Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

SUN #9498
Draughty is an unknown quantity at this point
Add Inverter to 1999 Advancer

I am likely going to need to add an inverter to my system if and when I do some boondocking.
I need my CPAP and it needs 110AC to operate. I have a decent battery that should give me the whole night and both solar panel and a generator for recharging when needed.
What I do not have is a 12V outlet of any sort from what I can find. I saw that often they are in the location used for a TV but nothing there at all.
Is there a best way to do this? Obviously I primarily need it to run the CPAP so I could jerry rig something from the fuse box to the bed...but??
Any suggestions?

Old 09-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
What type of current (amps) are you trying to power? Some of the cigarette lighters are light duty and may not take it.

I myself have never done the Cpap powering but I know some of our members have. It might help to create a post in the community section to ask how Cpap users boondock camp. If you strike out, let me know I will see if I can get in touch with a fellow Sunline owner, he sold the camper and moved to Florida but I know he bookdocked in upstate NY most all the time and they had a Cpap machine run all night. I know he had 2 batteries on the camper. Do not recall the size.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #3

SUN #9498
I just looked at the specs on CPAP and it is just possible that is has DC 12V input.. if so I think I may be to do just a direct connect to 12 volt!
If this is the case where can I hook into a 12 volt supply line? One of the lights above the bed?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draughty View Post
I just looked at the specs on CPAP and it is just possible that is has DC 12V input.. if so I think I may be to do just a direct connect to 12 volt!
If this is the case where can I hook into a 12 volt supply line? One of the lights above the bed?
Is there a power rating tag for the 12 volt option? I really do not know those systems for power draw, using any of the camper existing wiring would be limited to a few amps unless you want to give up something to use that wiring.

If the amp draw of the Cpap is small enough, and you convert to LED light bulbs it might free up some capacity on a lighting circuit. But this all starts with how many amps will it take to run the unit on 12 VDC. Then hunt for what else is on the same fuse for the wire that is close and handy.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Near as I can tell they draw about 2.5 amp DC multiply usage time for amp hours. The group 24 battery is like 80 AH so 20 AH a day if used 8 hours with diminishing returns as the battery discharges.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #6

SUN #9070
Stubborn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
We use bipap multiple ways. 12v machine specific wire connect to what was an open spot on converter. Plugged in if desired 115v..almost never now as the 12v is installed permanent. As a backup have one of those jumper battery things. Suggest check my posts with pictures on facebook owners group. Sorry headed to town for day. Will reply as able.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #7

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draughty View Post
Yeah it's not a huge draw that would work.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

SUN #2097
Little hint with inverters some have idling current meaning they will draw a bit of power when they are not doing anything if they are connected. It can drag a battery down over time.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #9

SUN #9498
Checked my machine and it does not have 12V input!
So I do need some sort of inverter.
Wondering if I can hook a small one to the light wiring above the bed end and be able only have it draw when the CPAP is in use?
An inline switch between the powered line and the inverter to cut the power completely?
On/Off switch on my CPAP is a bit wonky anyway and I use an external switch for power all the time.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #10

SUN #9498
Lots of great info guys!
I will check that Facebook page later as well!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #11

SUN #7588
B Mitch is an unknown quantity at this point
FYI most CPAP machines have a heater for the water. I found that going into the CPAP program and shutting this off saves a huge amount of energy and extends the battery life whether you are on 12v or using an inverter and 110v. I use this as an excuse to not use it for a night or two. Stupid CPAP.
Good Luck!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #12

SUN #9498
Yeah I quit using the humidifier years ago..the CPAP? Can't sleep without it anymore...health benefits aside I just am not able to sleep well without it..on my side if absolutely have no option.
There is a nose stickon bandaid sort of option that isn't well documented but I have some on hand in case of power failure. I have yet to try them...
Had my times when first starting over 15 years ago that the mask hit the wall in the middle of the night...now it's my sleep buddy!images%20(1).jpeg