio stations tend to broadcast from the same areas, I use the FM signal to position the antenna by listening to the increase and decrease of "static." What's best for the radio is always what's best for the TV, in my experience.
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #12

SUN #6147
drayweb is an unknown quantity at this point
I tried an amplified antenna but couldn't get it to work so I just stayed with the antenna that was on my 1986 Sunline Saturn. It works fine with my digital tv when I'm within 30 miles of the towers in my area, I can't get anything when I'm at the lake which is 65 miles away.