Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-31-2023, 05:33 AM   #1

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Awning gets dirty

Seems every time I open my awning after there's been rain, I get a fair amount of water raining down as it's unrolled. If the awning has been closed for a few weeks, it begins to get dirty and I have to spend some time cleaning top and bottom of the fabric. On my 2470, I made a vinyl cover that completely enclosed the awning and that kept it dry and clean, but it was extra work to open and close the awning. On our current 2499, I tried sealing the ends thinking that the water was wicking in from the edges of the rolled up fabric, but when I opened it, the same thing happened, raining down as I unrolled it.

Looking at the awning, my next thought was that water could be entering along the entire length of the awning through the stitch holes at the attachment rail, so I've temporarily sealed the stitch holes along the entire length with packing tape. I'll check that at a future date. Now, my awning is 17 years old now, so the stitch holes have probably enlarged from age allowing water to enter. This may not be as much of a concern with a newer awning.

I'll post again once I have a chance to re-check.

Old 06-10-2023, 06:15 AM   #2

SUN #37
The stitch holes along the rail attached to the camper seems to be the entry point of the water, because when I opened the awning a few times after a rain, the underside was dry. The top gets a little water running down the awning as I unroll it, but that's from the water that accumulated on those last few inches of the awning that remains exposed while it was rolled up. So, it looks like I've found the problem. The solution would be to somehow seal the line of stitching along the aluminum rail that attaches the awning to the camper. I'll look into doing that, but at this point, I'm glad to have found out how the water was getting into the rolled up awning.
Hope this is helpful to others.
Rich

Old 06-12-2023, 06:11 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Rich,

I replied to your first post the day you made it. But... I must have had a senior moment, and for some reason, it did not post. I now see it is not there...

Let's try this again... I made a cover for my T2499 using PVC pipe. After many iterations of tweaking the design, I got it to work and keep the rain out. See here for the post on it. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post61133

The PVC pipe went down into the gutter rail and helped prevent the water from getting to the stitching. And the end caps helped prevent moisture from wicking in the ends under heavy rain.

Heads up, mine was not intended to be towed with it on, but it did make one trip to the campground by accident. Not sure I would trust or do this with fear of part of it coming off going down the road.

After I made mine, I saw a commercial product come out. A lot more costly, but made to fit. Not sure what they do with the ends of the awning wicking issue. https://savemyawning.com

Here is an older post with a video on the Protech cover https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...dew-14566.html

I used a seam sealer on my original T310SR awing, which you use on tent seams. I had drips leak through while camping which was why I used it. I do not recall the brand; I had it left over from the tent camping days. The brand I used turned a grayish-dark color that would not go away. Not sure all brands do that, but the one I had did.

I have also used the clear awning repair tape over the stitches to help seal them. This did not cause any color issues, but the tape does cost for a 21 ft awning, and it only lasted so many years before the tape disintegrated, being stored outside all the time back then.

This is the awning repair tape I used and have used on rips. The Life Safe brand is good quality; I cannot speak for the others.

They have it in different widths.
https://www.lifesafedirect.com/produ...ng-repair-tape

It seems Amazon has both the 3" wide and the 6". Shop around; the prices do vary.

https://www.amazon.com/Incom-Manufac...X2/ref=sr_1_14

the 6" https://www.amazon.com/Incom-RE1179-...74/ref=sr_1_27

Let us know how yours comes out.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 05:52 AM   #4

SUN #37
I wonder if a sealer from a tube might work? Maybe something either clear or white (to match the awning), might be good to use.
Rich
Old 06-13-2023, 11:05 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrt View Post
I wonder if a sealer from a tube might work? Maybe something either clear or white (to match the awning), might be good to use.
Rich
H'mm, that is not a bad idea. Here is what I would "not" suggest, do not use any kind of silicone-based caulk. It's the wrong application for this flexing situation.

I "would" suggest this, Proflex RV in clear or bright white. The color choice is yours, pending what you can get.

Proflex RV is rated for vinyl and can deal with flexing and UV. I have used much of this on the camper siding joints with very good results. https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/

I would try it using this method:

1. Clean the top awing exposed area from all dirt and/or mold with the cleaner you choose as needed. Rinse well and let it dry.

2. Wipe the stitch area plus about 3/4 to 1" on both sides of the top stitching to remove any cleaner residue with denatured alcohol or home isopropyl alcohol. Let it evaporate off.

3. Apply Proflex about 1/32" to 1/16" high (thick) smoothed-out bead over the main stitched area and about 1/4" or so beyond the stitches on both awning length-wise sides. Feather out the edges of the bead onto the main awning.

4. Let it cure overnight or longer before using the awning.

Tips on using Proflex if you have never used it before.

Do "not" apply in high heat, full sun hot vinyl, it cures too fast, and you cannot smooth it out; it globs all up. Wait for a dry, cool morning, evening, or cloudy day, ideally below 70-75F degrees.

Only apply about 2 to 3 ft of chalk at a time, then smooth out, then apply more. If you apply too long a bead, it will start the curing action and glob up and not smooth out.

Use a wet soapy finger to smooth it out. Do not wet the dry uncaulked area. Suggest 3 - 5 drops of Dawn dish soap in about 2 oz. of water to do the awning. You do not need much.

Where to buy it: You only need 1 tube.

The supply chain was really bad during Covid, with shortages all over. It is now coming back in supply at lower costs than the crazy $35 a tube during Covid. I used to buy it for about $7 a tube at RV Upgrades by the case before Covid.

Last week, at our local RV dealer, they had it for $11.30 a tube. Check your local dealers.

RV upgrades have it but charge freight unless you buy over $99 of other RV stuff, then free freight. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/shop-...rch=proflex+rv

Amazon has it, but the costs and shipping are all over the map. RV upgrades, even with freight, might be cheaper or your local RV dealer. Shop for it.

If you try this, let us know how it goes.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:25 AM   #6

SUN #37
That sounds good, Any product used to seal the stitch holes would have to adhere to vinyl, so thanks for the recommendation. Our awning is about ready for a replacement, so I may just wait until after I've installed a new fabric to do the sealing.
Rich