Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #1

SUN #12107
ibirman is an unknown quantity at this point
Caulk front window?

We have a small leak in the front window, I think I just need to re-caulk around the outside and check the seam above it on the roof. What kind of caulk can I use for the window, just regular outdoor window caulk from Home Depot, or is there something specific for RVs?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Dyna...8275/100035980

I'll clean and re-add Dicor on the roof above as well.

Thanks!
Igor

Old 08-02-2021, 09:05 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Igor,

Many of the home type sealants really do not last long on the camper application when doing siding sealing. The flexing of the camper creates flexing that does not occur on a house.

If you are talking about a leak between the siding and the front window frame, I use this product, Proflex RV, https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/

They sell it ay many places that sells RV parts. Pic the color that matches your camper.

A few tips on applying it:
- Make sure you clean all the dirt off stuck to the old putty tape. That black yuk will turn gray when you get all the dirt and mold off.
- When smoothing it out, cut the tube tip small. Gun it on as good as you can.
- Using a soapy wet finger, tool it out, (spread it out) smooth it out. Keep your finger wet and it will smooth out nice.
- Do not apply on a hot summer day, it dries to fast.
- Only apply about 2 to 3 feet length of caulk, tool it out, then apply more. If you put all the caulk on an entire front window at once, it will tack up too much, drag, and make a mess when you start tooling it out.

You did not mention if the leaks was on the glass to metal frame, if it is glass to frame, Proflex RV does come in clear also and is glass rated. I use Parbond on glass sealing, I find it here at PPL. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...-clear_38-8722

While I have not used the Proflex on glass, the product is very good and if Geocel rates it on glass, if I could not get the Parbond, I would try it.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #3

SUN #1853
jammcurran is an unknown quantity at this point
Front window leak

If it is leaking between the camper and window frame I recommend pulling the window frame and redoing the sealant compressed between. If the sealant is not under compression it tends to crack/lift and breakdown the seal in short time.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #4

SUN #12107
ibirman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the advice, I replaced the caulking on the outside of the frame with Proflex RV sealant, it's keeping everything dry so far, I'll look out for any issues and I'll pull the frame if it starts doing it again.