Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #1

SUN #11327
SteelWheels is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 QUE 5.4 SE Wheel Hub

So my bearings just went out on me and I am trying to find replacements. Does anyone know the specs? These axle hubs are not the norm that O am used to. The hub is actually part of the brake drum. Any help appreciated.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi SteelWheels,

Welcome!

The Que camper is different then many of the other Sunlines, however I had not heard the axle was all that much different.

And yes, on all the Sunline campers, the bearing hub and brake drum are all one piece. That is common in the trailer industry. Not common at all in the automotive industry.

According to the Que brochure, they had a torsion (aka rubber ride) type of axle. And they stated the axle had the Ultra lube feature. The term Ultra lube was a Alko Inc, trade name. Dexter Axle inc uses the wording EZ lube.

Since it is a 3,500# GVWR trailer, it should have a 3,500# axle setup which is normally a 10" dia. x 2 1/4" wide wide brake setup.

If you have the Sunline manual, it will confirm the axle brand, Alko or Dexter. Parts are very available for both brands since Dexter ended up buying Alko. If you have no manual, the brand name Dexter or Alko is usually cast into the dram drum. If you have the drum off, measure the drum ID at the brake ares or over the brake shoes. And the width.

The actual bearings are standard along with the grease seal. There are several places to buy them from, just we need you to confirm what brand axle and that the size is 3,500#? The VIN tag on the front left side of the camper should have a GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) and see if it says 3,500 #. This is not to be confused with the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) which also can be 3,500# in your case)

You can take the old bearings, races and seals down to a local NAPA auto parts store and they can match them up off the numbers on the bearing, race and seal. Or we can help you find on line once we know the brand and size.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #3

SUN #11327
SteelWheels is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi John.

First, thank you very much for providing such a detailed response. Great information and I appreciate it. Sorry for not respondong sooner. I was actually in the side of the road at the time racking my brain trying to figure out my situation. It ended up being quite the adventure that weekend.

I was 20 minutes away from my destination, when I saw the smoke coming from trailer wheel well in my drivers side mirror. I pulled over as soon as safely able to do so. At first glance, I knew it was a catastrophic failure. I grease regularly so the root cause escapes me. Luckily I travel with my mechanics tools. I wanted to avoid towing and giving up on my trip and was determined to get back on the road.

First step was identifying the bearing components. Problem was, after disassembling everything right there on the side of the road, there was nothing left to identify. That's when I started my internet search which led me here. I ended up finding a post somewhere that gave me the most common bearing ID numbers for torsion 3500lb axles with quick lube. I then used those numbers to identify possible bearing kits that would fit. I then started calling around to the nearest parts stores but no one was showing any in stock. I was running out of options until I came across a trailer dealership 30 miles away. The parts guy said they didnt show anything in inventory, but he would go look in the back anyway. He came back and said he had a kit that looked like it had been back there on the shelf for 10 years. I said "On the way!"

I went and picked it up. I could tell it was old because the blister pack packaging was yellowed and brittle and falling apart. But the components looked good. I took the hub with me to verify fitment. It looked good to me. Now I had to get the race out of the hub. Ibdidnt have a punch with me so I went to the closest auto parts store to get on about 15 miles away. When I got to the auto parts store I saw a small car shop across the street. I thought, let me see if they are able to press out the old components and save me that fight. It was a seedy area and it looked like they were about to close, but I said what the heck. Sure enough they said no problem. They asked if I had the new components and said they would assemble and pack the grease too at no additional charge. So fot $20, I was on my way back with a completely rebuilt and greases hub.

Got back to the trailer and there was a guy parked behind it with his flashers on. I hitched back up and he came out to offer assistance. Said he lived nearby and wanted to make sure everything was okay and see if I needed anything. I said I was okay and he said he would leave his truck positioned to protect me until I was done. Got it all back together and was ready to hit the road. I thanked him and he said he would follow me for a bit to make sure I made it to my destination. I thought it odd but what could I say. So off I go and to the destination without any additional issues. The guy waves and continues on his way. This whole episode took approximately 5 hours.

But wait, that isnt the end of it....(sorry for long winded post, but its a good story!) So the next night I am sitting at the campfire with friends and the campground security buggy pulls up and tells me there is guy up front claiming to have one of my tools I left on the ground. Now I know I had all of my tools so I was confused by this. So I go up to the front to see what was going on. The guy that had followed me to the campsite was there. He apologised for the interruption and said he didn't have any tool. He just told that to security because they were giving him a hard time. He just wanted to stop by and drop off some items to me and my wife. He must of noticed the puzzled look on my face and laughed and said that is just what he does in his spare time. Turns out he is one of the owners of one of the largest blueberry farms in the US and he just pays it forward in his spare time. He just looked like a simple old modest farmer to me. He had a truck full of goods that he was distributing around the area to those in need. He ended up giving us several quarts of fresh blueberries, strawberries, cherries, and a dozen ears of fresh sweet corn from his farm. Tjen he topped it off with a bottle of champagne and two champagne glasses. I was just floored and didnt know what to say. I thanked him profusely. We chatted for a bit and he went on his way.

The trip started out nightmarish, but we perservered, and it ended being a great vacation with a happy ending. As information, the bearing component kit# I used was:

BK2-100
Bearing kit for #84 spindle
3.5k# axle
10-19 Double lip seal
L68149 inner bearing
L44649 outer bearing
L44610 outer race
L68111 inner race

This is what I used. Only use as reference. Verify for your own usage.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
WOW, Now that was an "adventure"!

Glad it all worked out. And yes, there are good Samaritans out there. Especially fellow camper folks who may have a camper, but are just passing by in their normal car.

I had a tire failure saga in route to and from camp a few years back and I 3 guardian angels come to my rescue on all 3 tire failures in 3 different locations. Nothing like being broken down on the side of the road and have someone come to just help!

Thanks for sharing.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote