Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-30-2020, 05:14 AM   #1

SUN #402
flbradjr
Axle flip T 2753 and New shank

Test msg of another Pic. I was curious to see if another picture would rotate or not.
Only thing I can think of is that the phone/camera was held horizontal.

Hitch & Shank upsidedown 08 30 20.jpg

Old 08-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #2

SUN #402
flbradjr
yes it rotated. Oops. Don't know why???

Old 08-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
In some cases, (phone dependent I believe,) the phone puts a position command into the picture file and the forum software reads the position and posts it the way. And we have not been able to change that, so pics can come out sideways or upside down some times.

The best hope for proper orientation with a phone, take the pic with the phone in it's normal upright position, then the pic will show that way on the forum.

It seems as phone cameras keep evolving, this problem might be going away as some folks do not have a problem while others do. There are a lot of different brand phones, and revisions within the brand, that we have not yet been able to pinpoint which phone/rev works and which does not to correct the rotation issue.

Your flipped up shank pic is how you would start the setup of the WD hitch after you do the axle flip.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #4

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, the issue, as confirmed by vBulletin support, is that the forum software ignores the EXIF rotation data in the file and simply displays the image as presented.

Holding the phone "upright" doesn't always work, because some phones have a different definition of that term than what seems right to us. With some empirical testing, you can determine what works with your phone.

Another way is to open the file in an image viewer/editor that reads and uses the orientation data, rotate it appropriately and re-save it for uploading. My application of choice for things like that is Irfanview, available free at www.irfanview.com.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:54 PM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Actually, the issue, as confirmed by vBulletin support, is that the forum software ignores the EXIF rotation data in the file and simply displays the image as presented.

Holding the phone "upright" doesn't always work, because some phones have a different definition of that term than what seems right to us. With some empirical testing, you can determine what works with your phone.

Another way is to open the file in an image viewer/editor that reads and uses the orientation data, rotate it appropriately and re-save it for uploading. My application of choice for things like that is Irfanview, available free at www.irfanview.com.
Thanks Tin,

Didn't know this. I myself have a rotation issue and it's not from the phone all the time. More web hosting file server issues. Maybe you have run into this.

I use my Sony camera, or even my Iphone 6S to take a sideways picture. I do have IrfranView (just rev 3.99), I rotate the pic in IrfranView, crop, shrink size, save it, then upload the file to my Flickr photo hosting site. Flicker then gets confused "sometimes" and will flip it again. It seems it does not want to read the IrfranView saved file correctly. It does not do this all the time, but about 50% to 75% of the time it seems.

Flickr has an online editor that allows me to rotate it, I will use that, the view rotates and re-saves it, but when I go to select the web address to bring to the forum, Flickr flips the pic flips once again. Errr...

My issue is not an actual V bulletin problem as it is will post what ever the Flickr files sends it. But the 1st issue appears to be that IrfranView does not totally correct the rotation file, I think.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

Old 08-31-2020, 06:08 AM   #6

SUN #10986
It's a confusing subject. I don't use Flickr, and my version of Irfanview is much newer, but I'll take a shot.

There are two switches in Irfanview that can have a bearing on this. Under Options, Properties/Settings, do you have "Auto-rotate image according to EXIF info (if available" checked? I'm thinking it should not be, so when you open a file it will be displayed in Irfanview with its "raw" orientation, which you can then correct by rotating.

Then when you Save As, (JPEG, right?) the Save Options dialog should have "Reset EXIF orientation tag" checked. That will set the rotation value to zero, and in theory it should display properly anywhere you send that file.

Short on time so I won't go any deeper until I see your response to this.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #7

SUN #89
Quote:
It's a confusing subject. I don't use Flickr, and my version of Irfanview is much newer, but I'll take a shot.

There are two switches in Irfanview that can have a bearing on this. Under Options, Properties/Settings, do you have "Auto-rotate image according to EXIF info (if available" checked? I'm thinking it should not be, so when you open a file it will be displayed in Irfanview with its "raw" orientation, which you can then correct by rotating.

Then when you Save As, (JPEG, right?) the Save Options dialog should have "Reset EXIF orientation tag" checked. That will set the rotation value to zero, and in theory it should display properly anywhere you send that file.

Short on time so I won't go any deeper until I see your response to this.
Thanks a bunch Tin! I think you are only something.

My version has the "Auto-rotating image to EXIF" unchecked,

I do save as a JPEG, but I cannot find the Save Options and the "Reset EXIF orientation tag" to reset to 0. That sounds like my issue. See here for my version of properties. Is the Save Options menu in the properties pull down? Maybe this is a version thing and I do not have it.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:34 PM   #8

SUN #10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Is the Save Options menu in the properties pull down? Maybe this is a version thing and I do not have it.
It's reached via the Save As dialog. In order to show it, you have to check "Show options dialog". I'm pretty sure it should be there in your version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Save As.jpg (66.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-31-2020, 04:53 PM   #9

SUN #10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Flickr has an online editor that allows me to rotate it, I will use that, the view rotates and re-saves it, but when I go to select the web address to bring to the forum, Flickr flips the pic flips once again.
Another piece of the puzzle: Google tells me that Flickr always keeps the file you uploaded in its original form. You can use their editor to resize/reorient/whatever a copy of that file, but the original is still there so you can revert to it if need be.

Without having used their service, I can postulate that it might be possible to inadvertently link to the original file rather than the modified copy. ???
Old 08-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #10

SUN #89
Tin,

I think I got it. The "Reset EXIF orientation flag" was not checked.

I just tried it on a pic that would not upload to Flickr correctly prior. After checking that box, it must of reset the orientation 0 during the IrfranView save. Now no need to rotate in Flickr if it goofed up as it was 50/50 chance or working anyway. It looked weird on the upload to Flickr. It started with the original landscape format, then rotated it to portrait format and saved it during the upload process. Here is my screen shot with the box checked.

Thanks a million! This "thing" had been a royal pain.

John

Old 08-31-2020, 05:42 PM   #11

SUN #10986
Love it when a plan comes together. Have a cigar.

Small payment for your service here.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:02 PM   #12

SUN #10986
John, do me a favor?

Quote:
Under Options, Properties/Settings, do you have "Auto-rotate image according to EXIF info (if available" checked?
Go ahead and check that, then open a "problem" file like the one you just had success with. It should obey the EXIF rotation data and display properly, despite the raw data being sideways.

Then Save As (with that reset EXIF data thing checked), and send it to Flikr. I bet it works that way, and saves you the step of manually rotating it.