Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #1

SUN #5510
capecamper is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to repair the wheel skirts

I have a pristine 2006 T264SR. All showroom, except the plastic wheel skirts and trim around the steps are cracked in many places. Replacements are expensive and flat. The originals bend around the contours of the camper.

Has anyone tried to repair the originals? I plan to use a lightweight epoxy and some kind of cloth like for auto body repair.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-25-2020, 06:54 AM   #2

SUN #11755
Torskdoc423 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd take them off and repair from the back side with Fiberglass resin and cloth. If the flanges are cracked extend the fiberglass cloth onto the flanges. Let harden and then sand out the high spots on the flanges, and trim the edges of the cloth to the flanges. Extend the resin out past the cloth 1" minimum. If the cracks fill with resin all the better. Just sand smooth on the outside and use spot filler (red stuff in the tube), sand smooth then paint.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #3

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
I get it on the expense, and I love DIY projects and am handy with fiberglass, but darn I don't think I'd attempt that. The Icon parts are well made and when I put them on, they went on smoothly and look really sharp. I was able to reuse nearly all the original holes and get it on looking perfect. Went on quick too and tight enough that I didn't recaulk them to cover the skirt to trailer like the factory job. I bedded all the screws and the unfilled original screw holes in dicor. The new ones take just the same shape as the original.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi capecamper,

There are a few ways how to do this. I went the ABS solvent weld method and welded in other rigid ABS plastic or stainless steel as needed depending on what the repair needed.

I have repaired ABS fender skirts and other ABS plastic parts on my big camper or my project campers with very good and lasting success. This post helps explain how solvent welding will work and how I did it. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...air-18665.html

Since that post, I have done the same process on fender skirts, especially where the screw holes crack out. In that case, I weld in a stainless flat washers into the big hole and that fixes the cracked out holes. I just never got the pics up on the web yet, but have them if needed.

On your T-264SR, I think yours has the gold big flare in the center between the tires fenders??. And that the big flare between the tires bows out in the heat. Is that right? Posting pics helps us know what you are up against and better how to fix it .

I have a method that can help with the bow out flare, but before I type a bunch on a problem that you may not have, give us some more what is cracked/broke. Again, pics in these cases really helps.

Hope this helps

John

PS. I have also bought the Icon replacement parts, AC shrouds, shower domes, and including fender skirts when so much of my old fender was "missing" from a tire failure. While they cost, I have had very good luck with any of their products and they have good quality.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote