Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #1

SUN #57
Richard
bike rack

has anyone added a bike rack to their trailer? any problem?
I would like to add a rack and carry one bike in addition to the spare tire. good idea or not?

Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #2

SUN #58
gracee
When we bought our used 1992 Sunline T-1550 it had a bike rack on the bumper and we were excited to use it. But then we saw on the Sunline site they say it is not recommended, so we took it off. Here is what the Sunline says:

Can I put a bike rack on my bumper?

Your bumper is rated for 100 lbs. We recommend that a spare tire with mounting bracket is all that you put on the bumper. To allow for an additional 100 lbs, Sunline offers a weight distributing receiver designed for bike racks. Mounting a bike rack to only the bumper will void your warranty. Please note that putting too much weight on the rear of any travel trailer can cause sway and compromise the tow-ability of the trailer.

What have others experienced? I sure would like to use it, now it just sits in the garage.

Grace

Old 09-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #3

SUN #8
camp4fun
I put a bike rack on my sunline and had not have a problem. The rack is lightweight and so are the 2 bikes. I just think you want to use common sense and not overload the back end of the trailer. Otherwise, I have seen bike racks that go over the hitch, that would be an option.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #4

SUN #73
VT_Camper
I had a pop-up and had a biek rack that put the bikes right on top of the camper when it was closed. Very handy. I am now looking for a travel trailer and will have to get a bike rack. Do they make any for the top of travel trailers? I don't think I have seen any on the road. Usually on the bumper, but just curious.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #5

SUN #115
emam
I dont know if I would want to put the bikes on top of the TT. That is really going to be a lift getting them up there and think about if one of the pedals smacks the window! IT's one thing on a Pop-up, but another on a TT.

We had a receiver hitch added to the back of ours at the dealership (General RV in MI) so I could haul our Dual-Sport motorcycle and one of those universal racks so the cooler and generator could all fit back there and out of the way. Although it was sort of expensive, they said it should be rated to hold around 400lbs! and now at least it's under warranty if anything happens. I'd rather have the bikes on top of the TV, that way if we want to go for a short drive or a day trip, they can go with us and it's alot shorter of a lift difference.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote