Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #1

SUN #590
Irishcamper
Bike rack

Since we got the new or newer 195SR, Sue doesn't want our bikes going in the unit. Which I can see why, but I haven't found anything yet to bring them along with us. I have viewed many different bike racks on line but don't know what the best might be.

I liked the one that attaches to the bumper of your camper. Anybody know what I'm taking about, and or possibly know where I can pick one up rather than ordering it on line? Thanks.

Dave & Sue
Northumberland, PA

Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Only problem with the Camper Bumper is it is rated for 100lbs. and if you have a bumper mounted spare, that is just about shot. I have seen where people have had a 2" receiver added to the rear frame of the trailer and used a 2" mount bike carrier in it.

There have been several threads on Sunline Club about bike carriers if you haven't seen them. JohnB made a neat carrier for over the propane tanks on the trailer a-frame and Hutch made a carrier that went over the bed rails of his pickup without losing the cargo bed.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...highlight=bike

Good Luck, so far I've been able to get away with hauling them in the truck bed.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...riers&start=15

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
100 pounds

Is the rear bumper only rated for 100 pounds because of the strength of the bumper or to maintain the balance of the trailer?

On our motor home we have a bike rack that mounts on the ladder going to the roof. Not many trailers have a ladder to the roof though I have noticed at least one on this site. I will say our ladder bike rack works well.

Thank you,

Norm Milliard
Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
This was in one of the many Bike rack threads on Sunlineclub:

Quote:
But then we saw on the Sunline site they say it is not recommended, so we took it off. Here is what the Sunline says:

Can I put a bike rack on my bumper?

Your bumper is rated for 100 lbs. We recommend that a spare tire with mounting bracket is all that you put on the bumper. To allow for an additional 100 lbs, Sunline offers a weight distributing receiver designed for bike racks. Mounting a bike rack to only the bumper will void your warranty. Please note that putting too much weight on the rear of any travel trailer can cause sway and compromise the tow-ability of the trailer.
Sounds like, both problems (strength and balance) apply.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #5

SUN #21
donreitz
We carry two bikes (well under the 100 pound limit) on a bumper rack purchased online from PPL Motorhomes. Works fine. Keep in mind that the bikes will get seriously shaken up on the back of a camper. Any parts of the bikes that can rub together and cause damage will do so. That's also true for any contact between the bikes and the camper.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
If your Sunline rear bumper is made like this, I would express caution and more investigation if your rear bumper looks like these. Both my T2499 and T310SR are made like this.

That little thin 1/16” thick plate was made on purpose to bend. Sunline made the bumper like that so if you tried to grossly add too much back there the thing would literally bend backwards.

If you have a 2 bike top hanging rack attached to the standard Sunline bumper like in these pics, that 6 foot lever can twist the bumper with one bad pot hole bump. I can go into more on my neagative experince years ago if needed.

Ideally if you are going on the back, last resort, add a 2” receiver to the TT frame totally independent of the bumper and use a bike rack that holds the bikes by the tires. (less long lever effect) Also weigh your tongue weight before and after. Dropping below 13% tongue weight per loaded TT GVW can affect sway pending a number of other things.

Good luck.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote