Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #1

SUN #12594
Don M. is an unknown quantity at this point

New owner 1997 17ft Saturn. Need to know how to repair/replace converter.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Don,

Welcome to the club.

Replacing the power converter on older camper is common and many club members have done it.

We can help on replacing the power converter, but we need some more info from you to know which new one may fit in the space you have. Odds are high if yours is original, it may not be made any more. And the older converters were really not the best battery chargers. The new ones are much better.

Please give us the make and model of what you have now. Posting a few pictures of the old one, really helps too so we can see what you have and if a prior owner changed something.

For help on posting pics, see here.

There are 3 ways to add pics.

1. Upload pics to a specific post attaching them at the end of the post.

2. Linking them in from a public viewable web photo hosting service you have.

See here for 1 and 2 https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post86041

3. You can upload pics to the forum in your own personal photo album. Then link them to anywhere in the text of a post. See here on how to create an album. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post87945

If you still get stuck, let us know. Pic's go a long way in helping show things you are working on, and we really like seeing Sunline pics!

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #3

SUN #12594
Hi John, thanks for replying. I have a MagneTek 6300A 6332 32 smp service. I have taken pics of all the panels and labeling. However, I'm not very tech savvy so I don't know how to show them here. I don't understand the above directions either. Guess I'm showing my age (74). I have the owners manual for the camper and it appears to be the original installed. Does this help?

Thanks
Don y7
Old 05-11-2021, 05:22 PM   #4

SUN #89
Hi Don,

Since you gave us the MagneTek model number, that helps a lot. At this point, if we need to get into pics, we can help with that too. I can post them for you, but we may not have to get to that.

We have had other club members replace their MagneTek converters. Your model is now obsolete. But, there are several replacements for the actual converter portion. If your circuit breakers and fuses are OK, then you only have to replace the 12 VDC power converter portion.

I have changed other brands when they died, just not the same one as yours. If you are electrically handy, you can do this.

I would recommend going with the Progressive Dynamics 4600 series converter. They make a really good converter and the 4600 series is made specially to replace failed MagneTek converters. They are still made here in the USA. This series, this is a link to the PD site directly.
https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd4600-converter/

As you can see, the entire bottom of the old converter comes out and you put this one in.

Here is where I have bought my PD converters from. Best Converter.com https://www.bestconverter.com/Upgrad...llax_c_64.html

Best Converter is an authorized PD dealer and PD will back the warranty. There are a lot of clones out there trying to reproducer and sell them, they are fakes. So if you buy a PD from someone else, make sure they are an authorized dealer.

They are good folks there, they sell all brands including the PD 4600 series. Call them and tell them your old MagneTek converter numbers and they can match up the right PD converter to go in your old one. They also offer other brands too that will replace your old one. They do this all day long.

If you need help installing, we are here and then we will need to help get your pics posted.

Hope this helps.

John

PS. let us know how you make out.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #5

SUN #12594
Thanks John, I will check out these sites. I'm semi electrically knowledgeable. I have done some rewiring of 120 household outlets and switches.

I'm not sure, but I think the breakers and fuse area are functional. If I plug in pigtail of trailer, everything works. The guy, previous owner,used it like that for a couple years. He said when he got the trailer it had no battery, so he put in a new one. But nothing worked on 12volt. So he figures the converter is shot. Sound right to you??

I have a granddaughter who is good with �� email from phone. If you give me a direct email address I'm pretty sure she can send you you the pics.

Thanks again for being so helpful.
Don M.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
Thanks John, I will check out these sites. I'm semi electrically knowledgeable. I have done some rewiring of 120 household outlets and switches.

I'm not sure, but I think the breakers and fuse area are functional. If I plug in pigtail of trailer, everything works. The guy, previous owner,used it like that for a couple years. He said when he got the trailer it had no battery, so he put in a new one. But nothing worked on 12volt. So he figures the converter is shot. Sound right to you??

I have a granddaughter who is good with �� email from phone. If you give me a direct email address I'm pretty sure she can send you you the pics.

Thanks again for being so helpful.
Don M.
Hi Don,

If you know how to safely handle house hold 120 VAC wiring, those skills are the same when changing out the power converter. There are a few things to understand about the camper different then a house and we can help explain them, but knowing about 120 VAC safety is something you need to start with knowing.

If the prior owner just plugged the camper into the truck by way of the 7 wire cord, and the lights and other 12 VDC items inside all work, that is a good sign.

If he put a new battery in the camper and nothing worked, there is a fuse to protect the battery separate from the power converter area that may be blown and not allowing the 12 volts inside power up off the battery. And then with that older Magentek converter, they have a relay that connects in with the battery and controls when the battery can charge and when it can't. If the relay part does not work right, it may not allow the 12 volts from the battery back to camper. We would really need more info on that to sort out what is really wrong. That older converter is not really the best system. It did work, but nothing like the new converters that are much better for battery charging.

If it comes time to show pics, yes we can work out something off line. Those grandkids are a whiz at most anything dealing with a phone. All our grandkids grew up with the instant electronics at an early age. I'm still amazed how fast our 16 year old granddaughter can type with a thumb only flying all over the screen...

Hope this helps

John