Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #1

SUN #11969
macsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1985 Anniversary TT Confusion

I recently acquired a 20th Anniversary Edition Sunline TT purchased by a friend 6 years ago. My friend thought he was purchasing a 1984 19' (this is how the sale was listed). Based solely on the info he was given (he never actually measured the trailer), he determined it was an M1950 and registered it as such. His most recent MA registration says 1984 weighing 3000#.

When I physically measured from the tongue to the back of the back bumper it is 21.5", which puts it in the 2100 series. Based on research I believe it is either a 2101 or a 2102. Hard telling because the rear bedroom area has been completely remodeled at least twice. It now sports an RV Queen with custom storage.

VIN# 1LC2S1J23FD211546

I want to register the trailer but am confused about what, exactly, I have. It has the 20th Anniversary decal, so that makes it 1985 (even if it was built in 1984, right?) with an actual GVWR of 2910# per the Sunline brochure I downloaded from the files section of this forum (thank you very much

So, can someone tell me more about what I have AND does anyone know... in the state of MA, the previous registration says 1984 3000# - when I register it, will I have problems registering it as a 1985 with a weight of 2910#?

Also, when my friend bought it he was told the electric brakes hadn't been used "in years" though there is wiring for them and I have brake control wiring in my TV. Any estimates on how much new electric brakes and bearings will set me back?

Thanks in advance for ANY help you can give me. I can provide pics, if needed.

Happy traveling,
M

Old 08-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome macsmith!

Congrats on your new Sunny!

I am not the guru of the older Sunlines, but this much I can help with

Your VIN states this

- Model year, 1985 (can have a mfg date/built from mid 1984 to mid 1985.)

- The camper has 2 axles

- It comes out as 21 ft - ball coupler to rear bumper.

- But it lists it can be between 20 to 21' in length. Not sure how the VIN deals with less then 1 ft lengths. Rounds closest or rounds up?

The VIN does not declare a model number/floor plan. And without that, we cannot back into what the GVWR is to help on the registration without more info.

If you want us to check and help show what model is may be, please post a pic of all 4 sides (outside) of the camper looking straight onto it. We then back into those features, decals, etc from the brochures what it can be. It sounds like you make have done this, but we can help check for you.

In your case, if the bed room area has been totally redone, that creates a wrinkle if they painted the wall board or changed the wall board where we could of backed into what use to be mounted there. If there are inside pics, we may be able to help sort this out too.

In 1985 model year, there are 4 models that are 21' 5", the 2100 to the 2104. The front part of the camper is close if not the same, all the changes seem to show up in the back bedroom area.

While the T1950 "looks" like a T21XX, the overall length is very different. It is hard to miss a T1950 which is approx 19' 3" to a T21XX that is 21' 5".

I can see how they goofed on the year as they may have used 1984 the mfg year in place of the 1985 model year.

The floor plan, well all I can say is they may have backed into that from a brochure and guessed wrong, that changes the length.

As to the weight, if they registered it at 3,000#, that may be a rounded up situation. The T1950 has a GVWR of 2,706 and the T210XX's seems to have 2,965 ish GVWR pending which you picked. In some states, registering more weight then the GVWR is not an issue. It means you may pay a little more, if there the any price difference at all, but it becomes the registered weight that if the highway patrol ever puts it on the scale, and you are over the registered weight, then you are over weight. This is a state by state thing. Some light trucks, in some states, on purpose register more weight then the GVWR just to stay out of being declared as over registered weight by a highway patrol.

I'm not sure what to tell you how to fix this in your state. I myself have had 2 campers I bought used that where titled wrong with the wrong model name/number before on the old title. I told the title office it was wrong and if they could fix it when I titled it under my name in Ohio. In this case, I bought them from PA and titled it in OH. It was no issue for Ohio to fix that model goof. They want to make darn sure the VIN matched on the old title to a tag on the camper which they inspected personally. They are looking for stolen trailers by VIN, more then the model was goofed.

Ask your title office what you found and how to fix it. I myself would try to get the title correct at least on the year, model and VIN for sure. If the title registered weight GVWR is heavier then the real brochure listing, that I'm not as concerned about, again from my perspective. If you can get the weight fixed too, then do it, just make sure you know which it is supposed to be as it would be less registered then ever before.

When you go to add the camper on your insurance policy, they will want the brand, VIN, model, a model series name and the length. As they look that up in a book to declare the value. They never asked me before what a GVWR weight was. It could be, their little book had all that off the model.

On the brakes, you really want to have the brakes working. That trailer is too heavy to not have any brakes in most all US states. We can help you sort out the brakes, that is a post in itself but we are going to need a brand and or at least pics of what you have. You might be lucky and the brake plates are bolted to the axle tube. That means you can put an all new brake plates, shoes etc more easily. If the brake plate is welded on, it gets more complex pending what parts you need. Some of the older axle companies went out of business. But, all can be fixed and totally replaced to save the camper, the cost comes down to, what do you need?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #3

SUN #11969
macsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi John,

Thanks so much for your quick and thorough reply!

Based on the info in the sunline brochure and interior pics from the previous owner after the first remodel, I am 99% sure it is a 2101. I'll ask my insurance agent about the changes needed for registration based on this new information.

Today I was given the name of a guy in the next town over who works on travel trailers so will give him a call about the brakes.

Thanks again!
mac
Old 08-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Your welcome Mac,

Hope your titling and registration gets sorted out without too much issue. Please post back how you make out. This topic comes up often and all cases are a little different due to state and local differences. We too, learn from what you can help share back.

If you need help on the camper, this is the place for Sunline info. Just ask. Also post some pics some time of your Sunline adventures. We always like seeing Sunny's in action!

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #5

SUN #2685
Willaim 1953 is an unknown quantity at this point
In Massachusetts, register it as a camper, registering as a trailer is utility
Trailers . Its about 60 dollars wight doesn't matter
Old 08-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mac,

Determining the original floorplan is difficult even for me. The 2100 and 2101 are actually most similar without the furniture in them, since the windows are the same. Do you have two individual windows on the back wall and two stacked windows on the off-door-side wall? If not, then it probably didn't have the lounge and bunks of the 2102.

The 2100 with the two rear lounges had a storage compartment door on the back wall, curb/entry door side of the trailer so that you could store stuff under that rear lounge easily. The 2101 with the chair didn't have this compartment door.

Hopefully that helps identify.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1985, 2100, anniversary, vin