Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

SUN #9529
Barisad is an unknown quantity at this point
Horizontal Propane tanks?

Have you checked the date(s) on your propane tanks? Their life expectancy is 12 years. Ours are dated 01/2006 which means they will either need to be replaced or re-certified 01/2018 to be refilled.

Before you take your original tanks in to be filled, please check the dates.

You might consider having them topped off before they expire!

Old 11-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Yes, most of the Sunline campers are now out of date on the LP tanks and need a rectification. Here in Ohio, (may be in other states too) they changed the 1st re-certification from 12 years to 10 years. This technically overrules what the tank has the 12 years stamped on it.

After the 1st re-certification, then it is every 5 years to get re-certification again.

I took 8 of my tanks in this spring to get recertified.... I have a collection of them, 20# BBQ grill, 30# camper, 5# LP bottles etc. They did all 8 of them for me and explained the new rules. I was past due as most where from 2004 and I was going beyond the 12 years, they did not say much about that, they did their inspection and only charged me $4.00 a tank. This was my home 500 gallon tank local LP supplier.

The places that fill the portable tanks are the ones who are supposed to check before refilling the tank. In the past they had not, but now they do and left and right they have been turning folks away to get re-certified, do a tank exchange or buy new tanks. It seems the headquarters dept is cracking down on this.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use exchanged refilled tanks. Keeps me up to date with tanks and fresh valves as well. Just eyeball the tanks when picking them up.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:00 AM   #4

SUN #9529
We hadn't check the price for re-certification yet. But I did check the cost to replace the horizontal tanks, ouch! I’ll definitely check around for prices on re-certification before buying new. One of the features I really liked about the Que, no visible propane tanks. I don’t think using the exchange tanks is an option since our tanks are horizontal?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #5

SUN #6579
Relie is an unknown quantity at this point
Propane tanks

I got caught up in that 12 year thing this past summer, twice. Yup, $150 worth of brand new tanks. Oh well, at least I'm all legal for as long as I plan to have my camper. Lol

Dave
Old 11-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #6

SUN #9529
Rather be safe than sorry?

I do think we’ll be looking into re-certification since new are about $156. each.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If it's a horizontal tank they are exempt (I believe it had a lot to do with the wall thickness). Lot of confusion here there was a date cut off as to valve replacement I kind of remember it was the location of the valve the early ones had the valve in the middle the newer ones at the top. They ruled the older ones that did not have an overfill system did not have to be replaced because no valve was available. All of the vertical tanks have to be recertified.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

SUN #6579
Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barisad View Post
Rather be safe than sorry?

I do think we’ll be looking into re-certification since new are about $156. each.
Wow 156.each... Mine ( in RI) were $75 each and I thought that was high. Chech around, you might find a better price.

Dave
Old 11-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

SUN #6579
Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
If it's a horizontal tank they are exempt (I believe it had a lot to do with the wall thickness). Lot of confusion here there was a date cut off as to valve replacement I kind of remember it was the location of the valve the early ones had the valve in the middle the newer ones at the top. They ruled the older ones that did not have an overfill system did not have to be replaced because no valve was available. All of the vertical tanks have to be recertified.
Never heard of that one.. Both here in Mass and in RI, they said I needed to replace tanks. I now use Blue Rhino replacement for my 20# tank at home, and had to bite the bullet for the 30# tanks in the campground ( RI ).

Dave
Old 11-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #10

SUN #9529
The tanks for my Que are horizontal. I did some reasearch for horizontal tanks and that was the best price so far. I guess we have time to do research on horizontal verse vertical rules? And I will definitely do more research before a final decision is made. Right now, both tanks are full.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #11

SUN #9529
Further research, I believe the exemption for the horizontal tank only apply to to OPD valves not to the age? Still needs recertification after 12 years although some states are 10 years.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
To help add to the discussion, when I was working we had an OSHA mandate come through that if you operated any ASME unfired pressure vessel, those that contained an ASME U stamp, you had to have an inspection program. The max time length between inspections was 5 years. Our camper LP tanks are made like the U stamped tank but since they travel over the highway, I think DOT regulations take over.

