Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

SUN #9262
Bk475442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Subaru Forester towing 15 SC

I bought this last March, and discovered major water damage throughout. A “friend” contractor picked it up last July to do a total rebuild.Gave him $1000 to cover the first phase of rebuild.I had everything ripped out when he took it except cabinets around the appliances.I had purchased all the supplies, fasteners, tape, fans, running lights, wiring, new battery, etc. etc.He was going to build custom cabinets, and tongue in groove ceiling.

Finally he started on it a few weeks ago, but now wants another $1000, just to finish interior framing. At this point I just want to get it back from him and figure out how to finish with someone else.He has the heater and refrigerator out.

BUT . . . I have a Subaru Forester 2014. GVWR – 4480 lbs
GAWR – front – 2310
GAWR – rear – 2410

I think I have the 15SC. 1979.It showsAxle – 1595
GAWR – 2340
Hitch 150

Do I need a bigger vehicle to just to bring it home? Am I right at the weight limit?I understand when it is finished, appliances put back in, and packed ready to camp, I will probably need a bigger tow vehicle.But I just want to get it home.

Any information on how much the heater and refrigerator weigh?

Would love to keep my vehicle, but don’t want to upgrade until I know the finished weight of trailer.

Would love to post current pictures of what's been done, but he won't provide those to me. GRRR. . . this party has ended. . .

I am going to see it this Friday, and want to take it home. When he pulled it in July, it pulled like a dream (he said and I saw). I have a hitch and 4 pin wire harness.

Thanks!!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Bummer on your camper fix situation. I'm sure once he had it apart he could see all the work involved and then knew the amount of hours he quoted was way off.

I will try and help on your towing issue.

To get much closer, we need more info on what you have, but in this case I do not think it will help that much.

I tried to find out something about your SUV in regards to towing.

I fund this https://www.edmunds.com/subaru/fores...eatures-specs/ which states a max trailer of 1,500#.

I do not really trust those sites as I want to find it from the actual manufacture. It seems Subaru does not give you an entire manual on line in PDF, they give you sections of the whole manual.
https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicl...e=2014-FOR-EFJ

I looked and cannot find a towing section or anything related to towing in the few I downloaded. You may have more luck in the real manual. But it may say the same thing. 1,500# max. and I'm sure they are thinking a standard small utility trailer, not a large surface area travel trailer.

Here are some of the issues. These small vehicles are limited in what they can tow by both weight of the trailer loading down the vehicle and in this case, the amount of added weight the brakes on the SUV are rated to stop. You have no brake controller setup on your 4 wire flat plug.

The camper brochure weight declared it as 1,745# empty. (1,595# axle plus the 150# tongue) Granted some things are taken out but again any of the numbers are more than the rating of your vehicle. Towing a wide and tall camper eats up tow rating without the weight factor due to wind resistance.

To try and be helpful, your nice little SUV is really not a good match and the risk is high being out on the road trying to do this. There are too many things not right about trying to tow that camper with your SUV.

Do you have a friend with something bigger who has towed trailers of some kind before that can help you tow it back? Or rent a 1/2 ton pickup truck that will allow towing of a unbraked trailer which may limit it to a 2,000# trailer. But that is OK as the 2,000# limit and the mass of the truck is so much more than what you have.

A rental may not cost that much for a 1 day or 1/2 day rental. For sure, get the full insurance option if you do. Hopefully you have a friend who can help. You will also need go get a tow ball and drawbar to go with the truck.

Sorry I cannot be more help on this. Just trying to be a good camper friend and let you know what you are against and help not get you into a not good situation out on the road.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #3

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
Another option is to go on a local FB site and hire someone to haul the camper, using their vehicle.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #4

SUN #9262
Bk475442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you so much, that is what I needed. I couldnt figure it out
Can finally put that idea to bed!! Makes sense, I was trying to squeeze those numbers!!

Yes have 3 camper friends that can tow for me, but I like the idea with full insurance for a 1/2 ton rental. I am in the market for one, might as well test tow a few.

I think you have written before to buy the biggest truck you can afford, starting the hunt.

Many many details to pay attention too, all seem to be extremely important as far as safety.

Really appreciate the help

And yes, my friend thought he was going to whip through it and found out he underbid the whole thing
My only beef was he let it sit for 9 months, not that it will cost more in the end.

TY!!

Tags
tow weight