Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #1

SUN #115
emam
Insulating the Cord Storage Compartment

On our 2499TT The cord storage compartment is a concern for me. Camping all last winter in some below zero temperatures, we used to fight over who had to sit on the couch. There always felt like a cold draft was blowing across your feet.

I was working on the compartment under the couch and figured out why that draft blows so cold.

That compartment that holds the cord, is basically open to the outside and allows cold air to flow freely into the coach. No wonder why my feet were always numb!!

So I cut a few pieces of insulation board and glued them around the compartment. I also made a piece that fits along the top of this little compartment that I stapled to the board that covers the heater and water heater. While I had the insulation board out, I cut a few pieces to fit the back of the kick board under the couch so any cool air that might get into this compartment might be trapped under there rather then allowed to circulate freely around the floor of the coach.

This only took a few minutes, and a 4'x8' sheet only costs around $15. I'll let you know once the temperatures drop whether this helped or not. But something tells me it might stop the drafts.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat,

Nice job, that should help.

If you still get cold air through, another option you could try would be to convert your power cord from an attached cord to a detachable cord.

This way you would have a sealed, water tight power connection instead of the hole.

They sell conversion kits that you can convert your attached cord to a detachable cord, using the same cord.

The down side is it’s more expensive than what you did, you lose the cord storage area and you would have a separate power cord to put some place.

Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #3

SUN #115
emam
I never thought of that!! I still might do that, because we're looking into having one of the line conditioners installed in under the couch compartment.

After reading so many posts on Pro's of the line conditioners and Heavy-Duty Surge Protectors, I'd rather have the security of knowing we're covered then having a surge knock out our system. For only a few hundred dollars, I think it'd pay for itself in one big Surge.

Once I noticed how much extra space is under the couch, I figured it'd be better to have one hard wired in, then have to worry about storing it and hooking it up everytime we plug in. If we install one, then maybe we will add the conversion kit and do away with the storage compartment all together.

Great Idea Hutch, thanks for the suggestion.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 07-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Pat

I know this is not very high tech, but this is what I have been using until I find time to make a better set up.

A shore cord baggie…. The price is right. It slows down the cold drafts and I use it mainly to keep buzzing critters out of that hole. You can choose the baggie of your choice…

You will also notice a 2nd heavy cord coming out of that hole too. In the winter if I need to run 2 electric heaters I run in a separate 20 amp feed just for the 2nd heater. I stuff the cord recptacle up on the Luann board behind the couch from out side then go inside and pull it into the camper.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #5

SUN #115
emam
John, maybe you should market that bag trick

I was also thinking if I ever stored the Sunline I would probably just run a 20 amp extension cord in for a heater or dehumidifier. That might be a good idea for all of you that store you coach during the winter months but havent installed a 30 amp dedicated service.

Great thinking

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com