Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-13-2020, 12:53 PM   #1

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace the AC in T 1850

I need to Replace the AC in my T 1850. Do any of you folks have a source for the AC the whole unit, the cap and the compressor and everything

Old 09-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Kit,

I "believe" yours is a "ductless" air AC unit. Meaning all the cold air blows out in the camper from the ceiling shroud below the roof unit.

Need to ask what else you will be needing. The AC units have 2 major parts.

Roof unit: This is the complete AC unit that is mounted above the roof line. Compressor, fan, big bottom pan and shroud over the unit. There is a cable with a white plug on it that connects to the ceiling mounted controls.

This pic shows the complete "roof unit"

Air box: (ductless) This is the complete control system and air intake and air exhaust system mounted in the 14 x 14" hole in the camper ceiling. The air box is mounted on the ceiling just below the roof unit. There are air ducts that direct the camper air intake and exhaust to the roof unit. All the controls to turn the AC on and off are part of the air box unit.

Thess pic shows the ductless air box unit and what all comes with this part.

Now to some questions:

1. Please confirm the model, serial number and BTU rating of your old roof unit. There is a sticker with all that info on the bottom of the unit that went over the 14 x 14 hole in the roof.

You can buy the entire roof unit as a stand alone part. It comes all put together and with a new roof gasket installed on it.

2. Now that you know about the air box, did any parts inside the airbox get broken or need to be replaced? You can buy the entire new air box setup if it is damaged enough. If there are only pieces that are broke, it make be cheaper to just get the broken parts, depending on what is broke. Please post the model and serial number of the air box unit. I forget where the tag is on the ductless units. I think maybe on the control box.

I will say this, the vintage of the roof unit (Brisk air) you have is no longer available. But the Brisk Air II (newest system from Dometic) will fit and work as a replacement unit. I just need to check that the roof unit still uses the same 9 pin white connector to hook up to your old air box control. They do offer new controls now over the older thermal tube switch system that your older one uses. Odds are high to get all new controls you may have to buy the whole air box setup.

Will look into this when we get the old model numbers and what your air box needs are.

Hope this helps

John

PS, there a several places to buy new roof units from. The last 2 Dometic commercial roof units I bought, Camping World had them on special and beat anyone else could find. That is not always the case.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #3

SUN #4081
Hi john, I see damage to the roof unit only. Fan bent, pressing one blade against the metal pan, will upload photos.. the air box is in good shape, I took it down and photographed the innards before removing it as I was in search of the leak, and photos will help me reassemble. The roof unit took a hit from the tree, and i was able to lift it up slightly since Disconnecting it from air box There was a gash in roof where the metal pan hit the roof, I patched it with perma bond tape. I am unable to reach the other 3 sides of the roof unit, until I get some help to lift it up and off. I’m cautious of weight on the damaged rafters.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #4

SUN #4081

I plan to make a better photo and post it
Old 09-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #5

SUN #4081
Old 09-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #6

SUN #4081
Truth be told, I have only used the AC twice in 8 years. So I’m tempted to install dome instead of new AC in roof. I boondocks most of the time ��
Old 09-13-2020, 09:37 PM   #7

SUN #4081
And if I can schmooze the insurance agent into a partial settlement, instead of total loss settlement, Maybe they will buy me a new AC. Hence, hoping to avoid the “salvage” situation.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Kit,

Good news and news.... Here goes. I tried to call Dometic direct today and that was a no go. It appears they changed their customer service call in system. The public can no longer call them, you have to have dealer number. They appear to accept email questions though. This is something new as I was able to talk to customer support last January. Here is the email for retail support https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/contact-us

I called PPL Motorhomes in TX who I have bought Dometic parts from before and they can call Dometic being they have a dealer and can get tech questions answered on the parts they sell. They are very helpful that way.

First off, your older Dometic or any other Sunline up to the 2007 models, which had the Brisk Air AC units, have been replaced with the Brisk Air II. They redesign it and it will replace the older Brisk Air systems. This happened a few years back.

Here is the situation. As of last year, Dometic has discontinued making the redesigned Brisk Air II 11,000 BTU roof unit like yours and any other Sunline that had one. They now only offer the 13,500 BTU and the 15,000 BTU units. The 13,500 would still work and fit in your camper, it will just run less to cool the camper down. The 15K unit I feel is too big even though it will fit.

Here is the Brisk Air II 13,500 BTU roof unit, white color shroud. It comes with a new roof gasket on it. Model B57915.XX1C0
At Dometic's site https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...specifications

At PPL Motorhome's part site https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...tioners_B57915 The roof unit is in stock

Now the next problem, your older air box will not line up with the air intake and exhaust holes on the new Brisk Air II roof unit. This means you need to get a new Air Box with the controls. The mounting bolts come with the air box. Dometic no. 3314851.000

On the Dometic site https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...on-box-_-49998

On the PPL site, https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...ls_3314851.000

PPL is out of them right now, they sold out last week. Seems with Covid, there is a rush on fixing up old campers. They could have them back in stock in a few weeks.

Freight, the roof AC units ship truck freight. This could be a $100 to $150 adder pending on where it ships too. For PPL it will come out of Huston TX.

I picked PPL as I can talk to them and get tech questions answered. Their prices go on sale and many times beat out many others. You can shop around if wanted, Camping World has them on sale now, but they are a little higher on prices. Not sure on the freight. Amazon has them, I am cautious on buying a unit that big from them due to the shipping. Dyers RV out of Phoenix AZ has them, but they are out of stock right now. Their price is higher but free freight, https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-...pper-unit.html

The 14" x 14" hole in the roof is the same for the older Brisk Air or the new Brisk Air II.

You stated you thought about maybe not replacing the AC unit. Well, that 14 x 14" hole will accept a 12 volt Max Air roof fan if you want it. Or a 14 x 14" crank up roof vent.

Hope all comes out well with the insurance guy.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #9

SUN #4081
Thanks so much for all this information. I opted to install, for now, and for the drive home to Colorado, a roof vent and fan.

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/m...icture6708.jpg
Old 02-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #10

SUN #4081
and John here I am in Zion national Park in my camper six months after fixing the camper from the inside out I still have to replace broken rafters but I am able to tow it and enjoy some time in it. The insurance company totaled it and my take of it was $2700 and my plates will expire next month so we’ll see how the salvage title goes in Colorado

Tags
air conditioner