Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2023, 04:23 PM   #1

SUN #6141
JCTravels is an unknown quantity at this point
Known leak - how to proceed with roof sag - T-2753

This past week we sprung a slow leak during our camping trip, so I was forced to address some roof neglect. I had the original EPDM roof coated in 2017 with the Dicor Cool Coat application and only twice completed caulk touch-ups since that time. Regretfully I haven't stayed on top of annual inspections and our Solaris is stored outside year round. Since we started leaking this week, I read through a number of threads, mostly from JohnB, describing a number of different roof maintenance items.

This is our family camper which we hope to use for many more years as we transition to military retirement next year. In September, we plan to build bunk beds for our young boys and make some additional changes throughout. Given that improvements are contingent on a leak-free camper, I want to ensure I'm not setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Acknowledging this leak is likely years in the making, I intend to stop the leak first. On the interior, there is no damage showing, yet. On the exterior, the EPDM roof is sagging in three spots and when pressed, show signs the bud board has deteriorated underneath. As a result, the sagging creates pooling, which I'm concerned about in the long-term. In the near term (this weekend), I will scrape away old caulk and seal up the seams with EternaBond tape. I'll follow up with Dicor Self-Leveling caulk in areas that need additional attention. Once the EternaBond and caulk have cured and outgassed, I'll seal the roof in mid-September with either Henry's TropiCool or Crazy Seal, depending on what I can get locally.

So my main questions for you are:
- Are my steps out of order or missing something?
- Is ok to put Henry's/Crazy Seal on top of a Dicor Cool Coat?
- Would it be possible or advisable to slide a thin board under the EPDM roof in the problem areas to prevent sagging/pooling?

I'm not too interested in a complete EPDM roof replacement due to cost and because there are no good RV shops near us in Northern Virginia. My last quote (in 2017) for a new roof was $10K, which exceeds the value of our camper, so I highly doubt prices have gone down since then.

I'm pretty confident in my ability to do most repairs, and I would prefer to do it myself. Would appreciate any advice or insight you're willing to offer.

Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5054.jpg (136.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5055.jpg (88.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5056.jpg (77.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5053.jpg (150.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5057.jpg (75.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5058.jpg (84.2 KB, 8 views)
Reese Dual Cam WD & SC
JCTravels is offline   Reply With Quote