The key in this case of the tank is being an "unfired" pressure vessel. A steam generating boiler is considered a fired pressure vessel or any type of pressure vessel which is used to create pressure was a different inspection system, much more stringent. In our application, these unfired vessels where anything that had the U stamp. An air receiver, a steam storage tank, sterilizing machines, a pressurized water tank etc. In an industrial setting there are a lot of these in a manufacturing plant and they all need to be inspected. Think $$$$

The inspection consisted of an API-510 inspection. API = American Petroleum Institute. Seems the petro folks use a lot of big tanks and the rest of the industry follows their lead. This inspection was basically a visual inspection by a trained and certificated inspector. They would look at every weld seam, measure wall thickness, all areas of the tank, and they would do non destructive crack inspection if some part of the vessel was seen to need something more then the visual. If a defect was found it would create a case to have a special inspection to deal with the problem area.

When I went to get my LP tanks re-certified this spring, the gas company employees did a similar inspection like we did at work. They did a complete visual inspection of the tank. They also put new safety stickers on the tanks and one with their certification number as to who did the inspection. Then they put a date sticker on the tank labeling the date of the inspection and their company name. In our area the date sticker type is a problem. What my gas company had for stickers is what the state I believe allows them to use. The head worker was stating, they keep changing the rules as they do not yet have a good way to create these date stickers that works with all the inspection places. They hand write in on the tank sticker the date with a sharpie. It is what they have to work with until something better comes along. I asked if the dates get rubbed off... He said oh yes.

I had 2 tanks that came on the T-1950 when I bought it. They had a bad rust spot where the tanks where touching on the trailer LP storage rack. They would not pass those 2 tanks. He said, just use them up and they are done. I asked where do I take them when done? He pointed to the mega pile of old tanks they had. They have to pull the valves out and confirm they are empty before the steel scrape guy will take them.

Point is: The re-certification inspection of portable LP tanks is not hard to get done. They only take 5 to 10 minutes a tank and the cost I had was $4.00 a tank regardless if it was a 5# or 100# cylinder. And the tank does not have to be empty, it does not matter unless there is a big issue. The hard part is finding someone to do the inspection. There are a lot of places who fill tanks in our area, not very many who will re-certify them.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #13

SUN #2097
I do not believe the horizontal tanks need to be recertified they are completely different than vertical tanks. I also believe they are DOT tanks. Back in 98 they exempted them from having to replace the valves with overfill ones because no one made replacement valves. The older tanks had the valve in the middle of the face the newer one at the top they also have much thicker shells. All of the vertical tanks have to be certified.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #14

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wonder how much trouble it might be to install a quick disconnect and instead of taping an outside grille or other LP appliance have a hose made that will allow install of a LP tank into the system? I have seen times I would rather leave my LP tanks connected and use a "spare tank" as well.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #15

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, my '97 came with the original Manchester tanks from September 1996. Took them for recertification and fill at the local propane supply place, I think it was $12 to recertify each. Given how little I use the trailer, I'll probably have to have them recertified every time I fill them.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #16

SUN #2097
OK fixed tanks vers. removable. To me when someone says horizontal they are fixed tanks filled inplace saddle tanks and fixed compartment tanks.

ASME Tanks

No Recertification Period
Thicker Steel
Heavier than a DOT Tank of the same capacity
Designed for Stationary Installation. Not Designed to be moved when full
Design & Standards Governed by American Society of Engineers. (ASME)

DOT Tanks

Recertification Period are 12 Years after Manufactduring, then every 5 Years
Designed for Portable Applications
Design & Standards Governed by Department of Transporation (DOT)
Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #17

SUN #9529
The tanks on our Que are removable, horizontal, DOT. Not fixed. Although exempt from OPD as I understand, not exempt from recertification.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #18

SUN #2097
Yes they have to be inspected. I'm too used to MH's with fixed tanks my little Toyota MH had a saddle mount 30LB tank it was a 67 and it was not required to be re certified same with the side mounted fixed tanks in large campers.