Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
TV Antenna Rotor

Couldn't resist publishing this one. I know there are a few ham radio operators here so I'd thought I'd post this.

My build is kind of corny, maybe even silly.

I bought a cheapy RV antenna combination antenna and rotor at a flea market a couple of years ago for $10 along with another Yagi.

Hey something to play with and didn't expect much. I have two towers, a 40ft at the house for my ham and DX TV stations and another 20ft tower off the rear of my shop (back yard) beside the shop I have a approx, 75ft Poplar tree, healthy as can be. I have cable at the house but I'm also experimenting with OTA systems, so one day I'll dump cable.
I aimed the antenna (with using the rotor towards the CN Tower in Toronto. Got tons of stations and some stations off the side. It worked awesome so didn't bother wiring up the rotor even though I knew the rotor worked 100%. Well, last month we had some heavy winds (you guessed it) a small branch fell from up top of the tree bang on to the RV antenna. It bent many elements out of seven and the plastic body of the housing to smithereens. I soon discovered that the mechanics of the antenna were still in primo condition. Removed all the elements, straightened them out and saved for a future project.
Peeled away much of the "crispy" and "brittle" plastic and found also that the rotor and all its pieces were also still operational.

What a waste to throw this tiny rotor system out. BTW this rotor, or rotator, is extremely light duty.

I decided to do something , so I experimented and changed my mind a few times on design. Being "cheap" is my number one goal (most hams are).

I went to the dollar store and bought one of those ZIP or Tupperware type containers. The one I bought; the lid was able snap onto the body in all four corners.
Made some measurements drilled some holes and fabricated a couple of brackets for stability. $30 for two muffler clamps, $2 for that Tupperware type container. Everything else I had on hand.

I even sealed the top end with a tight fitting "O" ring for weather proofing and left the bottom for the mast pole more or less unsealed.

The antenna I have on top of the 20 ft tower right now is a salvaged antenna I bought from a buy & sell want ad online another $10. Because it was VHF/UHF I cut it down to size for higher gain on the UHF end. It works better than the previous ant.

In a day or so I plan to install my "new-and-improved" rotor on the tower for a 360 look at local RF. I only lack the 'limit-switch' that would prevent the 360+ plus rotation (not worried)

Who says seniors can't have fun with without spending money?

I know it looks kind of goofy and would I place my new LIGHT duty rotor high up on a 40ft tower? No, not unless it was super tested. Dollar store stuff ....um say no more. But for a short 20ft tower? let's go for it.
In a few days I'll post the results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1286.jpg (104.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1287.jpg (65.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1289.jpg (73.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1290.jpg (82.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1291.jpg (113.6 KB, 2 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jerry,

How did it work out? I'm not a ham guy, but interested anyway.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi John:
I know it works on the bench but due to bad weather from that Mexican hurricane it hit us several days later. Then My wife and I have been helping our daughter with her kids since out daughter just got out of a Thyroid surgery. They live in the next town so I've been busy bombing back and forth. I have a wee bit of hardware yet to buy and then it goes up along with the 12VDC wiring. Hopefully next week, unless the snow flies (yuck)
I'll keep you guys posted

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote