Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Sunline Owners Club FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #1

SUN #11913
Troy.d.w. is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the add

Greetigs fellow sunline owners, names Troy. I have a 1992 saturn that I've had for 4 years and love the lady to death.

Unfortunately the previous owner didnt quite understand things needed to be caulked over time and I have, just earlier today ripped the front wall out, bench seats and table and most of the front floor including the I'm assuming 2x3 floor joists.

I have a job offer in NC and need to be road ready within two weeks and I've never reframed a trailer before. However I am extremely experienced in the trades so i am sure i can figure most of this out but I figured why not as here. What lumber will be acceptable to replace the joists with? 2x4s I'm hoping. Along with the walls are just for strips? How do they attach to the outer metal other than some construction adhesive and a prayer ?

Also going to go with a thin snap lock floor system over a small layer of insulation/ protection sheeting.

I'll shoot some pictures of the inside tomorrow to show progress.

Thanks again.

Troy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200307_130850.jpg (82.2 KB, 9 views)

Old 05-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #2

SUN #11851
Robborn is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the group Troy.
I have a 1976 Sunline 17 1/2’ that I am renovating. I have found that 2x4’s work remarkably well and create a much sturdier frame.

Run with it brother!!!

Old 05-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Troy,

As far a what type of lumber, SPF lumber (Spruce,Pine,Fir) is what Sunline used to build the camper. As to the size and dimensions, this depends on the vintage of the camper. You can saw/rip 2 x what ever size you need from larger widths to match what was in the camper.

As to the walls and siding, the siding is stapled to the wall studs on the outside. Your 92 camper I am not sure is Sunline went to the 1" wide x 1 1/2" thick walls. The early campers has 1" to 1 1/2" wide by 3/4" thick wall studs.

When you have wall front wall rot, normally the repair is started taking the siding off first, start from the bottom and work your way up. This will exposed the rotted wall studs and then you decide if the wall board is gone and take that out. When you rebuild, the new walls studs are in place, then staple the siding back on.

We have various threads on rebuilding these. Here are a few.

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...2-a-18706.html

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...avy-17684.html

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...avy-16834.html

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...air-17458.html

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ris-16666.html

Ask away any questions.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #4

SUN #1342
cnash1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi troy,

I embarked on a rebuild mission that was very similar myself around 10 years ago. Rebuilt nearly entire front end. I ended up using marine grade plywood on the floor, just in case there was ever anymore leaks. the framing on mine was that 1 1/2" x 3/4" stuff mentioned above. I only removed/replaced the sections I needed to and used L brackets to connect them back together. They formerly had long staples. I also used 3/4 foam sheet insilation to stuff back in rather than the old fiberglass. I was a apin but it is all still holding up today. Mine is a 1987 T2251 and we still use and love it. Good luck!
TV: 2008 Chrysler Aspen
cnash1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #5

SUN #11913
Troy.d.w. is an unknown quantity at this point
Work at a stand still

With the weather here in michigan being a brat I've stopped work until its nicer. However this is as far as I've gotten.

Taking the advice from John, I will be removing the front once all the floor over is removed to rebuild this sweetheart. As far as decals go, do we have a source for them ? Is it possible to back tape and epoxy paint them to look like new ?

Thanks

Troy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200523_210242.jpg (59.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #6

SUN #1342
cnash1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks all too familiar. I also bought the white colored wood paneling from Lowes to put on the walls once they were reconstructed and a remnant of linoleum for the floor. As far as the exterior, I have been using some rattle cans to work on mine. Taped off some of the stripes and repainted. I used a rubber buffing wheel to remove as much of the old stickers as possible first. Also re-coated most of the tan color on the front face side of mine as well as rehabbing the old window rock guard. Use some textured paint for that, slightly darker tan color.
TV: 2008 Chrysler Aspen
cnash1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #7

SUN #8308
hotrod1965 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi in search of a complete rear window assembly for my sunline camper outside measurements 73 1/4 wide × 19 7/8 High if anyone knows where I could possibly find one please let me know thanks John
Old 08-31-2020, 09:28 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1965 View Post
Hi in search of a complete rear window assembly for my sunline camper outside measurements 73 1/4 wide × 19 7/8 High if anyone knows where I could possibly find one please let me know thanks John
Hi,

Trying to help, but we need some more info to help better. A few things needed.

- Can you post a picture of the old window if it is still available, and if it is not, then take a pic of a good window in your camper. That can help tell us the brand/style window you are looking for. Some screw in at the outside, some are held in by a compression flange inside, some have round corners, some have square corners.

- What year and model camper do you have? Sunline changed window brands and styles over the years.

- Do you want the window to open with a screen or be a fixed piece of glass?

- The windows are made to fit the rough opening in the camper. Can you tell us the rough opening? Meaning the size of the wood opening. You may end up with a different brand and style, so you need to know the rough opening size as the outside may be very different.

That said, depending on what you need, Ebay has some, there are surplus places that have some and there are places that will make an all new window to fit your rough opening. There are also places that may be able to fix you old one depending on what is wrong with it.

Hope this helps

John

Old 09-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #9

SUN #8308
hotrod1965 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi my camper is a 1984 sunline satellite T2462 the rear window has square corners and I would appreciate any help in locating the rear window or the parts to repair it if you could send me your email address to johnmiele69@gmail.com I would send you pics of the window thanks john
Old 09-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1965 View Post
Hi my camper is a 1984 sunline satellite T2462 the rear window has square corners and I would appreciate any help in locating the rear window or the parts to repair it.
Hi,

Your square corner window sounds like the older Hehr windows I believe they were anyway. Pelland Enterprises does sell parts for Hehr windows and all new windows. These folks https://www.pellandent.com/ You mayu need to call them, but they will need pictures and the rough opening of the window frame in the camper wall. That is how windows are measured by, the rough opening in the camper.

I looked quick and did not see the square corner Hehr windows. It maybe that are not that popular anymore as the radius corner ones are more common.

I will contact you to help on the pics. If you want, this is how to upload pics to our site in a photo album or how to attach pics to a post. See here

How to add pics to a post
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post86041

How to add pics to your photo album here on the forum.
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post87945

Once we can see what you have and what you need to repair/replace, there are more options to buy something beyond the Pelland lead.

Hope this helps

John

Tags
1992, michigan, new guy, rebuild